Sign in to follow this  
samatra

[MP/Team] Sa-Matra's Wasteland

Description

Thread dedicated to Sa-Matra's Wasteland for ArmA 3. Thread is currently in state of placeholder, will be expanded later. Mission will be available for hosting for other communities later when we will reach stable state of the mission. It will be either semi-public or fully public, we did not decide yet.

---

Wasteland for ArmA 3 by Sa-Matra reached final development stage of public testing, we invite all ArmA 3 players that enjoyed our Wasteland in ArmA 2 to help us with playtesting. Sa-Matra's Wasteland is proper ArmA 3 Wasteland built from ground off with almost everything rewritten and reworked with all our develpoment and administration experience of making Wasteland for ArmA 2 taken into account. Some of the key features of our Wasteland:

1) Gun store with ability to buy everything from repair kits and fuel cans to guns and equipment as well as ability to sell it

2) 9 new towns to spawn in, all buildings spawn loot inside them ranging from food\water to repair kits, fuel cans, backpacks and rarely ammo crates

3) Reworked food\water system which now regenerates your health if you have 100% hunger and 100% thirst status

4) 7 missions including underwater missions

5) Custom handling of vehicles locality which helps with access to equipment inside vehicles. (In most cases you will not have to drop stuff on ground before taking it)

6) Lots of features from ArmA 2 Wasteland are intact: you can spawn in helicopters, on base defense radars, forming groups, etc.

Known bugs:

- "NV Goggles" spawned inside crates and vehicles cannot be taken, this is ArmA 3 bug again: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=7886

- General problems with inventory are still in the game, they are not related to Wasteland (items duping, being unable to get certain items off crates or bodies, etc.)

Servers

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

I tried this out last night, and aside from the glitches that are ARMA 3-based (and not Wasteland-based), it was awesome! I think you've done a great job, Sa-Matra! Keep it up!

However, I do have one suggestion and one question:

Suggestion:

I had trouble with not knowing if I could fit certain items into my inventory because of their size (and how many slots I had left). I noticed that in the player menu, you added a feature that shows how many slots you're using and how many slots you have total. However, I think that it would be beneficial to also say how many slots an item takes up when viewing the inventory screen.

I've made a rough mockup of what it could look like: (Note: this is just a random ARMA 3 inventory image I found on google. It is not from the Wasteland server. Also, the typeface I used is not the default ARMA 3 typeface, as I don't know what that is.)

Mua9rhy.png

Question:

Are you going to eventually enable the use of mods that fix ARMA 3 UI problems? For instance, the stance indicator mods or the GPS fix mods?

EDIT: I also am very happy that you made it almost impossible to kill someone while moving a base part. Goodbye, griefers and cheaters!

Edited by Whispy

Try'd it out the other night. The build is amazing. Hoping we can host it once it's available. Cheers.

I think I have discovered something:

After playing with about 10 ppl on the test server for some minutes (not sure how long, maybe 20min), FPS suddenly dropped to about 10 and started to vacillating between 10-50.

NOW, as I repaired a car and idly watched the car being repaired, the FPS would return to normal.

AND, while looking a the player menu as I was repairing the car, the moment I moved the mouse cursor around on the screen the FPS dropped to about 10. When I let the mouse cursor be idle, the FPS was back to normal.

I realize now that I have mouse acceleration ON, so perhaps that had something to do with this issue of mine.

Sensitivites at around 60% for X and Y axis. Normal invert axis. Acceleration ON. Smoothing at around 30%.

If I drive a car around using keys only, letting go of my mouse, FPS returns to normal.

Edited by Treehugger

awesome job man , i tried it the other day really enjoyed it!

NOW, as I repaired a car and idly watched the car being repaired, the FPS would return to normal.

AND, while looking a the player menu as I was repairing the car, the moment I moved the mouse cursor around on the screen the FPS dropped to about 10. When I let the mouse cursor be idle, the FPS was back to normal.

Apparently its some kind of problem with game itself, when you move mouse game recalculates what you see, maybe there is a bug with this.

I will make a bug report for this later today. Not sure to reproduce the bug outside this particular mission.

I will make a bug report for this later today. Not sure to reproduce the bug outside this particular mission.

Try to play again and see if same problem will appear again. If it will I'll try to disable few things on client-side and let you know to see if it will affect the problem.

I haven't actually played on the server yet, so I don't know if this is included but I guess it isn't, but is it possible to make a vehicle store?

I remember seeing this video by Tonic

In Arma3 some vehicles have parts that you can turn on or off. I know the Ifrit has doors that you can enable / disable and I figured it would be nice to sometimes have the Ifrit spawn without certain doors, but give you the ability to buy those missing doors at the vehicle store. The same goes for the littlebird, where you could buy benches (4 extra seats) or rockets / miniguns (No ability to have both at the same time), purchase vehicle ammo and add an IR camera (You can enable a screen at the copilot seat + add a camera. There is a working script for this somewhere on the forums, to make it a fully functional IR camera, but I can't find it right now).

Hi Adanteh. Vehicle randomization is already in game (for Offroads and ATVs). Vehicle store is planned as well as soon as there will be more vehicles in the game.

Edited by SaMatra

Thats awesome. I indeed noticed the randomization on some offroads I saw standing around when I joined. Won't really play it a lot though. My computer absolutely hates Stratis and I never get above 20FPS. Any chance you'll make an All in Arma version?

Great Job Sa-matra!

Really liking what you have done with it!

Aaaah, I've been wondering when I was gonna see this... taking a look right now :)

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Hmm.... Arma keeps crashing between the lobby and map, while loading. RPT lists lots of errors regarding bones. Got the thing zipped if needed.

OK, got it...

if started with -skipIntro and/or -noSplash (didn't test further, it's one or both of these), I don't get to the spawn selection menu and game crashes.

Edited by Ceh

Hey, looks awesome.

Could you set up another server with this version running on the DEV-build? Would be awesome.

Tried to play on that server yesterday but its using 0.56 or something.

EDIT: I could use one of mine to host that mission on the DEV-build. As a test-server or something :P

Just contact me on Steam or Teamspeak (ts3.general-physics.de) if you're interested.

Edited by Byter09

I seem to be unable to join the game today, Thursday 9. May, 17:54 central european time, not sure why. I can join the server, but when I joined the game the game seemed to have been stuck in some idle state (slow load?) with that Stratis island background image showing.

Edit: I have since managed to get into the game and play. :)

Edited by Treehugger

Treehugger, check 2 posts up ;)

Anyways, tried it a bit, and to my disappointment I see that performance is still a massive issue :(

SaMatra, I still get this mysterious FPS drop after some time playing. I did notice today that I get this FPS drop even when driving in a vehicle with keys only. The most noticable thing is ofc that the FPS drops when having the player menu open, while the FPS would return to normal when I let go of the mouse. It should be stressed that the FPS drop is sudden and going from a solid 50 to 10-50 FPS, even with few players on the server (less than 10 unless I am mistaken).

SaMatra, I would be happy to try help you and BIS in learning more about this odd FPS drop. If you guys have an idea, I will try that out. I wouldn't know where to start myself, other than maybe try some other settings for graphics and so on.

SaMatra, I still get this mysterious FPS drop after some time playing. I did notice today that I get this FPS drop even when driving in a vehicle with keys only. The most noticable thing is ofc that the FPS drops when having the player menu open, while the FPS would return to normal when I let go of the mouse. It should be stressed that the FPS drop is sudden and going from a solid 50 to 10-50 FPS, even with few players on the server (less than 10 unless I am mistaken).

SaMatra, I would be happy to try help you and BIS in learning more about this odd FPS drop. If you guys have an idea, I will try that out. I wouldn't know where to start myself, other than maybe try some other settings for graphics and so on.

Thanks for feedback, lets try to disable few things and see if it will affect your FPS. Test 5 with these changes will be available today or tomorrow (after next server restart).

Fantastic job Sa-Matra! Your version is the only version of Wasteland I play.

Bug Report:

#1 - Weapons w/ Attachments

When selling weapons with attachments that are "in-hand" the Gun Store calculates the value of the base weapon plus the attachments. However, when said weapon with attachment is sold from "ground" container the attachments aren't calculated into the price and the value is from the base weapon only. Unsure if the same applies for weapons with attachments sold from nearby containers or vehicles.

#2 - Duplicate Bags

I already had a backpack on my character when I came across a weapon cache that contained a different backpack. When I put the backpack from the cache into my backpack the one in the cache remained. I was able to continuously drag and drop the cached backpack into my own. It would create a separate backpack every time, and I was able to exceed my backpack's item restriction. I believe when I was finished my backpack said "430/250" in the inventory window. I was able to subsequently sell all of the duplicated backpacks at the Gun Store for a considerable amount of money. I did not have the opportunity to recreate this exploit so I'm not certain what parameters have to be met for it to happen.

Fantastic job Sa-Matra! Your version is the only version of Wasteland I play.

Bug Report:

#1 - Weapons w/ Attachments

When selling weapons with attachments that are "in-hand" the Gun Store calculates the value of the base weapon plus the attachments. However, when said weapon with attachment is sold from "ground" container the attachments aren't calculated into the price and the value is from the base weapon only. Unsure if the same applies for weapons with attachments sold from nearby containers or vehicles.

#2 - Duplicate Bags

I already had a backpack on my character when I came across a weapon cache that contained a different backpack. When I put the backpack from the cache into my backpack the one in the cache remained. I was able to continuously drag and drop the cached backpack into my own. It would create a separate backpack every time, and I was able to exceed my backpack's item restriction. I believe when I was finished my backpack said "430/250" in the inventory window. I was able to subsequently sell all of the duplicated backpacks at the Gun Store for a considerable amount of money. I did not have the opportunity to recreate this exploit so I'm not certain what parameters have to be met for it to happen.

Thanks for feedback.

#1 is technical limitation in the game, nothing I can do here unless developers will add more scripting commands: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5414 There is even a note that warns you about this in gun store.

#2 is general bug with ArmA 3 inventory that only BIS can fix, nothing I can do from mission standpoint.

Hello, a few observations:

Yesterday around midnight I believe, not more than 10ppl on the server, decent framerate. Just now, after Sol (i think) restarted, 5 or so ppl, FPS very very low. Interesting point: when looking/walking straight, FPS kind of stabilizes. As soon as I look around, it drops. Regardless of what is around or ahead.

Hi,

I have played the server (test 5) a couple of times over the last few days and it is awesome! great job!

However, I was playing today for 45minutes or so and then it froze up and booted everyone. i've been trying to join again and the server is not coming up in the server browser. checked gametracker and it says the server is up and alive, it also says i'm online in game at the moment.

not sure if its a potential bug or not, but thought you may like to know

Thanks,

Edited by drmordokai

Yeah guys server freezed, only admin was able to restart it through rdc. Server is up again now.

The ability to sell the items in vehicles needs some more restrictions. Right now when the server resets its a mad rush to tow 5 vehicles in a congo line to the gun shop, sell the stuff in them, get geared to the nines and leave. It turns the gun shop into a used car lot.

1) Enforce a towing limit of 1 vehicle.

2) Decrease the radius of vehicles that are available to sell from.

3) Only allow someone to sell from a vehicle they have locked.

4) Increase the time it takes to sell from vehicles.

5) Despawn empty vehicles at the gun shop as part of the server cleanup