Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Preview crash on exit - please help

I've mentioned this problem in the main preview thread, but the crash is severe enough to warrant its own thread.

Playing the preview on Veteran with OA 1.59 + 79600 beta.

7500/3564 visibility/object settings.

After loading a saved game, playing, and then exiting ToH, I get a hard crash. Every time. I don't seem to get the crash when I exit after playing from scratch (not from a saved game).

I played for 1.5 days with no such crashes, using my main A2/OA profile and the 82128 beta patch. Now I'm using a different profile just for ToH, and have rolled the OA beta back to 79600. :confused:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the preview twice, purging all profile, .cfg file, and saved game - crashes recur soon.

After loading a saved game, the game runs at VERY SLOW FPS (slideshow) for a few seconds before resuming normal operation. I have never seen behavior like this for all of A2 CO/PMC/BAF.

Also after loading a save, the ToH logo and clouds appear on top of my display while the game is playing - I have to hit escape to get rid of them. That's not normal either.

Can anyone diagnose the following and tell what is going on? I'll provide any additional info as needed. I sent Dwarden crash dumps yesterday.

From Windows 7 event viewer:

Faulting application name: takeonhpreview.exe, version: 1.59.82.161, time stamp: 0x4e034157

Faulting module name: takeonhpreview.exe, version: 1.59.82.161, time stamp: 0x4e034157

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0004547f

Faulting process id: 0x17d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc3537a3184c97

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe

Here is my ToH config file:

(ignore video settings in my signature - those are for A2/CO)

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1280;

Render_H=900;

FSAA=2;

postFX=3;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=915800064;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=1;

AToC=7;

Windowed=0;

Info from the preview.RPT file:

=====================================================================

== C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe

== "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe" -mod=TKOH_preview -nosplash -world=empty

=====================================================================

Exe timestamp: 2011/06/27 19:25:15

Current time: 2011/06/27 20:03:56

Version 1.59.82161

Item str_disp_server_control listed twice

Updating base class RscStandardDisplay->RscDisplayLoadMission, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayNotFreeze/

Updating base class ->controls, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayNotFreeze/controls/

Updating base class G_Expression->RscControlsGroup, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayDebug/Controls/G_Watch/

Updating base class B_Clear->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayDebug/Controls/B_OK/

Updating base class B_Clear->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayDebug/Controls/B_Cancel/

Updating base class RscButton->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayDebug/Controls/B_Clear/

Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayCapture/controls/ZoomIn/

Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayCapture/controls/ZoomOut/

Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayCapture/controls/Done/

Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenu, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayCapture/controls/Export/

Updating base class RscStandardDisplay->RscDisplayDebriefing, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayMissionFail/

Updating base class ->controls, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayMissionFail/controls/

Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayStart/controls/CA_Progress/

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 0)! MoveName: kia_uaz_cargo02

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: uaz_cargo02

No such side

=======================================================

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0044547F

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.7533

resolution: 1280x800x32

Mods: TKOH_preview

Distribution: 0

Version 1.59.82161

Fault address: 0044547F 01:0004447F C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe

file: intro2

world: takistan

Prev. code bytes: CC 51 56 8B F1 8B 06 85 C0 74 20 8B C8 83 CA FF

Fault code bytes: F0 0F C1 11 4A 75 0E 8B 0D 20 70 D4 00 8B 11 50

Registers:

EAX:00000001 EBX:00D69620

ECX:00000001 EDX:FFFFFFFF

ESI:0BF8F8C4 EDI:0000000A

CS:EIP:0023:0044547F

SS:ESP:002B:016BFBA0 EBP:016BFC18

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010286

Edited by OMAC

People with nVIDIA cards are getting these same ACCESS_VIOLATION crashes in the newer betas of Arma 2. I get them so often that I'd rather go back to the earlier betas. I guess Take On has had the same changes recently which causes these errors.

Thank you, Zipper5. I never got such crashes in A2/CO until I installed the ToH preview, even with 82128. Using A2 profile, after messing around with ToH visibility settings, then both A2 and ToH started to crash on exit. After making new profile, only ToH crashes. However, now I'm using 79600, which is quite stable, as you know.

Do you get the ACCESS_VIOL crashes on exit from ToH and/or A2/CO? Does loading saved ToH games work for you?

The only reason I'm worried about the crash is that I'm wondering if I have somehow messed up my video settings or profile.

Has ANYONE seen a crash of ToH upon exiting the game? I hope I'm not the only one.

Beta 82390 has the same grim crash on exit. Not good.

I'm able to reproduce this now, so it will be easier for our engineers to profile.

I'm able to reproduce this now, so it will be easier for our engineers to profile.

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for checking it out, DnA. Let me know if you need more info, dumps, etc.

BTW, A2/OA beta 82448 is really, really good.

Crash on exit still there in beta 82503. But that was loading a saved game from previous beta. If no saved game is loaded, then there is no crash on exit. But I will keep testing.

------------------------------------

Well, I saved a game, reloaded it, finished flight successfully, quit, and NO CRASH. Will keep testing.

------------------------------------

Nope. Crash is still there. Got two in a row after loading save. Dumps sent to Dwarden. This beta is definitely an improvement: the crashes appear less often for sure.

Edited by OMAC

The crash on exit issue has been fixed as of 83006, at least for me. Good job, BIS!

I've only crashed once in the preview, and it was a blue screen. First time I've had a bluescreen and I've had this computer for about 7 months. But I haven't had any more problems with it. By the way, you said your view distance was only 7km, I'm assuming because of FPS issues. Disable vsync then max it out :)

I've only crashed once in the preview, and it was a blue screen. First time I've had a bluescreen and I've had this computer for about 7 months. But I haven't had any more problems with it. By the way, you said your view distance was only 7km, I'm assuming because of FPS issues. Disable vsync then max it out :)

Why should I disable vsync? What are your visibility settings?

I upped the vis big time. See my signature for settings. FPS does decrease significantly.

Edited by OMAC