Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Badlands - Weapon problem

Hello,

At a base I have secured, I want to buy a rocket launcher and keep my standard issue holo rifle with the grenade launcher. What is the best way to do this?

I have spent hours trying to do so, and the only way I have found to do it is to drop my holo, buy the rocket launcher, and pick up the holo that I dropped. If I just buy the rocket, my holo has vanished into thin air forever. Sometimes, even if I buy just ammo for my holo, the holo has vanished. The holo isn't just hidden/sheathed, as if I double-tap left control it doesn't reappear.

I am having lots of trouble figuring out the buy weapons GUI. What exactly does "rearm" do vs upgrade? Where can I find detailed instructions for the GUI? I think that it is very poorly designed and unintuitive. :mad:

Arma 2 certainly can be quite maddening indeed.

Thank you.

Rearm mostly doesn't work and I don't get why you have so many problem with it.. it's a bit getting used to but everything works.. only doing it multiple times because you died or whatever sucks cause it takes some time to rearm. Just play around some and you'll find out, there is enough to buy in there and while doing that finding out how it works..

It's as simple as falling asleep while playing with your toes..:j:

You say that "rearm mostly doesn't work," and then you say that "everything works." Which is it? I have "played around" for hours and the GUI sucks massively in terms of keeping my holo.

You didn't answer my main question. What is the best way, click by click, to buy a rocket launcher but keep my holo rifle? Dropping the holo first and picking it up later can't be the best way to do it. :j:

"It's as simple as falling asleep while playing with your toes." WTF?

I hated Badlands and Dogs Of War so much because of Warfare-gamemode implementation, that I'm not going there any time soon to test this properly, but I can tell there are still so many bugs in those functions that I don't have the time or energy to report them all to CIT (at least not in the current situation where 10 bugs I have reported are still not fixed)

OMAC, please excuse me but I don't see why you need to re-ammo that Holo-weapon, since most of the shooting in that mission is better done with vehicle weaponry. But if you really have used all Holo-ammo, then I would put that weapon to Gear storage of some vehicle and then go and experiment with Buy Weapons.

Here are some weapon related bugs I ran into in Badlands:

If you enter Buy Weapons menu and decide to cancel and buy nothing, then your original weapons will just disappear. Its a bug for sure.

If Sykes takes position in BRDM-2 and you save game his original sniper rifle will disappear and will be replaced with AK-47. This bug happened to us twice in multiplayer so it could be multiplayer only bug. I would say savegame data it missing slots for some weapons or some vehicle sitting positions and this is why it defaults to AK-47.

Where can I find detailed instructions for the GUI?

I'm pretty sure there are no such instructions anywhere (but feel free to surprise me if they exist). I have read both Arma2 manuals from cover to cover and I noticed there are so many thing missing. The biggest mistake they made was to write like 20 pages about modding the game. Modding is something that is changing contantly and that information is mostly old already and not all players want to mod.

I am one of those people who read gamemanuals always from cover to cover and believe me I have read many during my lifetime and I have to say Arma2 manuals are not best manuals at all and when manuals are one of those things why we buy this stuff, I have to say: BIS, we demand better manuals next time! :mad:

Thank you, Hanzu, for providing another excellent answer!!!!! :bounce3:

Vanishing weapons in badlands are a nasty bug.

"If you enter Buy Weapons menu and decide to cancel and buy nothing, then your original weapons will just disappear. Its a bug for sure."

The above is EXACTLY the problem I was asking about, but the problem also occurs when you buy any weapon, even a pistol, ammo, or a rocket launcher. The holo just vanishes with no trace.

Hanzu, you are right about needing the holo rifle in badlands. Maybe one is just not supposed to worry about it vanishing, as there are plenty of other weapons to buy, and vehicle are mainly used in this mission. However, the low recoil and grenade launcher of the holo are unsurpassed, and I trust them. In such a hostile (and buggy) environment, I don't want to waste even more time experimenting with other weapons.

The playability and quality of a game can in large part be measured by the relative time spent fighting bugs and poorly-designed features versus fighting enemies. Arma 2's ratio is way, way too high, even with newest patches.

But it also has the best, fullest, most realistic environment that I have ever seen in a game, and that includes Crysis and Far Cry 2. While that in Crysis looks better at any given time, you are for the most part confined to well-disguised "canyons." Not so in Arma 2, which is wide open, and incredibly detailed.

I wish the interface and AI route-finding had been better designed, however. Poor AI route finding and leader-following just about ruin the game, although the latter will be addressed in subsequent patches.

Edited by OMAC