Sign in to follow this  
SpecterM

description.ext simplified - getting players to respawn

Can someone simplify this for me. I have done a-lot of reading on this and cant seem to figure out how to set it up. All im trying to do is get my guys to respawn when they die during custom missions.

Any help other than links that direct me to a bunch of things i dont understand would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you sooo much.

place a marker and call it respawn_west and in your desc.ext add

respawn = 3;

respawndelay = 15;

that should be enough, bear in mind it wont work when previeing in the editor, you will have to complie it then test

but thats what im saying. where is the desc.ext, or how do I add it.

ok first in the editor save your mission as it is then alt-tab out, browse to your ArmA 2\missions folder, open your mission folder, in there will be a mission.sqm file, right click in the white space and create a new text document name it description, then open it and paste in this

respawn = 3;

respawndelay = 15;

then go to save as and change the option to all files, delete the txt and replace with ext

:)

Im missing something. I save it and go to my Arma2 \MPmissions folder and it shows up as a PBO file. when I open the missions folder there is nothing in there.

BTW, your in plymouth... ma?

plymouth uk

your looking in the wrong folder, look in "my docs\arma2"

also when saving dont export, just choose the 1st option

I really thought I had it that time. Once, I re-saved the mission. I pulled the new folder out of the documents and added it to my server in the arma2\MPMissions folder. I restarted the server, killed myself and then i had to re-vote the map.

in the documents folders, a custommap folder was created when I saved it. where do i put that to have it play multiplayer on my server?

email it to me and il have a look if you like, ill tell you anychanges to make

Create description.ext in ...documents\arma2\missions\missionanme folder, and THEN export the mission to MP mission from the editor, and then run it on a server.

before uploading to a server test it locally

before uploading to a server test it locally

Remember you can only test respawn in multiplayer mode, so Export your mission to multiplayer, start up a LAN game, and try the mission there.

add a marker named respawn west (or east ect where u wona respawn)

then

-go to the folder documents-arma2-MPMissions-(now double click on the mission u created in editor which u want respawns for)

-create a description.ext file at this location if there already isnt one already(i coppied it out of documents-arma2-missions folder)

-edit your new description.ext file u now have and make it say :

respawn = "BASE";

respawnDelay = 5;

you can edit these so u respawn with group or have a respawn delay

this worked for me and this is exactly what i did so now me and my friends can respawn on multiplayer where i put the respawn marker, there are many much more complicated respan scripts that allow moving respawns(as you complete objectives) and vehicle respawn scripts if you look for them

Thank you so much... it worked.

Edited by SpecterM

Ignore this because apparently I am an idiot! :)

ok I am back.

I managed to get everything working but I still have a problem.

I have used the first aid, battlefield clearance and simulation modules, synched to every playable member of my team and they work fine. There is a also a respawn marker in my base in case anyone dies.. you know.. as a punishment - if you get killed you start off in the base again haha!

It works fine too.

We played for a while and had a great time blah blah until something happened and we couldn't first aid each other. The medic was also useless. The option appeared on the wheel menu but nothing happened when any one of use tried to apply it. Later for some unknown reason our team of four members, got split. I couldn't see them on the map at all.

What's going on here? Anyone?

Edited by Master gamawa

No idea, but as far as I know you should not be using the first aid module, only simulation and battlefield clearance, as simulation already creates the first aid module. This may or may not have anything to do with your problem though.

I'll try that right now. There is another problem now. For some reason after I respawn the enemies don't see us as enemies anymore. They just stand there doing nothing.

Please dudes help!

I'll try that right now. There is another problem now. For some reason after I respawn the enemies don't see us as enemies anymore. They just stand there doing nothing.

Please dudes help!

That seems like a bug with the game and I have no idea what's the cause, but some say it has something to do with the first aid modules :(

Just pray that BIS fix it someday...

that didn't work either. I am lost.

I don't think I'll manage anything with trial and error anyway.

So I am going to ask this as simple as I can.

Is it possible to use the first aid and battlefield clearance modules AND respawn at the same time?

I mean all players can apply basic first aid, the medic can fully heal as medics do and in the case that someone dies completely (headshot/bleeds out), he will respawn at the base.

As I see it right now it's either 1. first aid module and battlefield clearance and when you die you restart the mission or 2. no first aid (just a medic) and when you die you respawn at the base.

I am under the impression that when you respawn, the modules are flushed away and the team breaks and the enemies stop considering you as a threat.

Damn!

Is it possible to use the first aid and battlefield clearance modules AND respawn at the same time?

I did a little test and it seemed to work fine. I did following:

1. Placed myself in a group with a few corpsmen.

2. Placed a few enemy groups a little away.

3. Placed a FA module, a BC module & a AIS module.

4. Synchronized modules to group leader.

5. Started game and killed myself and respawned.

6. On respawn i re-synchronized myself to the modules via script.

7. I dammaged myself and got revived by AI team mates.

8. I ran to the enemy groups who shot me down.

So i guess it works unless i missed the whole point :p

JW I'm not sure if this bug happens every time, it seems to sometimes happen and sometimes not, though then again it was always in missions with no re-syncing of the modules and a really long time ago so I don't really remember exactly what was going on other than AI ignoring (some of) the players completely.

No, you didn't miss anything except of the "6. On respawn i re-synchronized myself to the modules via script." which I am completely clueless as to how to do that and I guess that would solve my problem if you posted how you did it a bit earlier. :)

Anyway, between that post and this, I downloaded the revive script ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74396 ), fiddled around with it for a couple of hours and now everything works PLUS I can respawn from a mobile tent, I paradrop from a chopper, insertion point, base, I can bandage my self, heal others and do everything the modules promised without problems... so far.

Now, if you could tell me how you re-synched your self via script I'd be a happy man. You know, just in case the revive script betrays me!

Thanks in advace. Have a good night everybody!

The only problem with the revive script is that even a nuclear bomb won't kill you and you will still be able to be revived, so if you don't want that you'll still have to find a way to work with the first aid modules.

No, you didn't miss anything except of the "6. On respawn i re-synchronized myself to the modules via script." which I am completely clueless as to how to do that and I guess that would solve my problem if you posted how you did it a bit earlier. :)

Anyway, between that post and this, I downloaded the revive script ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74396 ), fiddled around with it for a couple of hours and now everything works PLUS I can respawn from a mobile tent, I paradrop from a chopper, insertion point, base, I can bandage my self, heal others and do everything the modules promised without problems... so far.

Now, if you could tell me how you re-synched your self via script I'd be a happy man. You know, just in case the revive script betrays me!

Thanks in advace. Have a good night everybody!

Try this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97156

The only problem with the revive script is that even a nuclear bomb won't kill you and you will still be able to be revived, so if you don't want that you'll still have to find a way to work with the first aid modules.

Well, to be honest, I don't really care about 'dying'. It's a game after all. As long as I pay a price for not being careful, I am fine.

Until last night I used the basic "respawn where you stand after 15 seconds" which, believe me, makes missions a bit stupid. Sometimes we just commited suicide just to get ammo from our dead bodies! :)

The team eventually got split and everyone just wondered around doing their own thing.

The good thing about this script is that everything is configurable to the last detail, so after a bit of playtesting I will find what suits our needs.

thanks I will!