Sign in to follow this  
Rich_R

Arma 3 and the real world

Well Lemnos is about 477 sq. km, Chernarus is 225 sq. km and Sahrani was 101.62 sq. km.

Seems to nearly double each iteration.

Can you give me numbers for Everon, Malden and Nogova?

Can you give me numbers for Everon, Malden and Nogova?

They are approximately 100 sq. km each.

Now i'm confused. If Sahrani is 101.62sq. km and you state the islands of OFP are each approximately 100 sq. km each, how come the community BIKI states Sahrani is as big as all 4 islands from OFP (everon, malden, kolgujev, nogova) combined?

Now i'm confused. If Sahrani is 101.62sq. km and you state the islands of OFP are each approximately 100 sq. km each, how come the community BIKI states Sahrani is as big as all 4 islands from OFP (everon, malden, kolgujev, nogova) combined?

The original quote:

Armed Assault aims to replicate the realism of combat in a highly intense, brand new campaign, all of which takes place on islands that may measure up to 400 square kilometers (about 250 sq. miles): four times larger than the islands of Everon and Malden featured in Operation Flashpoint.

I am not sure if they are including the ocean/water in the measurement.

Well Lemnos is about 477 sq. km, Chernarus is 225 sq. km and Sahrani was 101.62 sq. km.

Seems to nearly double each iteration.

Lemnos is the terrain they based the game on, not necessarily the actual island ArmA 3 takes place on.

If you read the thread, you would already know that the new island isn't a 1:1 scale representation of Lemnos.

Edited by Max Power

Ok so my guess is that Malden or Everon could be 25 sq. km of land.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Lemnos is the terrain they based the game on, not necessarily the actual island ArmA 3 takes place on.

If you read the effing thread, you would already know that the new island isn't a 1:1 scale representation of Lemnos.

Yes, as everon is not 400sq. km like Krk Island.

If you read the thread, you would already know that the new island isn't a 1:1 scale representation of Lemnos.

Dear me, I stand corrected.

I´ll ask again here, will Arma3 feature Rivers? I mean real ones, not only lakes, or dry river beds, but a real streaming river?

You can use Photoshop's Histogram function to get a count of selected pixels. So, by using the Magic Wand on a downloaded map of Sahrani which just happens to be 1000 pixels by 1000 pixels and that if we take the map to be the full 20km x 20km, I can tell you that:

The entire map = 1,000,000 pixels

Sea area = 752,891 pixels

Land area = 247,109 pixels

So the landmass of Sahrani, according to my initial rough analysis, seems to be about:

98.8436 km^2 (38.16 sq miles).

Kolgujev seems like it's (around) 21.8 km^2

Everon seems like it's (less than) 38.2 km^2

Malden seems like it's (less than) 52.1 km^2

Nogova seems like it's roughly one third the landmass of Sahrani.

Sahrani is said to be 110km^2

Takistan is 160km^2

Chernarus is 220 km^2

It seems like the Lemnos based island will be 380km^2

Awesome post there MAX!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I'd say Nogova looks around 45km^2 of land.

Edited by CarlosTex

I think that your first estimation of around 65 was probably more accurate. Its seems like Nogova is smaller than north Sahrani but larger than south Sahrani. The first pic I posted has it smaller on there. This larger pic makes more sense in relation to the size of the other islands at any rate.

Edited by Max Power

Oh come on guys, am I the only one who wants rivers?

No! Streams, rivers, water! It would be good to negiotiate a obstacle other than a road while on foot patrol.

And AI crossable bridges (by foot).

@Tonci

well look here ,in the right corner you can see a stream of water, and in the RL location there is a small river at this exact location. But we still dont know if its possible

Edited by PurePassion

Yes, it's little smaller. But not much.

There are more reasons, especially the travel distances.

In my ears not good to hear.

Thats what i always hate in recent BIS Games, the wrong scale. Feels totally unnatural.

It was already the same in Chernarus, you could walk up a "huge" RL mountain in Arma2 in like 3 minutes, while looking the original spot with google earth and judging by sizes of houses roads and stuff, i bet in RL you would have taken like 30minutes at least.

Who cares about travel distances? Do you want to bring out a "most realistic military simulator" (like A2 was called on the packaging already- haha) or an arcade game? :rolleyes:

Rather adopt the missions from campaign and scenarios instead of killing real-world immersion, by reducing the scale.

Furthermore try to remember that the community actually creates the best and most played missions/campaigns/scenarios whatever.

So please give us the real scale. :cool:

In my ears not good to hear.

Thats what i always hate in recent BIS Games, the wrong scale. Feels totally unnatural.

It was already the same in Chernarus, you could walk up a "huge" RL mountain in Arma2 in like 3 minutes, while looking the original spot with google earth and judging by sizes of houses roads and stuff, i bet in RL you would have taken like 30minutes at least.

Who cares about travel distances? Do you want to bring out a "most realistic military simulator" (like A2 was called on the packaging already- haha) or an arcade game? :rolleyes:

Rather adopt the missions from campaign and scenarios instead of killing real-world immersion, by reducing the scale.

Furthermore try to remember that the community actually creates the best and most played missions/campaigns/scenarios whatever.

So please give us the real scale. :cool:

Totally agree. Travel distances? There are tons of vehicles for that.

PS You're not right about Chernarus, it is actually 1:1.

PS You're not right about Chernarus, it is actually 1:1.

And where did you heard that? :D

_neo_

And where did you heard that? :D

Google Earth will help you;)

Google Earth will help you;)

Sorry to say mate, but Chernarus is no where near 1:1 scale.

_neo_

Uh... I'm pretty sure Chernarus' terrain was 1:1. If you overlay a map of Chernarus over the actual region it's based on in České Středohoří (like so, open in Google Earth) it will be 15.36 km on a side, like Chernarus' landmass. Some of the towns even look close to 1:1 to their real counterparts.

Lemnos might have been scaled both for gameplay and software reasons - both the tools we have, and the game to some extent, aren't fans of 4096 pixel heightmaps, and to recreate the island, which is roughly 30*40km, at 1:1 scale with a 7.5m grid would require one. Though I'd have hoped they'd fix at least that in A3 when VBS2 is getting support for gigantic maps...

Based on the "2.4 times the size of Takistan" comment, I'm guessing we will get a 20*20km island (or slightly bigger) but with a 7.5 meter grid. They might be taking advantage of a feature mentioned in a recent VBS2 presentation, too, which would let them use heightmaps which aren't necessarily a power of two, meaning it doesn't have to be one of the sizes we're used to from ArmA 2. Just speculation though.

Edited by cctoide

Sorry to say mate, but Chernarus is no where near 1:1 scale.

_neo_

Just double checked that. For example "Pik Kozlova" in A2 is 225m, google shows approx 220m. Then you can look for distance from Spukayev's house straight south to the river/"sea" - it's 10.5km.:p

Yes, I may be wrong, but looking at the real map, the villages, towns and cities are no where near 1:1 scale, the number of buildings and density.

_neo_

Yes, I may be wrong, but looking at the real map, the villages, towns and cities are no where near 1:1 scale, the number of buildings and density.

_neo_

Yes they are. Especially the area in the center map is 99% acurate down to every single bush.