Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Improved BRDM2 units

PB, I'm not sure how the sights are configured to be honest. I have set the unit to use the standard ATGM optic reticule.

Fair enough, it was more of general knowledge search. I think the standard should suffice for what is essentialy a periscope

I found that pic by Google search on 9P124.

Your search was right, but you needed to look for the missiles with the blunt nose

I did find a few pics of the 9P124 (apparently) and they do use the pop-up covered launcher rack. So now I know what to model. I do want to add that model since the OPFOR and insurgents need something more interesting and significant than a UAZ-MG to drive around with, and it stands to reason that a poorly-funded insurgency would be using 2nd-string hand-me-down equipment they can scrape together. Also adds some possibilities for more 3rd world scenarios. I will probably make that a version 2 release just so I can get these other models out there.

Speaking of which...

I think I am going to add the Mk-19, M2, and either GPMG or M249 models after all. That TOW model was tricky to develop so I might as well get the most out of it :)

If I new how to make new textures I would add a UN model for that faction. I'm afraid my texture would look like crap. I would also like to have additional textures for the police model.

QUESTION - what about a PMC-style BRDM with a minigun on top? I'm thinking that a PMC-style team or organization would theoretically be able to purchase a BRDM from *somewhere* and use it as their up-armored patrol vehicle. Heck I can buy one right now online for $20k! This vehicle would be interesting from the perspective that the PMC would have a bit more to play with than that SUV with the minigun. Still a "poorly" armored scout car underneath. "Eggshell with attitude" :) Thoughts?

I do have one issue I need to work out. When in the gunner position in the TOW model the driver and commander are always turned out, no matter what. I believe it is something to do with the proxy but I need to figure it out. For version 1 I will probably remove the driver and commander ability to turn out in those models in order to release it as-is. However I would like to figure out the problem so I can keep that ability.

Edited by hcpookie

QUESTION - what about a PMC-style BRDM with a minigun on top? I'm thinking that a PMC-style team or organization would theoretically be able to purchase a BRDM from *somewhere* and use it as their up-armored patrol vehicle. Heck I can buy one right now online for $20k! This vehicle would be interesting from the perspective that the PMC would have a bit more to play with than that SUV with the minigun. Still a "poorly" armored scout car underneath. "Eggshell with attitude" :) Thoughts?

Sounds good to me, maybe if it could have additional stuff like another welded bar of lights to the front (to get the feeling that they're kind of upgrading it on their own, etc?), and painted black (to match the current PMC vehicles in ArmA).

Although, in real life, private contractors are usually used mainly as bodyguards and supply delivery, so maybe a version without any gun at all for VIP transport would be good to have, too? Looking like this one that's apparently a civil BRDM2 that some guy in Russia owns.

Just work on hcpookie. You got the time. :)

OMG. Awesome! I found a real crapload of close up photos if you need them:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

31 32 33 34 35 36

I've met this one on soccer match about 2 years ago. That day I've **** my pants... :D

EDIT: And don't forget on this one Hcpookie.

Edited by Jarinator90

GOOD NEWS!

I passed my CISSP certification! Finally the last certification I needed to finish this year... MCITP *and* CISSP should look good on my review :)

I have also completed all the house work... the wife is happy with the new tile floor and the patio I put in. I am DONE with house work for a while. SOOOOOOOO............ after our July 4th party, I'm going to get to play again!

Some testing of the Police barricades:

poltest1.jpg

poltest2.jpg

Congrats on CISSP :)

Good job with new BRDMs. I'll try to incorporate some of Your features in a couple of projects I am working on.

v 0.9 is released - see first post!

Open to any suggestions on improvements!

One thing that still shows up in the RPT is this:

Placement slopelandcontact failed on model brdm2imp\XXXXX.p3d. Too many (4) points in landcontact.

There are EXACTLY 4 points in the land contact LOD, one per each wheel. SO... what gives with that? What *exactly* does the land contact LOD really need?

Edited by hcpookie

double check the namng of the points..... i had a similar issue in the past and that was it

Wonderful addons hcpookie !

Thank you !

I discovered that there are no crosshairs in the BRDM-ATs gunners sights (by all 3 types), and the rocket pods cannot be turnable down into the chassis. Are these things normal, or should i swich off some mods i am using ?

For example ACE, Unsung, TGW vehicle fixes, etc.

Thanks WLD, I'll look into it more closely. Everything looks correct, but who knows. The issue only appears to be two of the entire bunch (both police models). I may just copy/paste from a different model to see if that helps.

Vilman, I added a cleaner ATGM optic. It works correctly with no other mods, and also works with the TGW mod. I'm sure the new reticle is affected by one of the other mods. I guess I will have to set it back to the original for the v 1.0 release! :)

Thanks for the mirror, Foxhound - much appreciated!

It appears that my custom reticle is the problem... I'll make a version that uses the original reticles for the ATGM untis! That alone should make them ACE compatible ;) I should be able to do that tomorrow.

I got the turrets to turn down on reloads. The problem is that the scripting needed to make them look forward every time was not working like I expected, so it looked wrong when they would "turn down" to reload, etc. in the wrong position. I could never get it to make the turret to turn to the vehicle's forward every time. So I gave up! If I can figure how to make the turret look "forward" of the vehicle with no hitches then I would do it. I used a script I found in an old thread that made an invisible heli pad in front of the vehicle, and then had the gunner target the invisible heli pad. I couldn't get it to work properly, so I gave up :(

BRDM-1? What's that? :D

Vilman,

I made the change to see if it will work with ACE. If you wish to test it out, the file is located in the _ACE folder of my download site. If this works, then I will simply revert it back to the original optic for the 1.0 release.

Direct download link here:

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265&sc=documents&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211445

Simply replace the existing brdm2imp.pbo and bisign (bisign if you are testing MP). Please let me know how this test version works with ACE! :)

Will try that, thank you !

I found a bug : your BRDM-HQ's left front wheel rolls not centered. I only tested that with ACE, so it can be a mod collision too.

I found a bug : your BRDM-HQ's left front wheel rolls not centered. I only tested that with ACE, so it can be a mod collision too.

Fixed... that was completely my mistake!

Also fixed missing turn-out gunner in HQ models.

I tested your new file, works not for me with ACE. Sorry.

ACE and CO are all the latest versions.

The only thing I changed on the "test" file was to alter the ATGM optic back to the original A2 optic. I don't have ACE installed myself... what failures are you having?

just on the sights for the brdm with the 240 and minigun

the optic is a bit OFPish lol

to get it like normal arma2 vehicle sights simply add a point named "gunnerview" or "eye" and that should work

i think the mk19 is correct if i remember

other then that i really like them :)

Well, i can not control the rockets. The rockets are flying to the left after launched and dissapearing .

just on the sights for the brdm with the 240 and minigun

the optic is a bit OFPish lol

to get it like normal arma2 vehicle sights simply add a point named "gunnerview" or "eye" and that should work

i think the mk19 is correct if i remember

other then that i really like them :)

I can't really say anything about the OFP-ish look because the optic model for both IS the "\ca\Weapons\optika_aimpoint" which of course is the default BIS aimpoint model. I checked and didn't see any newer replacements in weapons_e, either. And it is using the Arma2 aimpoint texture. I can't make it any more identical!

Of course the gunnerview is already present and located exactly where it should be.

Vilman, that rocket issue must be something that ACE does to the weapons and I wouldn't know how to address that. The weapons are inheriting from the defaults and are tweaked slightly, that is all. If these is some way to make an ACE configuration for it that makes it work with ACE I'd be glad to incorporate it into the mod!