Sign in to follow this  
Typooni

Network ports?

What ports should one open from his router in order to host/join multiplayer matches in proper way if behind NAT?

Hi !

I was testing a bit the other day and ended up opening the following ports and ranges:

udp/tcp 2300-2400

udp/tcp 47624

udp 28800-28900

I can connect to servers and host a server on a machine of choice in my LAN.

If you want to host a server you need to properly forward port range 2300-2400 to the ip your server is on.

If anyone has more precise information I'd be happy to hear from you.

Cheers !

DC

Hi !

I was testing a bit the other day and ended up opening the following ports and ranges:

udp/tcp 2300-2400

udp/tcp 47624

udp 28800-28900

I can connect to servers and host a server on a machine of choice in my LAN.

If you want to host a server you need to properly forward port range 2300-2400 to the ip your server is on.

If anyone has more precise information I'd be happy to hear from you.

Cheers !

DC

We only opened these ports:

udp/tcp 2302-2305

But we're not using NAT.

Hi !

Thanks for quick answer, can I ask you how did you find out those are the ports needed open?

Thanks for quick answer, can I ask you how did you find out those are the ports needed open?

Not sure about the policy regarding links so I'm not posting one.

Google for "Wireshark".

Use a network protocol analyzer to see live traffic from/to/inside your LAN. Those tools will usually set the interface you're filtering on into promiscuous mode. You need to add a filter for the IP address of your client / server to filter out what you want / don't want to see.

If you're unsure how to do that, they have a beginner forum where you may ask questions as you like.

Cheers !

DC

We only opened these ports:

udp/tcp 2302-2305

But we're not using NAT.

On the Arma-FAQ page it says you only need 2302 and 2303 UDP for Arma2. I opened them and forwarded them. But i have to use NAT, otherwise my internet isn't working anymore.So is 2302-2305 TCP also needed, not only udp? With my old router , these settings were not necessary, and i have no clue about this port forwarding stuff..

I have two options in my router: Port Mapping, where i can set my PC Ip, Lan port and public port, and Special applications, there is "Trigger port" and "public port" ..i figured out that the trigger is a new variant of forwarding and it only opens the port, when its being used..but i can't get it working..i also got vdsl not adsl ..would be nice if somebody, who is familiar with networks, could help me out..thx

Edited by [EC]M.O.R

Hi [EC] M.O.R

UDP/TCP has nothing to do with NAT vs. non NAT setups. Those two are network transport protocols and only concern you in the way that you need to know whether ArmA is expecting to be able to transmit/receive data on either or both of them.

Assuming that your are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, I believe your problem could be the Windows firewall. Try disabling it and do the following. Tell your router to forward all packets incoming via protocol UDP on port 2302 (public / private port) and 2303 (public / private port) to the IP address that your gaming PC has inside your LAN. Then do the same for packets using TCP.

Now test whether it works for you. If it does enable the Windows firewall again and test again. If it doesn't work the problem is the Windows firewall and you need to adjust the firewall rules to allow inbound / outbound traffic from / to UDP / TCP ports 2302 and 2303.

Once both things are setup and working, try disallowing TCP ports 2302 and 2303 to test if you really need those opened up. If things are still working, remove the port forward for TCP 2302 and 2303 from your router and keep the ports blocked in your Windows firewall.

Cheers !

DC

Edited by Demon Cleaner

Hey !

Thx for the answer. I tried disabling the firewall in windows. I don'T think that's the prob, i think it is more the god damn new router i got from vodafone.

I still don't know if i have to put it in the special applications table with trigger port and co. , or in the port mapping table, with my ip ,lan port and public port, or in both.

This trigger port feature is new, as i said in my first post, so it only opens the port, when i'm using it with my pc, so the trigger activates it.should prevent the port from being open all the time.it works one sided, because i can see the server of my buddy, but i cannot join.so i don't know if the trigger should be either 2302 or 2303.

on my old router it was so easy, and now this so called "high end" hardware screws my mind and stops me from playing the campaign in coop. I really don't know how to go ahead, because i understand the portforwarding, but the router interface and these trigger are so strange

Edited by [EC]M.O.R

Hi !

I've not come across this trigger feature yet, but from what you're describing it sounds sort of like a statefull thingy.

If you trigger a transmission on let's say port 2302, the far end can send you data back on this port since the router knows through the packet headers, that this communication was originally requested by you. This is what you should go with. Allow for port 2302 and 2303 UPD and TCP to be "triggered" and then see if you can connect. I'm quite sure this will be sufficient and I'll have a look at my router config when I get home from work. In the meantime, if it does not work, see if you can implement complete ranges udp/tcp 2300 -> 2400 as well as udp/tcp 47624 and udp 28800 -> 28900.

Port mapping is something different. You need port mapping if for instance you want to run a certain service in a NATed environment but you don't want or can't run it on it's default ports. Take a webserver for example (defaults to port 80 for http and port 443 for https). You can setup port mapping to do the following. Your router will accept http requests from the internet on port 88 or whatever port you like, and then forward the request internally to your webserver on port 80. Your webserver will think "Ah ... this is a request for me !", and answer it on port 80. The router will then forward packet to the requesting client on port 88 (which the client initially requested ). Mostly I've seen this being used to "hide" certain services.

Cheers !

DC