Sign in to follow this  
kiory

Group, Side and Direct chat.

Hey guys, new here, long time lurker.

I've been wracking my brains for at least 2 hours now trying to get my character to talk in the above channels.

I've named the unit you play as "Team_1", I like to keep things simple, I have a trigger set up in an area that the player will not be able to avoid, so I know it's in the right spot, for conditions I have "this", which is most likely correct. On Act I have "Team_1 groupChat "blah blah"" (don't confuse the quotes here, they are in the right place), for some reason this works on global fine, but any of the other channels and the message won't appear, normally this would be fine, but considering I have several teams miles apart, they shouldn't be able to see each others messages.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm thinking that it's possibly something to do with creating a config file, but as a complete newbie I wouldn't know where to start....

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kiory

Hello Kiory

This is what you must do in order for it to work.

Make lets say a group of 4 people. Call the leader unit1

Now make a trigger that is set to true on mission start, so for example but the trigger set to search for bluefor in 50m radius and put a blufor inside.

Now on the activation put: unit1 setGroupId ["Delta"]

Now anyone in the group that talks in side chat will have the name delta. You can't give it to every individual person because it is set that the group leader would use that channel to talk to other group leader and the hq.

Now everything should work fine

For some reason I couldn't get vehical chat to work out so far but I'm sure Ill figur it out

hope it helped

frostwolf

I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me, but that solution doesn't seem to work, have you tested it yourself?

The problem I'm having is that the text is not coming up at all, I've even gone the route of creating chat.sqf and doing it that way, but still nothing, but again, it shows in global.

Edited by Kiory

I found I had to use the showChat command before any radio messages would show up. However, this worked only in the editor. I haven't tested it in multiplayer.

As an aside, I found that the Take On Helicopters radio stuff works. Check out the following commands from this page:

• customChat
  • customRadio
  • anything starting with "radioChannel"

That doesn't preclude you from using the old sideChat, groupChat etc.

Just tried showChat, doesn't seem to be working, unless I'm doing it wrong, just set up a trigger On Act "showChat True", that should work right?

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 ----------

Booya! YOU SEXY MAN!

Thanks for pointing me to the radio channel stuff, I've got it working through that!

You rock mate, thanks again!

Just a heads up, this is what i done to get it to work.

Placed a trigger down and in it's properties

Activation: Radio Alpha

on Act: showChat True; [side,"HQ"] sideChat "Hello World!"; //Where "Side" is, replace with "WEST" or "EAST" respectively.

show show a message saying: HQ "Hello World!"

I figured something out I guess. I tried to have some chat going in my script (init.sqf) which didn't work like for most of you.

My guess is, that the problem of the chat not showing is also somehow related to this http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147928-Loading-screen-longer-than-needed . I think the mission/script is already running, when you are still in the loading screen (maybe thats not something new)

However. Put this on top of your init.sqf and all chat will work from then on...

finishMissionInit;
showChat true;

It looks weird but works for me.

Thats why for example the chat through triggers etc works, because it only fires when the mission is really running.

EDIT: It seems like. This doesnt work when you "restart" the mission. Only if you preview out of the editor.

Edited by dga