Sign in to follow this  
samatra

ARMA2.RU -Wasteland Sandbox- servers thread

Samatra can you help out with the food icons script

Sent a response in PM.

v12 update released:

[New] M203 and GP-25 grenades are now in gun store
[New] Base defence proximity radar (buy in gun store)
[New] Now you can drop all your money at once

[Fixed] Time sync bug which sometimes skipped night completely
[Fixed] Main vehicle\static turrets now can be rearmed to original amount of ammo
[Fixed] Vehicle crew list HUD update bug fixed, now updates only when required

[Changed] Icons over head of OPFOR are bit brighter now
[Changed] You no longer get food, water and money on spawn if you lived less than 5 minutes

Hosting wasteland

If you wish to host wasteland on your server, we have following requirements:

Minimum hardware:

- CPU i7 2600

- RAM 8GB

Software:

- Windows Server 2008 R2.

- RDС with full access.

- We can use VPS on VirtualBox or similar software.

We will take installation on ourselves which will include our anti-cheat measuers as well. Thank you.

Beware, we are pretty decisive in selecting hosts. We mainly look for US hosts right now but can accept EU as well.

Edited by SaMatra

2 more EU server should be up soon (Utes + Chernarus)

Rly nice work man!Lots of good stuff...only one problem is this modification is not fully compatbile with JSRS sound mod wich all servers are using wich are using ur modifications (with using i mean accepting signatures).

Rly nice work man!Lots of good stuff...only one problem is this modification is not fully compatbile with JSRS sound mod wich all servers are using wich are using ur modifications (with using i mean accepting signatures).

Will check this problem out, thanks..

-----

We just opened two new EU (Germany) servers. Server is provided by [serious]EvilPutz

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

Okay guys there seems to be a lot of confusion about what is Wasteland. Let me try to explain it from my perspective as guy who developed Wasteland for past 4 months and keeps working on it.

Wasteland is idea and mission originally developed by TAW_Tonic. Me (Sa-Matra) and my friends discovered it mid-June and really liked it, even completely stopped playing DayZ in favor of Wasteland. However we thought that Tonic didn't update it enough and we decided to give him our input and even offer our development helps but didn't get any response. Updates were pretty rare and once we had almost whole week of server crashing 15 minutes after start which didn't let us play at all. This was a turning point and we decided to make our own version of Wasteland. At the time Tonic hadn't released Wasteland to public and there were no server-side available in public (code responsible for generating stuff, all side missions, etc.) so I started coding it from scratch. It took me about two weeks to make brand new server-side as well as I added many and many features and improvements into original Tonic's client-side. ("Rotate the object" was first thing that I added since I loved making bases) Our first public server (ARMA2.RU -Wasteland Sandbox-) opened in first days of August. From that time on popularity skyrocketed as i continued to add new features to Wasteland. Here are some of most important ones:

- "Rotate the object": being fan of base building this was one of the first features that I created. During further development I also created "Release (horizontal)" and "Lock object".

- We switched third team from Civilians to Independents and allowed Independent to kill each other making them free for all team (Tonic's had Civilians which were able to go rogue by pressing a button but team wasn't supposed to attack each other, it was 3 teams plus rogues with weird rule not to kill Civilians, we didn't like it at all)

- Icons over heads, it was a real breakthrough by letting players group up and see friendlies without checking into map's players list which was nearly suicidal

- Randomized gun store assortment and ability to sell entire crates with everything inside instead of one gun at the time. We also reformed prices and overall economy of the mission. Now gun store

was selling every existent gun in the game instead of static pre-defined list that Tonic had.

- Removal of gun store "No shooting" restriction which players always broke by running over other players with cars or shot them from outside of zone. We made it so that it displays on map if gun store is occupied or not. It also warns you if enemy enters gun store while you are in.

- Team respawn in towns. Another ground-breaking feature, no more random respawn and killing yourself until you spawn close to where you want, now BLUFOR and OPFOR were able to spawn with friendlies in towns as well as Indeps spawned in desired part of the map

- Anti-teamkill measures. It was a great addition to counter teamkillers and griefers, now players were able to punish or forgive their teamkiller and if teamkiller was punished twice, he got locked into Independent team until end of game.

Later Tonic released his server-side to the public and new Tonic's Wasteland servers started up. One most notable one was Marker's modification which included my icons over head which was included in his mission with my permission. As well as borrowing some changes from us, Marker also added few other great features like static machine guns spawning randomly around the map and more detailed info about mission which included time before mission starts and exact info what vehicles will appear on the mission.

Then 404games instead of making their own Wasteland they copy-pasted my entire mission without permission but since my server-side wasn't available they took it from Marker. Not only did they take all the features that I made without asking, they also didn't give me any credit what so ever and even more they refuse to credit me as author, coming up with stupid excuses that look like "we changed text and therefore its not your feature anymore" or quote to my request to credit me as author:

Changing some of the wording of the strings and dialog design to differ from yours but otherwise actual working code of our team-kill punish system is different, so no.

My code: http://pastie.org/5466129 Their code: http://pastie.org/5466131 Changing variable name from publicVar_teamkillersList to pvar_teamKillList makes it a complete rewrite according to 404games. List of their bullshit excuses\lies can be continued. Not only they stole my code and try to pass it as theirs, they also distributed it to everyone, claiming themselves as only developers after Tonic.

So to the conclusion of what current Wasteland is and who made it:

TAW_Tonic - original idea and mission

Sa-Matra - expanded Tonic's mission with big array of features

Marker - more improvements to Tonic's mission

The shame list consists of thieving 404games who completely don't respect other people's work and time spent on development and testing.

Why am I writing all this? I never really looked for recognition or something, the only thing I truly care about is making a great enjoyable mission which I did for past 4 months, I just wrote code and enjoyed playing it on our servers. The reason of my concern is that my code is being taken and perfidiously presented as their own. Thank you.

Edited by SaMatra
  • Like 1

hmm, i see its growing quite a popularity, maybe one day, it will come close to dayz by popularity :p. I still love dayz for its athmosphere, in wasteland, it feel not same depressing, fearful athmo, at namalsk especially, but it's still fun to play.

Okay guys there seems to be a lot of confusion about what is Wasteland. Let me try to explain it from my perspective as guy who developed Wasteland for past 4 months and keeps working on it......etc etc

Hey SaMatra,

Great work on your version of Wasteland. I play with a group of about 6 people who got bored of DayZ and all we play now is Wasteland. We usually switch between your servers and 404 depending on how easy it is to get into the server or if server is laggy etc. Having read what you said about the 404 guys, I'd be less inclined to play on their servers at all!

I usually try to get my group to play on your servers as I always felt they were run much better and with better features (no money glitch etc).

With all that said, I've a few suggestions/comments which I'd be interested to hear your feedback on:

• Health Symbol - why do you not have a symbol showing health?
  • Independents - Is there some way to improve the spawn mechanism so that we can spawn like Blufor/Opfor can? Maybe if you had a system whereby if two independents click an 'accept spawn' button or something, they could always spawn on each other in a town (assuming no enemies are there etc). My team like playing as independent as sometimes being in Blufor or Opfor you can get people who don't stop talking in VON all the time or taking your vehicle etc
  • Choppers - One of the .RU servers I played on recently had a ridiculous amount of choppers on it. I think it's better if there is a smaller number of them as I've seen some Russians just constantly have 3 or so choppers and they tow every objective vehicle away to Debug etc.
  • Speaking of choppers...I don't think there's a need for the one with missiles, it's better when a chopper has to have other people with them and a mini-gun that takes a little bit of skill to aim, rather than one guy in a chopper spamming missiles around the place
  • I've heard that towing more than 3 vehicles causes the server to lag..is there anyway to restrict the amount of vehicles that can be towed? I think that there is rarely a need to tow more than one or two vehicles really.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

• Health Symbol - why do you not have a symbol showing health?
  • Independents - Is there some way to improve the spawn mechanism so that we can spawn like Blufor/Opfor can? Maybe if you had a system whereby if two independents click an 'accept spawn' button or something, they could always spawn on each other in a town (assuming no enemies are there etc). My team like playing as independent as sometimes being in Blufor or Opfor you can get people who don't stop talking in VON all the time or taking your vehicle etc
  • Choppers - One of the .RU servers I played on recently had a ridiculous amount of choppers on it. I think it's better if there is a smaller number of them as I've seen some Russians just constantly have 3 or so choppers and they tow every objective vehicle away to Debug etc.
  • Speaking of choppers...I don't think there's a need for the one with missiles, it's better when a chopper has to have other people with them and a mini-gun that takes a little bit of skill to aim, rather than one guy in a chopper spamming missiles around the place
  • I've heard that towing more than 3 vehicles causes the server to lag..is there anyway to restrict the amount of vehicles that can be towed? I think that there is rarely a need to tow more than one or two vehicles really.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Thanks for your comments. Here are the answers:

- We don't want to add "health symbol" with numerical display since it doesn't really show your real health and doesn't takes into account damage of limbs, body, head, etc which when damaged enough cause your death. We will likely make it with something like textual status and maybe only on player menu (less crap on the screen is always better).

- Next version (v13) will address Independents, including new spawn system for them.

- Yeah, choppers appear pretty often but I can't say that its too much. Speaking of outside of map zones we have an idea how to handle this as well which will force you to make bases only inside map.

- Missile choppers are much more rare than transport ones. Mi-24 is the only attack helicopter we have in the mission and it spawns very rarely (usually never during entire game) for the reason because it can carry troops. Another idea we had is that gun store starts to sell AA launchers as soon as one of the teams gets chopper with missiles.

- It is already addressed on our server and its impossible to create lag by towing things.

Thanks for getting back SaMatra!

That sounds good, especially glad to hear you're working on the independent's spawn system!

How far away do you think roughly the next update is?

Again, keep up the great work!

Before SaMatra continues his libelous slew, let me point a few things out:

I originally came to wasteland and for the most part, enjoyed it. After playing for a while, I thought it would be nice to host our own due to saMatra's server having terrible desync and ping issues (mostly due to him trying to cater for the entire global player base). After looking around for the mission file, tonic's was the first I came by but it was missing a few critical things. Realising that SaMatra had some of these, I private messaged him and asked if I could host his mission file, to which he said it was not public. I then made contact with another wasteland hoster and coder (MarKeR) and we worked together to make a version for the public (which he fully supports along with everyone else who hosts our mission).

We appreciate that Wasteland is not any 1 persons creation and only ever wanted it to be open for everyone to play and not stifled to a small selection of servers hosted outside the EU.

So here is our current build which is a bit messy.

Current (out-of-date)

Here is the new version we have been working on from the ground up.

New Version

As you can see, we're being completely transparent about our code. Feel free to browse through and offer feedback. We haven't a bad word to say about anyone who uses our code without permission. When you restrict knowledge and openness, the community suffers.

Before SaMatra continues his libelous slew

And you try to accuse me of lying when you downright stole my code and refused to credit me as author even though (as you pointed out yourself) I did not allow you to use my mission\code in the first place? Even more, you claim yourself as author of my code. No matter how much you try to cover yourself with words like "open" or "community" it does not justifies what you did and do not want to fix, you keep going further and further.

Speaking of your "from the ground up" version, looking through code and here you 404games go again, copy-pasting my code symbol by symbol and stamping your copyrights over it. No wonder.

Edited by SaMatra

Speaking of your "from the ground up" version, looking through code and here you 404games go again, copy-pasting my code symbol by symbol and stamping your copyrights over it. No wonder.

There are 1-2 small amounts of your code that we are using as placeholders in the UNFINISHED rebuild. Off the top of my head it's parts of the string table and player icons (originally Xeno's). Please cite your slanderous statements that you make in regards to alleged code theft.

On a general note: Again you completely miss the point. It appears that you want to claim wasteland as your own and don't want to give back to the community or allow the mod to grow. You are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes and do a DayZ with Wasteland.

Because of the way that 404games acts, copying the code and removing the credits, I'm going to "vote with my feet" and play on 404games Wasteland servers never again. I've found Sa-Matra as very nice and helpful person, so I want to support him. I hope that others will do this too and support the guy that has actually created this wonderful mission.

Because of the way that 404games acts, copying the code and removing the credits, I'm going to "vote with my feet" and play on 404games Wasteland servers never again. I've found Sa-Matra as very nice and helpful person, so I want to support him. I hope that others will do this too and support the guy that has actually created this wonderful mission.

We've credited SaMatra for code of his that's being used on our live version.

Again please cite your statements. Ignorance is no excuse.

Off the top of my head it's parts of the string table and player icons (originally Xeno's).

Originally Xeno's? Did you bother to check it? Of course you didn't, I marked config as "Thanks to Xeno" since I studied his code as example of feature implementation before writing my own, It doesn't have a line of Xeno's code. Again, you just take things without thinking that other people spent their time developing them, especially when you was specifically told not to take them.

On a general note: Again you completely miss the point. It appears that you want to claim wasteland as your own and don't want to give back to the community or allow the mod to grow. You are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes and do a DayZ with Wasteland.

No matter what you want yourself to believe, you stole my code and keep evading the question about it.

No matter what you want yourself to believe, you stole my code and keep evading the question about it.

What are you on about? We're not evading anything... I don't normally stoop to these levels, but is your English so poor that you can not read what is blatantly in front of you?

See post #41 for full listing of our code. We're not hiding anything and openly admit that we're small amounts of your code and that we've credited such items to you appropriately.

What are you on about? We're not evading anything... I don't normally stoop to these levels, but is your English so poor that you can not read what is blatantly in front of you?

Apparently you cannot yourself. Please be so kind to re-read my previous posts and my claims to 404games.

So we started running our mission it was doing well we launched Two extra servers and then we got maliciously attacked for the whole day had to restart the servers every 2 - 4 hours and we were wondering what it was until one of SaMatra's admins got caught in our Remote Execute.

So do you want to explain what you and your other admins were doing on our server maliciously attacking it ?? Under the names MoveAlong(SaMatra) and BeTePoK.

Rather than coming to us and talking about it, you A) Maliciously attack our servers, then B) Launch a smear campaign on the forums.

Sources:

http://pastebin.com/Yif4FZAm

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?142373-Wasteland-server-lag-hacker-problems

Apparently you cannot yourself. Please be so kind to re-read my previous posts and my claims to 404games.

I give up replying to you; you're clearly blinded by an arguably unfounded hatred towards us.

When you grow up, we can talk.