• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic
pathetic_berserker
pathetic_berserker

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:36

Thanks to the generous kickstart from EricM and Rock I finaly gathered the courage to stop trawling for references and start working on the first incarnation of what we know as the Hind.

Already there has bee a great deal of swearing and spitting as I try to deal with nothing but photos and badly drawn schematics, but finaly think I have something to show.

Almost finished roughing in the cockpit, just the ATM optical and cabling around the glass house canopy to do

Posted Image

After that its a few (easier) tweaks to the fuselage, and then textures. I was suprised to find the 'A' variant had actualy seen fair bit of combat action with a number of operators so I'm yet to decide on whether to go for full retextures or a roundel system.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker, 27 September 2010 - 11:39.

topas
topas

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1568 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:50

Haha, Red Dawn comes immediately to my mind seeing this.
At the same time I'm very happy to see someone finally took it up, this will make a great addition to the game!

btw; what's the official number on A-operators? I could list no more than few if someone asked me.. Etiopia/Kambodia... hmm..

namman2
namman2

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:56

you are talking about this wierd looking hind http://www.aviastar....il/mi-24a-s.gif ?
i cant wait to see it finished ;)
keep up the good work

topas
topas

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1568 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:01

Yes, and what i was referring to was a redressed Puma helicopter I believe -> Red Dawn caption

RobertHammer
RobertHammer

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4780 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:02

OMG - finally i see someone is making this "beast" hind :D - its really cool :)
(i like it from MGS 3 or MGS PW :P )
http://media.photobu...ng?t=1257554772

Edited by RobertHammer, 27 September 2010 - 12:11.

Posted ImagePosted Image
There's one place for One Snake and for One BigBoss !!!
Posted Image

Dr. Horrible
Dr. Horrible

Banned

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:53

ROFL. Back in OFP days I once kitbashed the wings of some Hind addon with a Puma addon to get the "Rambo" helicopter :D

More pictures:

http://www.richard-s...opters/Mi24.jpg

http://www.red-stars...i-24_Hind-A.jpg

http://upload.wikime...Mi-24A_Hind.jpg

These thing were actually deployed quite often by the Vietnamese.

pathetic_berserker
pathetic_berserker

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:53

btw; what's the official number on A-operators? I could list no more than few if someone asked me.. Etiopia/Kambodia... hmm..

Damn good question, I havn't even been able to find an official date for the Hind-D, its successor, entering service only a vague reference circa 1980. To say that the Hind-A was in production for almost 10 years (1970-1980) seems a bit of a stretch, but then again the Hind was a little known beast before the Afgan conflict started in 1979. Hopfully there may someone out there who can shed a bit more light.

However I read and/or have pictorial evidence that it served with North Vietnam vs Cambodia, with Ethiopia vs Somalia, and with Libya vs Chad, I havn't found anything conclusive but I expect that it also served in the early days of the Afgan conflict and quite possibly in the Rhodesian Bush Wars conflict as Cuban aid for Angola.

soul_assassin
soul_assassin

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3515 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 14:05

First test Mi24A lifted off in september '69.
First serial Mi24A in service by 71~72.
Work on the 24D variant with new cabin began in '71.
First five serial helicopters made in Arsen'jevo in 1973.
Full production by 1974.
Mi24V testing finished by november 1975.

Source: Bojevoj Vertoljet Mi-24, S. Moroz and I. Prihodchenko, Exprint publishing, Moscow, 2005

wolfbite
wolfbite

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1608 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 15:38

Nice to see this being made :P Apparantly they quickly moved on from this cockpit set up because of the poor field of view for the pilots and copg's and because the flat glass created lots of reflections making it awkward to fly.. There were a few other reasons (Something with the gun) but I cannay remember them off the top of my head :P Any chance of doing an a with the flat wings and the falanga's on the hull? Great stuff man hope to see more soon.
Posted Image
Posted Image

icebreakr
icebreakr

Captain

• Members
  • 6207 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 15:48

I've heard Molatia is using Hind-A :) *wink,wink*

IceBreakr, C/O [SBP] - Slovenian Black Panthers (www.vojak.si)

OUT NOW for A3: Isla Duala 3.35 | Island Panthera v3.1
WIP: Isla Abramia, Lingor, Tonal Legend, Isla Balkania, Keystone, Jade Groove 3, Ibis World, Rowalla.

sigbif.jpg

pathetic_berserker
pathetic_berserker

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:11

I've heard Molatia is using Hind-A :) *wink,wink*

Thats right! I knew there was more.

@Soul Assasin, thanks for the info. Russia obviously handed down a few A's to its friends when the D's entered service.

TomatoArden
TomatoArden

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:15

this looks like it'll be a great model, but boy does that hind look stupid in comparison to the D variant
Posted Image Posted Image
TomatoArden, AKA Tomato, AKA ArmedAndDangerous

Max Power
Max Power

Mr. Angry Face

• Members
  • 12828 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:50

this looks like it'll be a great model, but boy does that hind look stupid in comparison to the D variant

Stupid like a FOX!

I'm excited to see how this one turns out!
Posted Image
Posted Image
My inbox is fill and won't be emptied. If your PM is regarding requests to use my work, unfortunately I choose not to grant such permission. My work is for use with CWR2 only.

rksl-rock
rksl-rock

Supreme Emperor of Nigeria

• Members
  • 6490 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:53

Thanks to the generous kickstart from EricM and Rock I finaly gathered the courage to stop trawling for references and start working on the first incarnation of what we know as the Hind.

Already there has bee a great deal of swearing and spitting as I try to deal with nothing but photos and badly drawn schematics, but finaly think I have something to show.

Almost finished roughing in the cockpit, just the ATM optical and cabling around the glass house canopy to do

[IMG]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9211/krokadil.th.jpg[IMG]

After that its a few (easier) tweaks to the fuselage, and then textures. I was suprised to find the 'A' variant had actualy seen fair bit of combat action with a number of operators so I'm yet to decide on whether to go for full retextures or a roundel system.

I was going to offer you my Mi-24 Research archive but it looks like you aready had some good refs! That looks really good.

Eric had my archive so i dont know if he gave it you, but if you need it PM me and ill dig is out for you.
Posted Image
Addons makers don’t get cash they get credit! Support them!
RKSL Studios Website is BACK!! http://www.rkslstudios.info

b00ce
b00ce

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1401 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:07

I've been waiting for a Mi-24A for so long.

Looking good, can't wait.

pathetic_berserker
pathetic_berserker

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:51

Posted Image
a little more

Max255-PL-
Max255-PL-

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:09

Wow... Very nice.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @3GHz | MB: Asus P5Q SE2 | RAM: 6GB Kingston HyperX
GPU:
Asus GeFroce GTX560Ti DirectCUII @ 950/1100 | PSU: beQuiet PP 600W | Saitek X52 Pro

Posted Image

RobertHammer
RobertHammer

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4780 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:59

Looks cool mate :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
There's one place for One Snake and for One BigBoss !!!
Posted Image

Liquidpinky
Liquidpinky

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1565 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:23

Nice, just need a Shagohod now and my plans for world domination can begin.

The Dummehs guide to running Arma2 within a RamDrive or on multiple HDDs

Spoiler

wolfbite
wolfbite

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1608 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:31

Looks great man but I think the hind A's tended not to have filters or if they did they were normaly thebucket ones ... Not saying you need to change it as I'm not certain and I dont know about export kits. Stunning model dude \m/
Posted Image
Posted Image