Does placing Civs with say an UPSMON script assoicated with them. use more resources using ALICE or Civ Module?

Does placing Civs with say an UPSMON script assoicated with them. use more resources using ALICE or Civ Module

I'd think it would...

I had a basic suicide bombers script in my little personal Fallujah PMC domination... I put 50 civs on the map in a single big UPS zone, wandering at random - all primed to be bombers...

Fallujah's a BIIG city - it worked out you saw maybe 4 civilians in an average evening, and they got shot on sight - 'cause they were obviously suicide bombers...

50 civs on the map - and you see maybe 4 in a play session... not good...

With the ALICE module there's like 10 or 15 - in your immediate area - and that "immediate area" moves with you... and with a different suicide bomber script - maybe hitched to a random genuine civ, you have much much more confusion for players about who's dangerous and who's not... plus only 15 units wandering the map instead of 50...

Sounds like more efficient to me.....

B

Well... i must say that Bushlurker is the real creator of civilians on Fallujah... i simply packed his p3d's, so every credit is to him. I personally have a good bottle of scotch whiskey to be mailed to him... we have nice scotch here in Italy ;)

Nice work on the new update shezan!

Thank you Marko for providing mirror and space :)

Well... i must say that Bushlurker is the real creator of civilians on Fallujah... i simply packed his p3d's, so every credit is to him. I personally have a good bottle of scotch whiskey to be mailed to him... we have nice scotch here in Italy ;)

Thank you Marko for providing mirror and space :)

what do i need to do to also get a bottle ? :p the city is getting better and better all the time keep it up (one little request though , please make som larger emptry spot so mission builders can create a government centre (or create one please) )

cool! ive been playin around with MSO on Fallujah, so i'm interested to see how the changes influence things. If the ai could ever one day show their appreciation they'd be doin burnouts on the main drag of fallujah

eb

great map but I can't join a server with Fallujah. to high ping (I'm based in Holland) or I need ACE.... :(

great map but I can't join a server with Fallujah. to high ping (I'm based in Holland) or I need ACE.... :(

Elite Arma Warriors is running a Fallujah Insurgency server. It's US based, but we have a couple guys from Germany hop on with good pings. No ACE (Having any ACE folders will get you kicked, by the way)

:)

ok, so just filter for Elite Arma Warriors? (just to be sure) if I got some time I'll hop on.

Super, awesome, epic work man!

Just have one small thingy i have to ask, whats up with the street lights?

Look @ 1:10

bGC0Gyg45Cs

it's a characteristic of the Arma2 city streets. I think it's related to performances. the light shows up only when you're close to the lamp. I wondered how fallujah could be with the lightning system correctly working, when viewed from the air :)

it's a characteristic of the Arma2 city streets. I think it's related to performances. the light shows up only when you're close to the lamp. I wondered how fallujah could be with the lightning system correctly working, when viewed from the air :)

It would look fantastic!

Dont know where i saw it, but someone made a function to the powersource, and if you blew one of those up, the lights would go dark!

Just a cool thing that could be added :D

-Edit

Is it possible alter and put runway lights in the streetlights? i mean, you could see the runway lights for miles.

And alter the yellow color to white, hmm :dozingoff:

fallujah @ night

Three%20Marines%20Night%20Fallujah.jpg

Edited by johanna

Nice :) Maybe could be easier to change light models instead of hand placing runway lights on 10.000+ street lights :)

+1 for next release ;)

Fallujah was from the beginning on one of my favourite maps. Very nice, you did a great job, thank you very much!!!

Does the BIS Civ Module work with Fallujah?

What advice for giving the best performance and having Civs in about a 500 X 500 area on Fallujah map?

Does the BIS Civ Module work with Fallujah?

What advice for giving the best performance and having Civs in about a 500 X 500 area on Fallujah map?

Yes it does in 1.2. Just put the ambient civilian (expansion) module down in the editor and you'll see a few civs in the city proper. They barely impact performance (I've never seen more than 4-5 at a time). The ambient civilian vehicles module tends result in a bigger FPS hit in my experience.

Has anyone else experienced issues with using the map in Fallujah v1.2 ?

I can only zoom down to 200m resolution using the mouse, I can zoom in further if I use the keyboard - but as soon as I let go of the key it zooms back out to 200m res. As well it looks like the north/south map coords reset themselves halfway through the city.

Any ideas ?

If you using ACE, it's normal. Only 4 digits on the map

Just put the ambient civilian (expansion) module down in the editor and you'll see a few civs in the city proper. They barely impact performance (I've never seen more than 4-5 at a time). The ambient civilian vehicles module tends result in a bigger FPS hit in my experience.

To keep the numbers of Civs within sanity levels in an environment like Fallujah, they're limited to "living" in a few key residential-type buildings... some areas have more of these houses than others - so some areas have more inhabitants than others...

The Ambient Civilian (Expansion) module cunningly limits the civs - usually - to an area of roughly 500m... in an average residential-style area, that could mean anything up to 20 Civs, though you won't see them all at once of course - they're wandering the streets of that 500m area...

One easy way to visualise what's happening is to use the Editor...

* place a player somewhere in the town (civilian players are less frightening than soldiers ;))

* Add an Ambient Civilian (Expansion) Module, and paste this into it's init line...

this setvariable ["debug",true]

(I think ;))

... and hit "preview"...

Immediately go to map mode and you'll be able to see all the invisible "City Center" zones Shezan has included in the town...

Give it a minute or two and you'll see the zone you're in become "active" and you'll see markers for civs and their matching houses appear and they'll start to wander...

Notice also on the map the grey shaded lines which seem to connect the civilian zones... these are Shezan's pre-programmed "neighbors" parameters - connecting the zones... If a civ decides to take a drive he has somewhere to go! Also - technically - Civs might "know about" things happening in neighbouring zones - but that's all a little hit and miss...

While you're in debug civilians mode - try placing an Ambient Civilian Vehicles Module too - put the same debug line in it's init line - you'll get markers for all the vehicles too! - Notice however that, in order to tempt civs to actually use the vehicles and travel about a bit - the Vehicles Module DOESN'T limit itself to your immediate CityCenter zone - but populates the neighbouring zones as well! This is why there could be a noticable additional FPS hit from the Vehicles Module...

Generally - if you actually want civs driving around, I'd suggest skipping the default Ambient Vehicles and taking a look at Trexians "JTD Ambient Traffic"... this requires the Civs Module to be placed, but it takes care of the vehicles itself - no need for the Vehicles Module at all, and it "forces" some civs to be drivers from the start...

Works fine - but keep an eye on your FPS levels!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks for all the info and tips Bushlurker, very very useful. I reckon getting a decent ambient civilian vibe happening is pretty much essential to decent immersion on any map. Prior to you and Shezan's excellent work, I had to use DAC to spawn civilians on Fallujah, but they never really worked that well.

To keep the numbers of Civs within sanity levels in an environment like Fallujah, they're limited to "living" in a few key residential-type buildings... some areas have more of these houses than others - so some areas have more inhabitants than others...

The Ambient Civilian (Expansion) module cunningly limits the civs - usually - to an area of roughly 500m... in an average residential-style area, that could mean anything up to 20 Civs, though you won't see them all at once of course - they're wandering the streets of that 500m area...

One easy way to visualise what's happening is to use the Editor...

* place a player somewhere in the town (civilian players are less frightening than soldiers ;))

* Add an Ambient Civilian (Expansion) Module, and paste this into it's init line...

this setvariable ["debug",true]

(I think ;))

... and hit "preview"...

Immediately go to map mode and you'll be able to see all the invisible "City Center" zones Shezan has included in the town...

Give it a minute or two and you'll see the zone you're in become "active" and you'll see markers for civs and their matching houses appear and they'll start to wander...

Notice also on the map the grey shaded lines which seem to connect the civilian zones... these are Shezan's pre-programmed "neighbors" parameters - connecting the zones... If a civ decides to take a drive he has somewhere to go! Also - technically - Civs might "know about" things happening in neighbouring zones - but that's all a little hit and miss...

While you're in debug civilians mode - try placing an Ambient Civilian Vehicles Module too - put the same debug line in it's init line - you'll get markers for all the vehicles too! - Notice however that, in order to tempt civs to actually use the vehicles and travel about a bit - the Vehicles Module DOESN'T limit itself to your immediate CityCenter zone - but populates the neighbouring zones as well! This is why there could be a noticable additional FPS hit from the Vehicles Module...

Generally - if you actually want civs driving around, I'd suggest skipping the default Ambient Vehicles and taking a look at Trexians "JTD Ambient Traffic"... this requires the Civs Module to be placed, but it takes care of the vehicles itself - no need for the Vehicles Module at all, and it "forces" some civs to be drivers from the start...

Works fine - but keep an eye on your FPS levels!

B

Another interesting thing to try with that Ambient Civ debug thing I described above is to make the player a BLUFOR and, when you spot a few civs, shoot them! :D... then flip back to mapmode and see the Civs "we hate you" rating rise... they're all red and angry now, and even if they do "knows about" something, they ain't in a mood to tell you...

After a while they'll calm down and go all green again, but if you were to keep killing Civs, the negative rating might get so high that they'll start throwing stones at you, or even pick up a spare weapon and take a shot.... at least, that's the theory...

A cunning scriptmaker could maybe hook in to that parameter - exaggerate that behaviour... maybe even tie in suicide-bombing to extreme values... so, instead of there always being suicide bombers around via predictable script, the civs would only resort to violence as a result of the players actions...

Sadly, I'm not that cunning scriptwriter... oh well...:o

B