Sign in to follow this  
pathetic_berserker

Mil Mi-24A Krokodil

Landing gears tilted as well. :P I see a good few of us will be following this project closely!

Pathetic_Berserker, sorry for interruption, bust I must warn you - I hope you're not making symetrical Mi-24A, because they aren't. All these drawing, like this (of new Mi-24V and others) are wrong. Because the exact drawings are hard to find, i'm adding the picture of Mi-24V from DCS: Black Shark, where is quite detailed, or you can check one of hinds from ArmA 2 in the front. BIS was attentive for details on Mi-24, too.

The exact drawings especially for Mi-24A are hard to find too, so that's why I'm using the picture - this is front picture of Mi-24A. The angle of photo isn't perfect, but for my explanation is good. I drew the lines of fuselage for easy imagination. The whole fuselage, with rotor and tail except of cockpit is tilted into right (starboard of aircraft). It's tilted for aerodynamic reasons to counteract the effect of the tail rotor. The cockpit of all A and "bubbled-cockpit" hinds is actually the only one thing which is correctly parallel to the ground.

I only want the good for you, and above of all, I still can't wait for Mi-24A version in ArmA2. Nothing can be perfect. :) Just when I saw the WiP pictures, I just couldn't helped myself for not warning you about that and I hope I didn't insulted you.

I never noticed that!!:eek: I guess I'm too stressed when I see the hind from that angle :p

I never noticed that!!:eek: I guess I'm too stressed when I see the hind from that angle :p

haha, welcome to the club! If this would not have been brought up today I would not have noticed it myself...man, we learn all the time ;)

The canopy presented looks wonderful, I'm intensely glad to see it progressing in such a way

Edited by topas

Thanks for all the positive feed back guys.

I has taken me a long time to gather enough references to procceed but it seems to be paying off.

Regarding the filters, I still have a bit of work to do on them, but as far as I know export versions did have them. I'm at work just now so but I might post some pics later.

And yes I'm aware of the asymetry, the schematics I have show the degree of lean on cross sections. The twist is something I thought I would do last depending on how difficult it becomes. It's easier to get the bulk of the work done symetricaly and as I'm using Eric-M's hind as a base it will require some carefull thought to not screw up the UV mapping but then again I can always look at it as just a base(no disrespect intended), so I am confident I can do it.

Funnily enough SmukY your comment has cement my decision. I thought if I got to the end and couldn't be bothered with the lean, no-one would notice, and judging by the responses I'd probably have been right, until you pointed it out. LOL. You have both forced my hand and ruined the potential suprise. HA!

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

ethiopianhind.jpg

On closer observation I realised that this pic isn't just showing an export version, hence, the filters but appears to have an upgraded ATM system as well.Evident by the gun camera on the wing tip, instead of the inner weapons pylon. A change made for the D's. I supose one model variant wont be any trouble.

i'snt it this one thats in Rambo 3 or am I wrong?

Yesno.

They wanted a Hind in Rambo 2, 3, Red Dawn and one Dolph Lundgren Movie which name I cant remember anymore.

But obviously, during the 80ths you couldnt get the Soviet Unions most advanced attack helicopter....

...So they took a Super Pumas, and added wings with fake rocket pods.

The Super Pumas in Rambo III where not very convincing, they really looked like Pumas with fake wings: http://www.rotaryaction.com/images/rambo3a.jpg

However in Red Dawn they did a better job, their Puma actually came close to a Hind-A this thread is about: http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/dd/RedDawnFakeHind05a.jpg/500px-RedDawnFakeHind05a.jpg

Edited by Dr. Horrible

and one Dolph Lundgren Movie which name I cant remember anymore.

I think it is red scorpion you mean. ;)

I think it is red scorpion you mean. ;)

Yes it is. Apart from the Pumahind it alse features some kind of weird double-barreled machinegun. :D

Yes it is. Apart from the Pumahind it alse features some kind of weird double-barreled machinegun. :D

Not to get too far off topic here, the hind in Red Scorpion was a modified Sikorsky S-62. The result is both hilarious and sad.

RedScorpionS-62Hind_4.jpg

You can read more about the double barrelled machine gun on imfdb's Red Scorpion page and on wikipedia.

Edited by Max Power

Sorry about the picture quality. The untidy mess that is the Hind -A has started having its effect.

What you see is pretty much the first view LOD and base for the gunner LOD.

gunnerlod1.jpg

gunnersview.jpg

In terms of completeion I still have a a few small internal details to do before finishing up the exterior modifications, but I expect to be bending my brain around the mapping in another week or two.

In my experience, it's not the uv unwrapping that's the difficult part- it's the layout for so many pieces... how to best group them, and how to interlock the groups... so bad. Doing a whirly-gig with an interior and exterior and all kinds of fiddly bits that are sometimes replaced by proxies poses all kinds of hard questions about section count, bit depth, etc, if you're a stickler for having an optimized addon.

Yeah, I know, I should have more to show by now,

Unfortunately RL got in the way. Includding the ol' post study CBF. But once I've tiddied up a few more lose ends I should have more time for it than before.

Dont worry, I't will be finished.

Dont worry, I't will be finished.

Just one request: If, for whatever circumstances, you are not going to finish it, please leave quick note in this thread. Like "Sorry guys, but I wont be able to finish it".

Too many addon-makers just leave without giving notice, and much unnecessary apprehension is created.

Anyone finished Black Ops yet? Lots of refeernce there :D

Yeah, finished it but lets not hop into BO discussion here, I bet offtopic area has that thread covered.

Tho you're right, I think they've got some good cockpit closeups for textures especially. How are you processing with the addon, if I may ask? :)

Basing art off of someone else's art when the objective is accuracy isn't always the best idea. Since BO isn't a simulator and reference is hard to find, I'd be skeptical. Loads of switches and crap are easy to fake.

Yeah, finished it but lets not hop into BO discussion here, I bet offtopic area has that thread covered.

Duh, I didnt mean the game itself, I mean the Mi-24A which is featured heavily within the game ;)

Again, great source for references. Dont know how how accurate it is on displaying the 24A, but lets just say it should be accurate enough.