• Mediocre
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

Please,head-on to the new thread:

[OPEN BETA] [sP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

----

Hi gentlemen,

i am looking for a few candidates in order to test some AI mod under developement.

I am not going to disclose much information as of now, except for the following:

* The mod is / will be named bCombat;

* It's an AI mod for infantry combat (NOT Massive), featuring a broad serie of enhancements;

* It has been under development since late 2010, privately run by me on ArmA2 for fun, never released, now ported to ArmA3;

* It's for Single Player only, at the moment;

* It runs pretty stable, without .rpt flooding;

* it's running on top of CBA and bDetect, for those who know what's it ;)

Ideal candidates should ideally have:

* Willingness to playtest the mod alone (eg. no other mods running) and to give feedback;

* Good experience with BIS games gameplay (being myself a player since OFP, i would appreciate long-timers);

* Prominent interest into infantry combat;

* Spare time to playtest mod features;

* A decent rig, since mod currently lacks optimization;

These candidates would get the mod files in semi-deployed fashion (e.g. a folder containing .sqf / .fsm files, to be activated as game extension)

I'm NOT making any groundbreaking promises nor i'm willing to hype this thing at all.

The whole matter here is i currently have some (decent i hope) AI stuff running and would like to collect some (experienced people) feedback in order:

* to evaluate whether mod's good enough for a public release;

* to balance some features;

Please let me know within this thread, anybody interested.

Take care.

---------------- UPDATE: ---------------------

-----------------------------------------------

A. Private release planning

Testers will privately get the link for mod download, once double-checked and packaged.

Hopefully testers will get the package by the end of next week (Nov 3rd).

Installation instructions will follow.

B. Complete List of accepted testers

Mustangdelta (+ 3 group members)

Lordprimate

ebarstad

TheCapulet

Mr_Centipede

Katipo66

gammadust

RAINF

gagi

Kremator

SavageCDN

stun

froggyluv

The Hebrew Hammer

bravo409

GDSN

C. Basic Mod features (as of version v0.11 )

[b]1. FIRE & MOVEMENT[/b]

* Units move more on the battlefield. When a target is disclosed, they carefully evaluate whether to stop or move on, depending on logic patterns, including evaulation of:

* Type of current order
* Rules of engagement
* Distance, angle, visibility of target
* Morale (see MORALE)

* Whenever units are given a MOVE command, they DO prioritize movement over fire, unless:

* they're under fire
* enemy distance falls under some threshold

this behaviour is true for subordinates, when group leader is player.

* Whenever under fire, units prioritize returning fire over movement, unless:

* unit skill is low
* morale (see MORALE) is low
* fire is coming from flank or back, or they're moving at speed: in that case units may prefer keep moving towards planned destination

* Depending on skill, as well as other criteria, units may decide to open fire onto enemies suppressing leader or other units within the same group (see AWARENESS)

* Units who fall too far from formation are automatically ordered to fall back. [ALPHA feature]

[b]2. AWARENESS[/b]

bCombat implements the following enhancements:

* Units are alerted by (enemy) light weapons gunfire, within some distance [ALPHA feature]

* Units are faster in identifying as enemy units in clear line-of-sight

* Units detect being under fire. Suppression fire is modeled to impact morale (see MORALE)

* Units alerted OR under fire OR recently been under fire do adapt their stance accordingly:

* they go prone / crawl when being fired upon, except for CQB case
* they crouch when alerted, or recently shot at
* they stand whenever they need to sprint, or consider themselves safe

* Units may dynamically pick their target, based on priority:

* known enemy not targetable is low priority;
* known enemy in line-of-sight is normal priority;
* known enemy shooting own leader or other units in the group is high priority;
* known enemy shooting the unit itself is maximum priority;

The probability of picking a target depends on many criterias, primarily unit skill.
Units whose morale (see MORALE) is low tend moving / crawling around ignoring targets, which is typical for a panic situation.

* Target lock is acquired, checked and released much more frequently, compared to ArmA3 default.

3. MORALE

bCombat implements custom morale routines.

Units with low morale tend becoming combat ineffective, whatever the cause (suppression fire, casualties, combat stress ...).
This brings further options on the tactical level.

Basically morale is negatively affected by:

* Enemies inbound (simulated cause: combat stress)
* Incoming gunfire (simulated cause: suppression fire). Incoming gunfire inflicts a higher penalty when the shooter is unknown. This is done in order to better to simulate panic on ambushed or sniped units.
* Being hit (simulated cause: wounds)
* Nearby explosions (simulated cause: suppression fire)
* Friendly casualties (simulated cause: casualties)
* Depleted ammo (simulated cause: vulnerability)

Notes on morale:

* Morale reduction is roughly inversely proportional to unit skill: so highly skilled units suffer lesser morale penalty.
* Morale recovery rate is proportional to unit skill.
* Morale recovery rate is lessened by wounds, whatever the skill.
* Morale reduction affects units by:

* Reducing firing accuracy 
* Reducing courage 
* Reducing chance of returning fire
* Increasing chance of crawling away instead of returning fire
* Increasing chance of fleeing and surrendering

* Units may flee whenever morale breaks
* Units may surrender whenever fleeing and under fire [ALPHA feature]

Sorry for typos,

D. MEDIA

This video shows autoriflemen stopping on height in front of Charkia and providing overwatch / suppression fire while their own groups advance through the village.

NOTICE: autoriflemen are identified by balloons over their heads (other units have no balloons).

bCombat v0.14 - Assault on Charkia footage, you may wish to compare with previously posted video featuring v0.11.

bCombat v0.13 - experiment: units investigating after hearing a nearby explosion

bCombat v0.13 - testing / Sniper in action from 500m.

bCombat v0.13 - CQB grenade throwing

bCombat v0.13 pitched fighting

Preview video, showing some AI groups storming Charkia village.

Coloured balloons, inspired by TPWCAS, show current unit morale level (WHITE=100%, GREEN=75-100%, BLUE=50-75%, ...).

Video itself is horrible, i know ... but you may spot some basic mod features: movement and stance handling primarily.

Edited by fabrizio_T
testers list updated

I'm sure members in our group would be glad to help.

We're in the process of moving the group to Arma 3 and everyone meets your qualifiers.

You could just release your work and ask for feedback, wouldn't that be easier for you and viewers of this thread?

You could just release your work and ask for feedback, wouldn't that be easier for you and viewers of this thread?

I understand your objection.

My time is limited. I can deal with feedback from a handful of experienced players, who already know the issues of the ArmA franchise and are able to spot improvements or problems.

This kind of people would hopefully support me in checking / improving stuff, without me having to deal with some massive and heterogeneous feedback.

IF the mod will prove useful, THEN i would release it to the public.

I'm not willing to waste my time nor players time, please understand me.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

I'm sure members in our group would be glad to help.

We're in the process of moving the group to Arma 3 and everyone meets your qualifiers.

Thank you, group feedback would be good.

Please let me know whether you had experience with TPWCAS, currently or previously.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hello there Fabrizio_T.

A small handfull of people (including myself) meet most of those req. We however have not been playing since OPF, but each have a few years under our belts.

I am familiar with tpwcas, as i am currently working with ollem and others to get it ported to arma 3.

If you feel i am qualified i would like to help!

I was just checking out your github to see if there was an updated version of bdetect for A3 and im confused...

on github your version says 0.8 but in tpwcas i have a 1.0 version?

what also confuses me is that github says it was updated about 2hrs ago... or am i misunderstanding github

so, my question is should i be looking at the github version for updates and merge them with my curent version. whats going on there? Any info is appreciated

Edited by Lordprimate

I'd be interested in testing your mod. I only play SP and have been testing and offering feedback on the other AI mods for A3 (TPW, ASR, WW) and have my own scenarios I run for testing AI. I've been playing since Arma 2 came out and know what the AI mods for that game are capable of.

I typically only run infantry missions and AI mods, so this sounds like exactly what I play already. I'd love to chip in with some Q/A to make a better Arma3.

I'm willing to help, as I myself only play primarily infantry only type of firefight. Also I was working on some sort of AI battledrill script using bdetect and nearTargets as its base, so I might be of help. But time is a concern, if you're willing to hear feedback at least once week, then I'm in

All I do is mess in the editor so i might as well do something useful if you need more testers, only because I like trying out AI improvement and behavior scripts, I probably couldn't give you any detailed technical feedback but I usually mostly play infantry even subordinate to AI and half the entertainment for me is just watching the game in action.

Hello there Fabrizio_T.

I was just checking out your github to see if there was an updated version of bdetect for A3 and im confused...

on github your version says 0.8 but in tpwcas i have a 1.0 version?

what also confuses me is that github says it was updated about 2hrs ago... or am i misunderstanding github

so, my question is should i be looking at the github version for updates and merge them with my curent version. whats going on there? Any info is appreciated

v0.80 is the last version of the "official" bDetect distribution.

tpwcas currently relies on a customized bDetect version, which is managed by Ollem and has its own versioning.

Plese don't mix things, i'm sure Ollem will manage to do merging, whenever needed.

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

Glad to see people is interested into helping.

More info will follow.

I'm interested in helping fabrizio, if you still need more testers... :)

I'm interested in helping fabrizio, if you still need more testers... :)

Sure, i'm accepting testers till the end of current week ( sunday 27 /10 )

Very keen to give it a shot. All i do in Arma is check out AI mods and combos, I was eagerly anticipating something new like this, especially after the disappointing news that KAI is being delayed in terms of A3.

Edit: WHOA! I didnt even read who was making this, Fabrizio_T? Now i KNOW this is going to be good, i remember that mod you were working on where the AI would avoid fights they couldn't win without substantial losses etc, that looked AMAZING!

Just to resume, the list of people interested in testing so far includes:

Mustangdelta

Lordprimate

ebarstad

TheCapulet

Mr_Centipede

Katipo66

gammadust

RAINF

These people are all in.

I'm accepting more candidates till 27/10, with an absolute maximum of 20 people.

First-come, first-served.

Features list will be disclosed within a few days.

You can add me for this test if you want to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think Chris B should be involved, i dont think many people test AI like he does, though he is working with that KAI and his Smart AI mix at the moment, I shall let him know about this, though he is like aware.

<----- Count me in too Fab please? I think I have been around long enough *cough*

<----- Count me in too Fab please? I think I have been around long enough *cough*

You, youngster ? ;)

You're in (obviously), Sir.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I'd love to help test. Lots of experience using AI mods (maybe not ChrisB level but...):

DAC

UPSMON

GL4

ASR_AI

TPWCAS

Ooooh I'm getting a warm and fuzzy feeling! Good to see some 'names' stepping forward. The community works :)

Ooooh I'm getting a warm and fuzzy feeling! Good to see some 'names' stepping forward. The community works :)

*Group Hug*

:o

Do you plan on making this an MP-compatible mod at some point or should I just shut my mouth? :p

Sorry re-read 1st post.

OK now I'm extra curious as to what exactly this is... seeing as TWPCAS and ASR_AI are moving to Arma 3...

Edited by SavageCDN

*Group Hug*

:o

Do you plan on making this an MP-compatible mod at some point or should I just shut my mouth? :p

Sorry re-read 1st post.

OK now I'm extra curious as to what exactly this is... seeing as TWPCAS and ASR_AI are moving to Arma 3...

Basically this mod, within its first release, is going to fiddle with:

* Fire & movement

* AI awareness

* Morale

Many features have already been stripped and are shelved for later release, meaning we can concentrate on playtesting and balancing a few features at a time.

This in order to keep things under control.

Like TPWCAS, bCombat does include own suppression fire logic, tightly bound to custom morale mechanics.

Morale is event-driven and central within the mod; it's coded to achieve better tactical options on the battlefield.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Just to resume, the list of people interested in testing so far includes:

Mustangdelta

Lordprimate

ebarstad

TheCapulet

Mr_Centipede

Katipo66

gammadust

RAINF

These people are all in.

I'm accepting more candidates till 27/10, with an absolute maximum of 20 people.

First-come, first-served.

Features list will be disclosed within a few days.

I'll get a head count from our members on those will ing join in the fun and PM you with the list.

I'll get a head count from our members on those will ing join in the fun and PM you with the list.

Thanks, let me know.

Sounds very interesting fabrizio... can't wait to take it for a spin!!