Sign in to follow this  
f2f_bho

W.I.P US C.L.S (Combat Logistics Support)Vehicle Pack

You know the poly limit for arma 2 is 20k right? I think people have gotten up to 25k, not sure, but I know that nothing higher than that will work. The engine just won't allow it.

The limit is 32k (faces, points whatever hits that mark first), not 20-25. It is also a matter of smooth type used

Okay so there is life in the project, need to trim alittle more fat then, i can probably loose the detail on the drive trains, and make the 32K mark,,nice, i need or request from anyone with the know how some info on proper UV mapping, i purchased a plugin called Unrella2 for 3ds max and it seems pretty good from the little i did with it so any direction would be greatly appreciated... from the dedicated modelers.. or not so dedicated ..lol :)

Hi

Nice to see this all being developed, will definately give a fresh and real feel to the environment. What would be any army without logistics anyway ;)

Was wondering; does Arma allow to transport vehicles in such way? I mean, on the trailers and so on? And I mean really transport, load them , unload and then use, drive? Or can they only be a part of a given model, an eye-candy?

Was thinking of something similar lately and now wondering if it's even possible..

plus; a bit OT:

didn't follow the subject since Gnat attempted it for Arma1.. are articulated vehicles already working ingame?:eek:

Okay so there is life in the project, need to trim alittle more fat then, i can probably loose the detail on the drive trains, and make the 32K mark,,nice, i need or request from anyone with the know how some info on proper UV mapping, i purchased a plugin called Unrella2 for 3ds max and it seems pretty good from the little i did with it so any direction would be greatly appreciated... from the dedicated modelers.. or not so dedicated ..lol :)

Unwrella is nice and all, but it's scope is organic models, where you will never have true tangent projection.

There is no automated UV unwrapper out there for hard surface models AFAIK.

I suggest you grab TexTool (free script pack), as it will help you down the road a lot more than max default UV unwrap tools.

My workflow for UV unwrap:

Grab the model, flatten map it al (normalize ON), then start stitching the large islands together based on where i want the seams to be, smooth groups etc. Certain parts need more work than other, obviously.

There are tutorials about the subject, but again, none will teach you how you UV unwrap your own model. You need to understand that it takes a bit of time and practice.

Was wondering; does Arma allow to transport vehicles in such way? I mean, on the trailers and so on? And I mean really transport, load them , unload and then use, drive? Or can they only be a part of a given model, an eye-candy?

I don't see why not. You can drive on the platform, then use attachTo to have it stick :)

plus; a bit OT:

didn't follow the subject since Gnat attempted it for Arma1.. are articulated vehicles already working ingame?:eek:

Not sure, but granQ recently posted a WIP concept HERE

Well Gents this is it , i have gotten the polys to 31K and some change, so i am going with this for the game.. next come the Texture Mapping,, i do not have the experience some of you have with this so, i have my fingers crossed, and i hope the final result is and will be how i envisioned, the screens below are the sacrifices in detail i made to reduce the counts.

Images where removed due to over 100kb file limit which should'nt be allowed, if they can tell you 6 pics is too much , they can say the files are to big as well.

Edited by F2F_BHO

Some Renders, sorry i have a few artifacts in the HET render(will figure that out later), wanted to get them on before work. Also a render of the M104 HEB:

Images where removed due to over 100kb file limit which should'nt be allowed, if they can tell you 6 pics is too much , they can say the files are to big as well.

Edited by F2F_BHO
typo

@Topas - The transport system can easily be done. Norrin wrote a cargo script for NZDFCrash's C-130 that works like a charm. You simply drive a vehicle up the back ramp, it locks the vehicle(s) in place, kicks the driver and all passengers out, and that's that. When your where you want to be you drop the ramp, hit unload vehicle, and when it slides out and down the ramp (another part of the script) it becomes enterable again.

damn nice work and yes as Darkhorse said it is possible! i had someone working with me on my tractor-trailer project...i had lost that script but it did work, and even tho i have no clue how to make scripts i did understand how it worked! so atleast we all know its possible.

Dave,

I Have been told it is very very likely to get it to work, now the Million dollar question is" will it work like we want or expect it too"? also earlier in this Thread there was mention of thievery( not rehashing on it ) . But i Contacted DeEspona, just for the sake of being and keeping all the work i and my team have done so far Legit.. and i am not 100% sure if i will be using their HEMTT, as i believe their is some Language in the EULA that i did not completely understand, i am still awaiting some clarification to and on that from them. if it is as i believe more money would have to change hands for the model mesh to be used in a 3D environment . so that portion is on hold for now.

yeah thats a shame too hear! hope all goes well! btw you are more then welcome to use\edit any of the stuff i sent you(my u.s. army tractor-trailers), and release to the comunity once fixed up! or even use my stuff as a base!

goodluck

Dave,

in regards to the transport thing i remember in OFP the Turkish armed forces mod had a tractor trailer that could transport abrams and Bradleys and well anything for that matter

in regards to the transport thing i remember in OFP the Turkish armed forces mod had a tractor trailer that could transport abrams and Bradleys and well anything for that matter

did you mean that?

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=8960

@F2F_BHO

I can hardly expect to turn a few laps. This looks so great. Respect!

Edited by DSO ZeroSix
Incorrect url

Now here's a fresh idea!And it is obvious some serious work went into this!

I hope the HEMTT will be made and all will be ok about it,as its absence is cruel in the game.

Edited by jadehorus

money, money, money...tsss what a fucked up world...

I agree each work diserves retribution (not sure about the word, in the translator the first definition is "punishment", the second is "reward" :confused: I'm talking about proper reward )

But I don't understand what's the point of buying a model on turbosquid if you can't incorporate it in a 3D environement without having to pay more. So what ? you're supposed to simply look at it on your computer ? When I see some models cost almost 900$ it's kinda silly...

But I guess I'm missing something...

Anyway, keep up the good work you're really filling a big gap in ArmA doing this and I think I can say we're all really grateful to you :)

Sorry folks , i was down for a week , damn ISP,, had the whole block messed up... i did get alittle work done off line , i will try to post the updates, i also started a few side projects (not that i need any more lol) but i am seriously thinking of adding a Bushmaster Hummer to the mix, i found a picture of one the army has, don't know if it ever made it to combat or a base for that matter but... it looks cool as hell... we also are contemplating to add to the Marine vehicles, OV-10 ,,a proper CH-46 and 53 Echo etc........

Ok, Here are some of the Clay Renders i did of the M104 wolverine, i worked on detailing my original model i use for referencing and screens(this one is too detailed for arma2/OA), i have a lower poly model for the game version... but this is what i did while the cable was out in the neighborhood..

Edited by F2F_BHO

If only the engine would let use use that lovely bridge. Or let us have trenches we need to lay bridges over. lol

It will , and it does. depends on the map, and how well we script the Animations, proxies etc... it is very possible and very close to being a reality

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Also after watching and re-watching video of the actions of the bridge i am going to re-figure the rear lift cylinder, as it is not quite right.. there aren't alot of good views on this so i have to do some figuring, and base the model off what i have seen as a tanker and my memories of how it operated. so bear with me folks

Wow, that really would be cool. I'm just remembering many humorous occasions of the game's engine reacting strangely to object collisions. :D