Sign in to follow this  
Anthaleus

Computer Freezes Entirely And Makes High Pitch Sound

Hey Gang.

I am new to this forum, but I am having a major issue with Combined Operations.

When I play regular Arma2, it runs completely smooth. No crashes.

When I run Arma2: Combined Operations, after about 5 to 15 minutes of gaming my screen freezes, and then the mouse freezes, and then the whole computer seizes up and makes a looping sound through the speakers.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Motherboard: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3R

BIOS: Award Modular V6.00PG

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.73 Ghz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 4096 RAM

DirectX: 11

VIDEO CARD: ATI HD RADEON 5850 PCI Express

Power Supply: AGI U550UB 550W

+3.3V|+5V|+12V1|+12V2|-12V|+5Vsb|

32A |38A|18A |17A |1A |2.5A |

A= Amps V=Voltage

Thank you all, and I hope someone can help me.:D

it's just 1 cpu with 4 cores.

your specs look fine and i assume you've updated drivers for all your hardware, including sound and graphics.

does this happen persistently or was it just a one time event? because i used to have a gigabyte motherboard which displayed similar symptoms. seizing up with sound loop. i looked around and apparently there's a problem with gigabyte boards having memory controller issues.

it's just 1 cpu with 4 cores.

your specs look fine and i assume you've updated drivers for all your hardware, including sound and graphics.

does this happen persistently or was it just a one time event? because i used to have a gigabyte motherboard which displayed similar symptoms. seizing up with sound loop. i looked around and apparently there's a problem with gigabyte boards having memory controller issues.

This seems to happen every single time I try to play Combined Operations. I love to play the Chernerus Life thing a couple people put together, but about 10 minutes into every game session, it freezes the exact way I described. I tried diagnosing my board, but no errors seem to pop up. Any idea besides the board??

Thank you again for helping me out. I love this game, and I am making a world for Arma 2 right now roughly 4 times the size of Chernarus lol. It will be big, but very well worth it for those who like long flying and detailed mass towns.

It happens throughout Combined Operations. It doesnt matter if it is multiplayer, single player, editor, etc.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Oh, it just did it with Regular Arma 2 and another game: Fallout New Vegas. So it is now doing it with multiple games... And I got some error when my screen froze: Video Card Recovered From Error.

Sounds like your GPU and/or VRAM is overheating.

Is your graphic card overclocked?

Can you check the temps while playing?

Is the GPU fan working and free of dust/dirt?

I checked everything. It is staying below 50' all around while under load. I have not overclocked anything since I am going for longivity of it lol.

- On a note: I am getting the screech of death. Last night I tried disabling my High Definition Audio Device, and I was able to play the game no problems for hours. I checked my drives for the audio device, and they were from like January of 09'. I updated, so I will see if that was causing ingame issues.

- Could my sound card truly cause crashes during games if it is outdated drivers?

If this doesn't happen with other games, it's fair to say the problem is the game.

Same thing used to happen to me until I disabled "Windows Slideshow" under device manager.

It turned out to be a conflict with windows slideshow and some hardware of mine (logitech g15 ver 1, logitech g13).

Once I disabled that I have NEVER had that same problem happen again!

Cheers

Yeah! I updated my sound card, disabled my graphics card audio, and boom. I played CL Ultimate in Combied Operations for hours. No crashes. Could a sound card issue really cause crashes??

Thank you Gunter. I am very new to forums. Any help making sure I do things correctly will be beneficial :D

Yeah! I updated my sound card, disabled my graphics card audio, and boom. I played CL Ultimate in Combied Operations for hours. No crashes. Could a sound card issue really cause crashes??

Hmm, this sounds strangely familiar, although your problem isn't 100% the same as mine. I get similar freezes to yours occasionally, sometimes while playing Arma2 or other games, but also while doing other things like surfing, or even when the computer is sitting idle. It definitely isn't an overheating issue, nothing is overclocked, all my BIOS settings are fine, I've run memtest86 for 12 hours without error... still the random freezes come, with the the same sound loop you describe.

The weird thing is I have a similar motherboard to you: a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L. Also, taking out my sound card and switching to the on-board sound has remedied the issue somewhat, although not fixed it entirely. I've only experienced one freeze in the last 4-5 days since I did that, and it was while playing L4D2. Arma2 has been fine so far.

Since the sound card so far hasn't caused any crashes or freezes in my HTPC (I put it in there to test), I've started to suspect the motherboard. Perhaps taking the sound card out simply reduced the strain on it.

yup it could! I wonder if its more of an issue with Windows 7 64bit and how it locks up with device driver issues. hmm...

Anyhow I'm glad to see you fixed the issue and have it all working again!

Cheers.

Guys, i had the exact same thing when i had my soundcard in the wrong PCI slot. IRQ sharing is the devil i tell ye.

I put my soundcard in the last slot all the way down, that worked.

I am getting the same problem. Every time I start to play ArmA II: Operation arrowhead, my computer freezes after a time between 3 and 20 minutes. I havent tried ArmA II. I have played the game for a long time without any problem, and now it started giving this problems. After reading this thread, I think it might have something to do with my new headset, which comes with an external sound card. It might also be my new graphic tablet, but I really dont think that might be causing the problems. I'll have to do further research in the device manager and try if deactivating any of these devces fixes the problem. If anyone knows what might be causing this, please tell me. I really love ArmA II and it would suck if I couldn't play it anymore, or if I had to completely format my computer only because of one game (Which might not even work...).

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

CM Storm Sirus 5.1 headset

motherboard: MSI 870-C45

Edited by DarkWiiPlayer