Sign in to follow this  
kylania

Take On: Hinds!

I have to say that the tanks are just an overkill for me, i don't know why the russians had to build Tunguskas and Shilkas when they had these 12.7 mm Dshk on their tanks xD

Hind cabin and rotor can survive 12mm hit, but not the tail and the engines. You can be also hit by tank main gun (while hovering) or AA heat seeking rocket (soldiers with IGLA). Notice the sounds of your Warning Reciever - one is for "laser" detection (i.e. by tanks), other for "rocket" launch (use flares). Your own targeting system also provides specific sound. Keep safe distance whenever possible and choose aproach route into "hot zone" carefully. You can evade missiles and gunfire by flares and wise flight maneuvering.

Hey all,

After watching this

I got the idea that the display within the chopper's cockpit is displaying an actual Display Resource?

It seems like a static texture, but could I be wrong and some kind of Render To Texture technique was implemented to support dialogue interfaces?

Thanks,

_neo_

Is Picture-in-Picture enabled in your Video Options? This display is showing real-time Thermal Imagery from the gunner turret if enabled. Looks pretty sweet when you're taking out a tank from about a kilometer away!

The Hind in that video does not have MFDs, only the SuperHind does.

In the TKOH engine's Picture-in-Picture, is it only possible to show another "camera" / view of the in-game action? Or could someone script for example a dialog there, showing some text (e.g. not a dialog that comes on top of everything, but dialog that is rendered in PIP, as part of the 3D world)?

HI,

The visual detection distance seems a bit low, IE a visual tank detection(without zooming) is 1KM, i think 4/5 km should be better.

Is it something i can change in the graphic options?

And how to get rid of:

- the cheating radar on the up left corner

- the red crosses and green square (target detection and lock)

They kill the immersion (too much arcade) and the mi-24 has no such things, no radar, no laser warning recever ....

Thx

Edit : I play in expert mode and have all aids deactivate, but i can't get rid of the radar, red cross....

Edited by Scorlhov

Cool, many thanks PVPscene, i will try that.

But it would be good if it was an ingame option too.

Is the Steam version coming any time soon and, if not, will the Sprocket version of Hind work with the Steam version of ToH?

Edited by BangTail

Wow, thanks mate - I could have sworn that wasn't there 10 minutes ago :D

Edit: It must have just been added as there is still no 'buy' button but I'm sure that will appear forthwith.

Edited by BangTail

Cool, many thanks PVPscene, i will try that.

But it would be good if it was an ingame option too.

Vehicles are tied into the object draw distance, I am able to target and destroy them many miles and not just Ks away.

I have 20k view and 12k object draw settings, only for the South Asia map mind or my PC would go on fire.

@Bangtail: I think someone already has it working with the Steam retail, it is just treated as an Addon.

Ahh ok, that's good to know, but it does seem to have appeared on Steam now, the inability to actually purchase it notwithstanding ;)

Speaking about technology: I am curious to know how the targeting looks like. Are there improvements in this field?

Vehicles are tied into the object draw distance,
Ok thx, didn't know that. Will try the same setting as yours.

Weapons are changed by default with "F" key like in arma. Is it possible that you also flew "unarmed" variant, that has only main gun.

From the view of the pilot the AI gunner targeting is simillar to arma. Most of the "improved targeting" system is noticable if you play as a gunner in versions that have a gun turret. Try the MP deathmatch mission.

Yes, you're correct but unfortunally you don't ANY indication or feedback on which weapon is selected or will be selected when you press the "F" key and have "manual fire" selected (at least when playing in Expert mode). It would be a great idea to get this feedback (like happens in ArmA2 is good enough for me). Currently I have to "cancel manual fire" almost everytime I change weapon in order to know for sure which weapon I have selected.

Nice, how much time took you to play the 3 SP missions so you have experienced all its generic variants ? Because those missions ARE GENERIC. Each time you play one of the 3 types (the fourth mission is just random selection from those 3), the route, Hind armament+skin, and targets are generated different.

I confirm that sometimes the generator offers a lot of tanks, which might be a challenge in case you have just some P version of Hind with S13 rockets. We will tweek the settings for each mission type.

Despite those 3 missions have some sort of randomization their objectives are ALWAYS the SAME! Plus you always either get a Mi-24P or a Mi-24V variant that only has 2 rockets pods (and each of these pods only have 5 rockets). How about having the Mi-24V with 4 rockets pods (S-80 if I'm not mistaken)?? Or better yet, how about having the possibility to choose the Hind variant or even better the ability to choose weapons!

Finally, I want to say that I completly agree with NeoJD when he says that it's much more fun to play with the Mi-24 Hind in ArmA2 than it is in ToH!! And this says a LOT!!

And one thing for me - the gunsight is too mutch Yellow. Cant see a target.

Where is this file? I can do more transparent texture.

Yes, you're correct but unfortunally you don't ANY indication or feedback on which weapon is selected or will be selected when you press the "F" key and have "manual fire" selected (at least when playing in Expert mode). It would be a great idea to get this feedback (like happens in ArmA2 is good enough for me). Currently I have to "cancel manual fire" almost everytime I change weapon in order to know for sure which weapon I have selected.

Noticed to same.

Edited by _YoYo_

11 quid, money well spent I though.

The Insurgents are probably left overs from the Takistan regime (Iraq based regime in the ARMAverse) so a lot of T-72s are to be expected.

Are you sugesting that insurgents equiped with T-72s is something realistic?? Worse even, are you sugesting that insurgents equiped with LOTS of T-72s is something realistic???

Don't get me wrong, but you definitly need a reality check very fast or probably you don't live on planet Earth that's for sure! Even a T-55 (or a T-34) is something unrealistic for an insurgent force. The "best" and heaviest vehicle that an insurgent can afford and deploy is technicals/pickups or trucks armed with all sorts of machine guns or at best mounted with Zu-23-2 cannon.

So those Challenges/missions that we have in Hind would be much more realistic if the enemy tanks (T-72, T-55 and T-34) were replaced by armed technicals/pickups and trucks with Zu-23-2 and at the same time they would still be hard and thrilling!

Are you sugesting that insurgents equiped with T-72s is something realistic?? Worse even, are you sugesting that insurgents equiped with LOTS of T-72s is something realistic???

Don't get me wrong, but you definitly need a reality check very fast or probably you don't live on planet Earth that's for sure! Even a T-55 (or a T-34) is something unrealistic for an insurgent force. The "best" and heaviest vehicle that an insurgent can afford and deploy is technicals/pickups or trucks armed with all sorts of machine guns or at best mounted with Zu-23-2 cannon.

So those Challenges/missions that we have in Hind would be much more realistic if the enemy tanks (T-72, T-55 and T-34) were replaced by armed technicals/pickups and trucks with Zu-23-2 and at the same time they would still be hard and thrilling!

Well, there is always the editor if you wanted to make something more realistic. Or, outline a scenario you would like to see, stick it in the Addons Request Thread and I will see what I can come up with over the next few days.

The challenges provided are pretty much a showcase of the hind and aimed at getting us used to flying her. The editor (and some scripting) is where the serious action will be!

Speaking about technology: I am curious to know how the targeting looks like. Are there improvements in this field?

From the pilots point of view targeting is exactly the same as in Arma 2. Tab to select targets; the same lock on tone and stupid green squares around the the selected target. The only difference is that there is a red cross that seems to show where the gunner is aiming. To be honest I'm very disappointed that no real change has been made from Arma. I can't believe that you still have to select manual fire to fire rockets! For me it is exactly like flying the hind in Arma 2 with the exception of an improved flight model. I wasn't expecting DCS black shark level fidelity, but I was expecting improvements over Arma 2.

Also for some inexplicable reason the Hind pilots in the missions I've played so far wear American uniforms and have American accents.

Edited by stun

stun check the manual and try the gunner seat. Also the new config values should allow a better locking system to be made.

stun check the manual and try the gunner seat. Also the new config values should allow a better locking system to be made.

Perhaps, but from the pilot seat it looks exactly the same to me - and frankly that's the seat I'm going to be in. Am i missing something? From the gunners seat the missiles seem to home in in pretty much the same way they did with the TOWs in A2. The main issue I have is with the unrealistic green boxes around targets and the lack of a collimator gun sight; also the lack of yaw indicator on cockpit instruments, the use of A2 style waypoints rather than a proper navigation system and the inclusion of the Arma 2 radar instead of a working radar warning receiver are a bit of downer.

I just hope mando is going to put the new config values to good use.

Also I was wondering what the point of aquiring a lock for a SACLOS missile is if it isn't ground stabilised, or is this intended to be used with other types of missiles in the future?

Edited by stun

Sorry for being a total noob, but what does AIO stand for?

When will be the Steam version become purchaseable?

Edited by SmukY

Sorry for being a total noob, but what does AIO stand for?

It's the All In One config. Basically it is a dump of the whole config file at a specific point. Very, very, very useful.