Sign in to follow this  
fincuan

Muzzlevelocity

New version 1.02 uploaded on 27.11.2009 - possible performance improvements and support for UKF weapons

Here's one way of getting around the stock A2 behaviour of the magazine deciding on what muzzlevelocity a weapon gets. This behaviour led to for example an M4 having exactly the same muzzlvelocity as an M16, or an AK-74UN the same as an AK-74, even though the differences in barrel length and muzzlevelocity are quite big in real life.

This addon attempts to "fix" the behaviour for all affected rifle-caliber weapons in Arma2.

Download v 1.02(HUT)

CBA is required

Download v 1.01(Armaholic)

Download v 1.01(HUT)

Readme:

Muzzlevelocity v1.02

What it does:
-------------
Brings you realistic muzzle velocities to all rifles. Barrel length does matter now.

Installation:
-------------
A:
- Unpack the archive to your Arma2-folder
- Add "-mod=@FNC_muzzlevelocity" to your arma2-shortcut

or 

B:
If you are familiar with mod installation just put the files into folders of your choice. Remember to move the userconfig-files to
their proper place in "arma2\userconfig\fnc_muzzlevelocity"

Usage:
------
Fire a weapon, observe the result :)
In the included testmission you get written feedback on the weapon, firemode and muzzle velocity everytime you fire a weapon.

Requirements:
-------------
Community Base Addons, CBA

Multiplayer:
-----------
This addon is client-side only and fully MP-compatible in this respect. 
Signatures and keys are included in their respective folders. The addon with my generic key as well as an addon specific key which was
used to sign this addon only and nothing else.

Mod conflicts:
--------------
Users of 31ST MEU Scopes&Ballistics should take a look at "Arma2\userconfig\fnc_muzzlevelocity\fnc_muzzlevelocity_config.hpp"
and uncomment one line there according the instructions in that file.

Bugs:
-----
No known bugs

How do I get my non-stock weapons to work with this?
--------------------------------------------------------
Add their values to "Arma2\userconfig\fnc_muzzlevelocity\fnc_muzzlevelocity_weapons.hpp" following the example in the mod's config.cpp.
PBO source is included.

Changelog:
---------
------
- Removed:	Ability to use the mod on AI
- Changed:	Hopefully better performance. Muzzlevelocityfactor is now fetched from the config only when the player picks up a new primary weapon,
		as opposed to doing it everytime a shot is fired.
- Added:	UKF weapons settings to userconfig

------
- Added:	Compatibility with 31st MEU Ballistics

Edited by Fincuan

Cool addon!

Sidenote. I tryed some new army heavy packed 5.56 rounds in a M4 cqb and a M16A2 and the hits were the same and stopping power too. Pretty cool stuff. But i guess its still rare so nice to see this addon. :)

Thanks Dude !!for building this realy cool mod :) I was wondering how or will this work with the: GMJ Sight Adjustment for ArmA2 & 31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics mod's.

I would like to try myself. But sinds i am so into A2 moddin that i've placed about 9 mods on top of the original game sofar. This resulting in a shortcut target line that exeeds that maximun lenth and i have to figer out a nice way to sort this problem out!

was wondering how or will this work with the: GMJ Sight Adjustment for ArmA2 & 31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics mod's.

See the readme. Should be no problem.

Also, if your mod targetline is getting a bit long you can easily drop the FNC_muzzlevelocity.pbo into an existing modfolder. It doesn't care about the exact path, just that it's loaded with the game :)

Edited by Fincuan

Thanks Dude !!for building this realy cool mod :) I was wondering how or will this work with the: GMJ Sight Adjustment for ArmA2 & 31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics mod's.

I would like to try myself. But sinds i am so into A2 moddin that i've placed about 9 mods on top of the original game sofar. This resulting in a shortcut target line that exeeds that maximun lenth and i have to figer out a nice way to sort this problem out!

This mod shouldn't cause problems with the 31st MEU Reticles side of the mod, but it may cause some issues with the ballistics side. I used the default BIS method of changing the magazine initspeed for determining muzzle velocity, and then I changed the air resistance within the bullet itself.

It shouldn't actually cause an bugs, however. I would expect, at worst, the ballistics of each weapon will choose one or the other. At best, the range cards included within the 31st MEU pack will not be calibrated for the this ballistics mod, and the bullet drop compensating reticles (BDC, ACOG, etc) wont be calibrated properly either. But otherwise, I can't imagine there being any real issues.

I'll play around with this, and figure out what exactly has been changed in each weapon. I haven't downloaded it at all yet, so I don't know what exactly it's done, but I will.

I'll contact Fincuan via PM and discuss it further. Any method for helping create more realistic ballistics is a very welcome addition!! Great job, Fincuan!

Edited by Yakavetta

edit: Spoke too soon. Slight incompatibility problems with the 31st MEU Ballistics part, but both parties are working on solving it. The worst case scenario is that you get too low muzzlevelocities with some weapon+mag combinations like G36 with G36-mags, M249, M240 and MK48 Mod 0. All AKs are ok, as well as any rifle when using 30rnd Stanags. 20rnd Stanags and specialized mags like G36-mags is where the problem lies.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

New version uploaded, hopefully fixing the compatibility problems with the 31ST MEU addon.

Edited by Fincuan

Using a mod manager would certainly solve that problem. Personally, this will be my 42nd mod which I'm dropping into my Arma 2 folder, all running simoultaneously.

http://arma2.ar.funpic.de/?page_id=7

Nice work Fincuan, great addition.

Good job with updating it so quickly to be compatible with BigDaddy5's 31st MEU conversion of NonWonderDog's Realistic Ballistics!

BTW, will you update to include .50 rifles?

Edited by Protegimus
Added .50 rifle query

They(or it, as the M107 is the only .50 cal rifle) aren't affected by the problem, so no. The problem only concerns weapons which share the same magazinetype with others of non-equal barrellength.

Thanks for the comments and the mirror :rthumb:

Nice work Fincuan, great addition.

Good job with updating it so quickly to be compatible with BigDaddy5's 31st MEU conversion of NonWonderDog's Realistic Ballistics!

This mod will only change the muzzle velocities on weapons which share magazines yet have different barrel lengths. I took a look through the config that Fincuan uses, and it's good work.

The ballistics chart included in the 31st MEU Reticles and Ballistics should still hold true as well, as he didn't adjust the velocities on any of the precisions weapons there.

It's a good mod overall, great release!

Could you elaborate a bit sparks?

If you mean did I touch the ammo configs, the answer is no. I only changed things in cfgWeapons and cfgMagazines because we already have a two excellent ballistics mods that deal with the bullets themselves having correct values, mainly the 31st MEU Scopes&Ballistics and NWD_Ballistics(easy to port over to Arma2). No reason to reinvent the wheel :)

Am i the only one who has problems with this mod sinds the new CBA version came out? I dont know what do do message: this mod requirees the 'Extended_Eventhandeler' addon mod to work ? (same happens with FLIR and GMJsightadjustment). Ive checked all the files and tried a different order to put the mods in still nogo

nevermind CBA was niet in the addons folder as it should have been

Edited by larsiano
problem solved

That means you don't have Extended_Eventhandlers for some reason. I use the same mods you listed above with CBA 2.0 and everything works fine.

New version 1.02 uploaded. Possible performance improvements included, the ability to use this on AI removed and support for UKF weapons included. I also wrote better instructions on how to include other custom weapons in the mod, and these can be found in the mod's userconfig-files.

LMAO, that's stock Arma2 behaviour :) In all honesty I never even used that feature myself. How useful a feature is it if even the author doesn't care about it eh?

We didn't tested - we don't know :D

Thanks for the addon, it's one of our team core pack files. Finally bullet's don't act like they're all in slowmo.

what does it mean AI is disabled? does it mean AI use stock velocity and human use the addon velocity?

Due to how this addon works it can be a necessary evil. The addon catches the bullet after it is fired, and for weapons with a different muzzle velocity (in real life) than what is defined for the specific ammo type in the config the bullet will be slowed down.

Since the AI aims by the values in the configs it won't be able to shoot properly and will likely aim too low, since it thinks the bullet goes faster than it actually does after this addon has slowed it down to appropriate speed.

Until BIS lets us define a muzzleVelocityFactor or somesuch on a per-weapon basis this is the best solution available while keeping it compatible with servers/clients not using the addon.

What Inko said.

It doesn't only slow down the bullets though, but also speed up if necessary. This is the case with for example PKM vs. PKP, where PKM is the "base weapon" for 7.62x54 machineguns, but PKP has a slightly higher muzzlevelocity irl. They both use magazines with PKM's values, and PKP bullets are just accelerated slightly after leaving the barrel. All this is done to the bullet's actual speed at the moment when it's handled. Even if for some reason the addon "catches" the bullet slightly late, when it has already slowed down, the adjustments will be made correctly instead of resetting the speed to its original value.

It has zero effect on AI, 0, nothing at all. It only affects the player.