Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Make grass near player transparent when prone

I think the problem is due to people getting used to console shooters way too much. You know that kind where if your character has a direct view on enemy - you are exposed, however the moment the character is behind some non-transparent object no matter what it is - it's a 100% safety.

ArmA just breaks their world.

Except if they will make a grass near you transparent - you will just see more grass behind it which is my point.

And the moment you go making transparent anything further than what's close to your nose - is the moment you lose any kind of realism, not mentioning that it will look silly and you will have even more people complaining about this visual bug.

If AI really saw through the grass all the time nobody would've been able to play the game normally. - the problem lies within the grass being too hard for some people that don't want to learn to play. I'm not saying that AI sees what we see of course and there are some things where its "eyes" can be superior - BUT

It can be shocking especially to OFP/ArmA1 players where "prone" position was player's ultimate Cheat of Doom as that instantly made you barely visible to AI (just like it is now) while you still were able to see the AI just as well (I, of course, too had a really hard time adapting at first when AA2 came out)

This problem is greatly seen on Takistan where in a prone position in a grass you alone can easily wipe out half of AI squad before they even spot you and will be able to do anything to you.

I don't think the idea is to make grass transparent out as far as you can see, but NEARBY grass, as has been often repeated. So that further grass, should it be there, blocks your view as it should.

Myself I find that I always seem to be just behind some annoying clump of grass on a ridge after finding a nice under-bush concealment, and while I might expect my scope to be past that annoying clump of grass, it never is. I can scuffle & rotate etc, but for the sake of being able to see through a nearby clump I should like to see either fine movements left & right via TrackIR (unlikely in the prone position) or, simply make nearby grass transparent.

I don't believe it's silly, or bug-like, nor do I think I'm spoiled by other games. I just think that grass should be able to be circumvented if it's within normal head-movement range. Transparency would simulate that. I only have one "eye" in ArmA.

metalcraze, I don't mean to be grumpy but you really need to do the reading. There's more than one post in this topic that describes what we're after (including the solution) in a most clear way that does not require any additional details or explanations.

In general I find it THE most noticeable party-pooper in ArmA 2 so far.

Edited by Bucic

Bucic

Please do not bump old threads if you have nothing significant to add.

Closing.