Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

*THIS ADDON HAS BEEN RELEASED, you can find the latest version/release post HERE*

I'll be keeping WIP shots and information in this thread for the USS Nimitz, so you guys can know what to expect.

What is already done:

• USS Nimitz carrier
  • Working catapults w/ animated jet blast deflectors
  • Working arrestor cables
  • Optional/available IFLOLS "meatball" landing aid when on approach
  • Large hangar bay
  • Working elevators
  • A few interior corridors
  • Rooms specifically for mission-makers to act as a briefing room and armory

What is hoped to be included eventually (probably wont get around to all of them):

• Working defense systems (Sea Sparrow, RAM, SRBOCs)
  • Areas for jets to rearm, refuel, and repair
  • Munitions storage room to get aircraft ammo from, along with weapons dolly
  • Some crane vehicle to remove wrecks/debris from the runway/flight deck
  • Davits to launch and retrieve CRRCs
  • Crash barricade to receive aircraft with broken arrestor hooks
  • Bridge interior with various functions (possibly: manual activation/deactivation of defensive turrets, view various cameras place around the ship, access to radar, etc)
  • Extra set of "prop" items for mission-makers to use, such as flight training markers, cargo items to fill the hangar bay with, etc.

And a few notes(or "nots"):

• The Nimitz will NOT be drivable, it will be a static base on the sea
  • It will work in ArmA II or Combined Ops (possibly OA alone, but it needs water)
  • I will NOT be modeling any more of an interior with rooms and hallways and such, as it would serve little purpose more than a 5-second "oh cool" factor when walking through
  • It will NOT have autopilot landing
  • There will NOT be any aircraft included with this, just a carrier

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

arma22010-08-1412-52-56-37-1.jpg

arma22011-02-0812-37-00-58-1.jpg

ALL WIP pictures can be found in an album HERE

Edited by JDog

Looks superb! Can we maybe see some pics of the plane-cargo on lower deck reachable via elevator? :)

In time :D When things are in a show-worthy state, and besides, need to keep ammo for future posts!

hahaha, excellent to see some updates on this. I am really looking forward to this, and its really good to see your going for accuracy and attention to detail, just what I love!

Looks great, but I still have strange feeling that the deck is to bright...

Either base texture needs to be darker or far more tire skids/oil/dirt are needed.

But maybe it's only me, keep up the good work.

Nice job.

I do all my mod'ing with Post/Pre processing effects turned OFF.

You get a better idea what the true colour etc is like.

Just wonderful news to see this kind of work quality for something so needed to enhance the game. Well Done!

Followed it a bit in the WIP topic. Just wanted to congratulate with the done efforts sofar. Really nice to see someone finally got of their lazy a$$ and decided to make a new one from scretch (instead of working on my old bugged model). Like said, i followed it a bit on the WIP topic and looks you did take your time/research regarding the very important splitting of the model. If not mistaken this is also one of your first BIS model (like it was when i made mine), so i know what a pain it is. Keep up the good work and keep motivated. Looks the old one was much appreciated, so if you succeed (looks like it), the community will praise you for a long time.

Nice on mate. Looks good when you see it getting built up, this be a good release when its finished :)

regarding the very important splitting of the model

Yea.. the texture of the deck is also quite large, each section has its own. Getting those to line up perfectly is one thing I'm glad to have behind me haha.

looks great glad someone is making one from scratch! i too have been following this in the wip thread and i cant wait for it to get done, best of luck to you!

@Pvt.mcdonald: If you mean like personnel quarters, mess hall, offices, that kind of stuff... no. At least, not for the first release. Who knows what I might try to do with it afterwards, but the engine's LOD system doesn't do interiors very well, especially so for cramped interiors such as on naval vessels. So... there will be some interior most definitely, including something cool I have planned, but not much :D

If anyone gets the chance, I released this test mission for the IFLOLS hud display a few days ago but, to my great sadness, has garnered no feedback haha. Here's the download, I'd like to have some thoughts on what might make it better if anything since it will be most likely be part of the carrier.

http://www.filefront.com/17190820/IFLOLS_test.zip/

Edited by JDog

Wow, thats is a nice Work and comes more reality to War in Arma. My Islands have around Water Area and good for some Missions Builder.

Greez Hotze

I d,loaded the test mission and it all runs great.:)

Excellent work getting this whole package together.:)

A couple of suggestions-

Could the ui appear futher from the landing point?

Have this setup thru lights attached to an object on deck?Or even scripted into a specific Navy aircraft/addon?

I had some sounds for the Dasquade Nimitz a lil while ago that were for the catapult and the Trap.They worked very well ,they added atmosphere.I can dig up the files and send em over to ya if ya like?

Thanks for the mission,Very cool way of practising Carrier Landing.:)

@Steve Yea I been meaning to but havent bothered searching for sounds yet. I'll def take a listen and maybe put them in if they work. Also, the IFLOLS will be modeled on the ship as well... don't know if I can script the lights tho, and even if I could, they aren't as powerful/designed like the real light cells in the thing, you wouldn't be able to distinguish it until very close probably.

@TBuck I'm just making this in hopes of opening doors of possibility and fun for others. Stuff like crew and planes on deck will be dependent on the mission designers. I do plan to have example missions included with it that will serve as a "get to know this addon" mission, but no crew or planes will automatically spawn on it as part of the addon.

There will be reskins for the various types of crew members aboard the Nimitz, but putting on a bunch of planes like that will be tough unless someone makes an F18 that is able to fold its wings in, which I'm hoping will happen. However, a script is already in place to allow mission-makers to quickly place planes/objects at pre-determined spots on the carrier (without having to fiddle with setPos until its correct).

I've never installed/started Visitor 3, so you won't be getting a map from me. I'm pretty sure there is already a map that's nothing but water.

Edited by JDog

I have a new project with a deadline so unfortunately I'll have less time to spend working on this for the next week or so... but so you guys know where a few things stand:

I broke down and decided it would be dumb to only have the forward half of the hangar bay available. So, having opened it up and extended it/refined the stern interior, this:

hangarBay.jpg

Also, arrestor system now works, as well as the IFLOLs. Catapults too, they just aren't "built-in" yet. The catapults are especially nice, quite accurate. Your front tire will stay in the middle of the line all the way down no matter which line you're on :) The animations for the JBDs and elevators also work but aren't built-in yet either. Aside from tying in those things, only other immediate thing on the list is updating the geometry for the new & improved hangar bay. Then starts work on all the fun little details!

PS. Doesn't necessarily have to do with the carrier but if you wanna see somethin cool lol:

Im gonna need a new pair of pants tyvm!! that's just amazing work. I wish you luck on your new project and I hope you find lots of time to work on this.