Sign in to follow this  
-=Grunt=-

XM-8 skin quality for Combined Ops users

It would be great to get the "good quality" XM-8 skins from ArmA 2 for us Combined Ops users, seems that using PMC Lite gives us the blurry skins even though those skins and models are already in the original ArmA 2.

I didn't really notice any change between the original ArmA 2 XM-8s and the "new" PMC ones except for zeroing.

Not really necessary since people rarely use the gun (Might see more use in the future, due to zeroing now and people without original A2) but it would be nice. (Since we already "payed" for those skins by buying ArmA 2)

I'm sure that the new parts of the new variants could be blurry, because some of the BAF lite weapon parts like the ACOG aren't blurry.

/expectingsomepeopletotellhimtojustbuythedlc :)

Nah, I think you're right. People paid for the stuff by getting A2, so it's a bit weird they took it out simply because it's in a new DLC> That's like re-selling the game! :P

+1 on your suggestion mate, seems only fair. :)

Yeah I was surprised they didn't put normal original textures on "new" xm8

Btw can you guys use 2nd XM8 crosshair like g36? For me it doesn't work.

+1

Nope, they left out the secondary sights from what I can see. That's a shame really, I won't be using those guns. :(

Yeah, but, does the mounted sight have any CQB sights. I can see it on the G36 scope, but not on the scope used for the XM8. Different scopes with different features. The XM8 one can be zeroed (not tested its accuracy yet though). I'm not familiar with the gun nor its scope though.

BIS should have given the XM-8 a new name like XM-8 [PMC] or something in that nature, i personally would like to have the ability to disable the lite versions altogether, since i don't play online anyway.

the XM8 has no secondary scope like the cheaper E (export) model of the G36.The build in Zeiss Kolimator is a quite pricy part on the german army G36.

See here!

the XM-8 was missing this to get the unit costs down.

The main "problem" with the G36A is thats it is very expensive compared to other assault rifles.

But I'm also not impreesed what happened to the XM-8 in this patch, and I used it often before.

Edited by Ulanthorn

BIS should have given the XM-8 a new name like XM-8 [PMC] or something in that nature, i personally would like to have the ability to disable the lite versions altogether, since i don't play online anyway.

There is, just start the game and disable it under expansions. The game needs to restart for it to take effect.

BIS gives CO a lite PMC campaign, and remove the fine XM8s as exchange.lol

Though I bought PMC I still wish BIS can put PMC weapons in an individual ammobox.

There is, just start the game and disable it under expansions. The game needs to restart for it to take effect.

No you can't disable it, it's not like with mods where you can, the disable button doesn't do anything.

some people shout for another DLCs (f*ing hard and realistic work of addonmakers) some people want more imports/ideas from other games (less realistic or not realistic) other people want get free DLC content ... please be serious

DLC is DLC, you should be gratefull to BIS that they gave "light" version for compatibility

they didn't have to give even pre-view of DLCs

Did you even check the textures on the XM8? I'd be pissed as a PMC lite user to see that a weapon, i bought with Arma 2 gets downgraded in a later patch.

[irony]I mean, why should there be any M16 left in Arma, they aren't used by the US army in OA, so why not delete them? [/irony]

you say that last patch screwed previous Arma2 XM8 (that came in Arma2, before OA) or you say than XM8 used by PMC are low res tex ?

in case 1 - would be bad to spoil already existing Arma2 weapons (i have Arma2 , than OA, maybe CO is packed other way)

in case 2 - it is cost of DLC, just like British camo , Wildcat etc.

Vilas, from what I hear they actually have the old arma2 xm8 the lite texture (as in, even people who bought a2 and as such already had that rifle suddenly have the lite version if they don't buy pmc). This kind of means that a piece of software is being re-sold to them, under the pretence if new content. Sounds fishy to me. :P

I'll have to take other people's word for it though, I didn't check it out myself do I can't speak from experience. But if it is the case then its just a little unfair.

oops , it would be unfair to spoil already existing content by patch

i thought that they say about new XM8

or maybe it is a matter that when i play Arma2 only i not notice what people have playing CO cause Arma2 is 1.08, not 1.56

@Von_Lipwig:

Being able to actually use the gun without having exploits (old XM8 had NVG capable scope, the new one doesn't), is to me of more value than some texture. Which is more important in a tactical shooter, correct function or high def texture?

But I guess it doesn't matter to you, as you won't be using these guns anyway, because they don't have a feature you want that doesn't exist on the real thing.

But they didn't have a go on the "drum mag on all rifles" exploit, so apparently that one is left out to me to figure out a cure for. Although drum mags are compatible with all guns, the drawbacks for using it is so significant you wouldn't do it in real life (heat, pouches incompatible, stoppages etc). But in game these drawbacks doesn't exist, allowing you to carry 1 2/3 times as much ammo as you should (which is quite a lot). Seems my only option is to allow the XM family for everything except automatic riflemen, if I want to avoid this exploit.

@Von_Lipwig:

Being able to actually use the gun without having exploits (old XM8 had NVG capable scope, the new one doesn't), is to me of more value than some texture.

Aha...but you know about the fact that all M16 ACOG and all AK-107 PSO and the SMAW still have working miracle night vision? All or nothing, the exploit still works. and the best is you can still carry 6 SMAW rounds. Edited by Ulanthorn

@Von_Lipwig:

Being able to actually use the gun without having exploits (old XM8 had NVG capable scope, the new one doesn't), is to me of more value than some texture. Which is more important in a tactical shooter, correct function or high def texture?

But I guess it doesn't matter to you, as you won't be using these guns anyway, because they don't have a feature you want that doesn't exist on the real thing.

I agree with you that having correct functions is better than having a good texture.... had it not been for the fact that people did actually already pay for these rifles. No matter which way it is turned, to me it still seems a bit like stealing something from people and then selling it back to them again. They sold it as 'new content' but it is, in fact, old content that's been edited some. I wouldn't even care about that if people who bought A2 could at least have the textures if not the functions.

As I said, I don't mind it for myself, I got the DLC. But I can understand why other would feel duped by this.

And concerning the non-existig CQB sights: even if the scopes don't really have any sights on them, it would still be good if there was some sort of over-the-scope view that doesn't give you a clear indication of where you're firing but at least provides a step between firing while looking through the scope and firing from the hip.

As for value, we're only talking about a couple of beers (I live in a very expensive country wrt beer :p) a couple of times a year. I think I could handle it economically :) We all know that A2 content won't be updated for free to match OA standards, because there is too much of it. Maybe next time it will be the russian faction (similar to BAF). And next time after that some small faction with updated M16s (similar to PMC). Who knows. I still won't be buying, unless everything comes updated in some kind of gold edition (with DVD and everything).

I guess my only real wish is that it was possible for us A2 buyers to get the A2 texture automatically. Support for hidden selections would be awesome, but we can't have that in a DLC approach (takes away the revenue).

@Ulanthorn:

Yes, and because of that I'm not using any M16s. Functionally the SCAR-L does everything the M16s does (it's the same ammo), I'm not that hung up about the visuals. And I'm only using Takistani enemies, so the russian weapons isn't much of a concern at this point.

You have a fair point there ;) 9 Euros sure isn't much, it's just the principle of the thing. As I said I was not personally "duped". :p

I guess it's the logical choice for BIS but it just seems odd to me still. Still looking forward to whatever they decide to release next though. :)