Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Texture Problem With On "Surface" Option

Hey everyone,

I'm re-creating the BIS train track models but when I choose the "On Surface" option in O2 the textures start to behave strangely becomeing transparent and I cant see the train tracks because of this texture problem. Here is a screen shot:

arma21v.th.jpg

One more:

arma22.th.jpg

All textures are in .paa format saved using the lastest Tex2View program and no .rvmats are used in the model yet only .paa textures. Any ideas how to fix this or alternative ways to make the tracks allign to the ground? :j:

Edited by -Martin-

Might just be me not thinking clearly but where/what is the "On Surface" option in O2? The error you are getting does look like something that I've seen before, are both parts of the track part of the model (so the rails and the wood going across it)?

This is the option in o2

25824174.jpg

Heres a link to the model:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgd52yzyhmd

The parts are in the same .p3d but they are not all connected inside the model, the rails are seperate, so is the wood and rocks but they are in the same model.

do you really have no landcontact lod or geometry lod? as what is it configured when u test it ingame? did you read the o2 manual, named geometry lod properties?

maybe named property class=road helps.

most important, is it just for placing in visitor or do you want to have it as a editor placable object?

from o2 manual:

placement Assigns specific deformation according to the terrain shape map surface

slope

// the model is SKEWed according to the terrain shape, vertical lines remain vertical. Better than vertex property “Keep height “ in many cases

SlopeLandContact

placement=slopeZ

placement=slopeX

// variants where the transformation counts with landcontact defined points (1-3)

Edit:

you have double faces in all of your model. not good, since they are not needed. also the point count seems much to high for the model.

Edited by Scars09

do you really have no landcontact lod or geometry lod?

I've been modeling in o2 for a few years now the reason I didnt make any LOD's is because the model doesnt work, thus it would be a waste of time for now.

you have double faces in all of your model. not good, since they are not needed. also the point count seems much to high for the model.

The reason I have double faces in some parts is because I thought maybe if I connect all the parts together then it might work, but it doesnt :sad:

as what is it configured when u test it ingame?

I just place it in Vistor as it is, and then loaded it in game, when I use the option "Keep height (fence)" this problem disappears, but this option doesnt allign with the ground well.

maybe named property class=road helps.

I tried this but it didnt help :sad:

most important, is it just for placing in visitor or do you want to have it as a editor placable object?

its just for placing in Vistor as an object, but so far I made a good work around for the problem. Instead of making that hill with rocks under the train tracks, I painted the rock directy on the island masks and then just placed the tracks without the rocks there it looks very nice actually :smile:I'll show some screenshots later

I'm at college at the moment but I'll have a look when I get home for you, dunno how much help I'll end up being but the error seems really similar to something I have seen with heads and helmets (the head always appeared to be outside the helmet and that the helmet texture was behind it).

Have you gone onto the "Faces" drop down menu and clicked on "sort"? dunno if it will help but its worth a try.

"On Surface" was really only meant to be used for things like runway textures etc. If you need something to follow the terrain, as scars said its better to use "SlopeLandContact" named property in the geo load.

Re yor transparent textures. Try using TGA format for your textures instead of PNGs. You may find that your current PNG texture has an alpha layer that casuing your transparency issue.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Well unfortunately none of these steps worked :sad: so I had to come up with a different solution, personally I think this looks even better then the BIS tracks, what do you guys think?

111lx.th.jpg

whats up with the pink and green?

the pink and green is the layer mask of the island, I'm importing the island from OFP, its still a BETA so as I import more buildings and add trees I also change the layer mask and satellite mask :smile: Don't worry it wont be like that when I release it :biggrin:

one last question. why don´t you use the bis railways when it is for visitor?

one last question. why don´t you use the bis railways when it is for visitor?

Because the BIS railways are like a normal object they don’t align to the ground, so when there is a hill they don’t follow it but stick out of the ground etc... I have no idea why BIS didn’t make them follow the ground, possibly because it’s quite difficult and they experienced the same problem like me. And also for some parts of the island I need special pieces and I wanted to keep the consistency of the game, to use the same railways that people are familiar with, that’s the reason I recreated the BIS railways, so when people download my island it doesn’t feel like they came to some different world but that they are still in ArmA 2 and still in a Eastern European country like Chernorus. This is also the reason why people want the ArmA 2 MLOD models, to keep their island consistent with the original game not to steal their models.:smile:

it looks good ...

so you say with this you can create working railways which align properly to the surface?

it looks good ...

so you say with this you can create working railways which align properly to the surface?

Yep, that’s exactly what I'm saying :smile: I also fixed the problem I originally has by selecting the faces that seemed under another part of the model in Oxygen and going to Faces > Move Top I had a similar problem in Operation Flashpoint when making glass textures.

Here are some screenshots to show that it works, but I won’t be using that hill of rocks under the train tracks because it doesn’t look good I will keep it like this and also release the MLOD's for these train tracks for other people to use (sorry for the poor quality of the land textures, I'm still working on it) I have no idea why BIS didn’t do this simple step to align the model with the ground which would have made their track placement faster and simpler.:Oo:

rails1.th.png

rails2.th.png

I guess the MLOD models which are replicas of the original BIS trian tracks will be released in a few days, when I have tome to finish everything etc...