Sign in to follow this  
Buzz_Fledderjohn

IR strobe not visible in FLIR?

Did a search but couldn't find anything. I wasn't sure whether to put it in the troubleshooting area or the general forums, but I guess I'll put it here.

Is it just me or are the IR strobes not visible through IR? Is it supposed to be like that? They blink a little if you watch them through NVG... but they don't light up in FLIR at all. I've tested it with both the Apache and the weapon-mounted IR sights. Throw strobe, observe through IR... nothing.

Isn't the whole point of IR strobes that they are visible through both IR and NVG? And not just a tiny blip but similar to the strobe in the Black Hawk Down scene (yes, I know that that is a movie and not necessarily like reality)?

nQqPbg6pfwo

Furthermore, it would be really nice if players could attach the strobes to their character. That would be very useful in multiplayer.

If strobes don't show up through IR in real life either, then I haven't said anything. But I r confus.

A FLIR system displays HEAT, an IR strobe is not exactly outputing heat, and thus you should'nt really see it on thermal imaging.

Right?

The short answer is that it is realistic that you cannot see the IR strobes through FLIR.

Generally speaking, in real life the types of IR strobes that are represented in the game would not be visible to FLIR and would only be visible on NVGs/image intensifier devices. The strobes emit electromagnetic radiation in, and NVGs see in, the near-infrared range, roughly in a wavelength range from 0.7 to 1.3 microns (700-1300 nanometers). On the other hand, FLIR and other thermal systems see and operate in a range on the order of 3 to 30 microns (3000-30000 nanometers). For reference, visible light is approximately 0.39 to 0.75 microns (390-750 nanometers).

Another physical way of describing this is that in order for you to see it "strobe" in FLIR, it would have to make enough of a temperature change on the outside surface of the device for you to see a visible temperature change through your imaging sensor. (Note that thermal wavelengths won't be transmitted through glass, and most other substances that are transparent to visible light.)

Interestingly enough, a thermal IR strobe is basically what in fact the weird cylinder behind the main rotor of the AH-64 and UH-60 that you see in the game is for. It's a sort of IR jammer that is supposed to try to help confuse the seeker head of some older heat seeking missiles that use a "spin-scan" tracking technique.

I agree that the strobe as represented should make more than a little blip on NVGs, as it should illumniate the area immediately around it (for at least a meter or so).

Watching the Black Hawk Down clip, it seems to show a strange amalgamation of NVD and FLIR vision. While there are devices now that do that, like the AN/PSQ-20 Enhanced Night Vision Goggle that is now being fielded, it looks different (normal green image intensification with reddish thermal overlay), and they didn't have that technology back then in 1993.

Though getting a little off topic, on the other hand it would be really cool to make a mod for ArmA 2/OA that would simulate the AN/PSQ-20 :bounce3:; see video below...

Mrb1TCgeDPo

See also: http://www.vimeo.com/4532787

the inability to attach them without scripts to a character is ludicrous, isn't the main use of an IR strobe to indicate friendlies ?

And what is that cool "grenade-like" thing that flashes and can only be seen in NVG? That thing they threw on the roof in BHD.

And what is that cool "grenade-like" thing that flashes and can only be seen in NVG? That thing they threw on the roof in BHD.

*face palm* An IR strobe...

Well what about that thing they throw and can be seen in NVG as well?

EDIT: Figured it out, it was fire.

Windex, you're killin' us man. It was an IR strobe. NVGs see into the near infrared.

Eh, what? I could easily see that IR strobe with NVG off as it illuminated half the town at midnight. That otehr thing in BHD was only visible with NVG though,

I can see the IR strobe without NVG sometimes when I've tried it in the editor

lights up an entire town.

beta builds have code change for the IR strobe but you missing the config data part so it behaves differently to what You will see with full data patched ...

Ahh, good to know. If I can just remember that the next time the issue is brought up - no guarantees though :p