Sign in to follow this  
Zedrein

Military SciFi Projects Thread

Hehe ^^ well, about my idea of mechs. some would require walking animations which i know is hard and Roger Johnson is working on it with his Zaku and Gundam. but i also plan on having mechs that dont necessarily "walk" all the time or at all. and this may be easier to add then walking. what i am talking about are mechs that hover and boost from place to place but when they stop they land on the ground until they move again which they will hover then boost off. would this be easier to do then making them All walk?

Wait what Gundam?? I only have a Zaku in the works at the moment...And after that Im thinking about a Typ 61 tank.

Here a nice picture with both a Zaku and a Typ 61:

Type-61-uc-hardgraph.jpg

About the walking animation: It depends what you want. If you settle with the minimalistic style of the OFP-mechs, I imagine it would be more easy then a "switching" type.

" ...then one day woosh with our heat ray, woosh them running and dying "

i could see an alien invasion mod where we get to steal the alien walking machines, as very satisfying.

Oh I can soooo relate. I also miss the days when not every news on the big addon pages was about another "Special Forces Reskin". :D

Currently Im busy with my Panzer III & IV, but after that I also want to go SciFi :yay:

8fs2me25.jpg

Edited by Bullock

cool the mech suit from Avatar ^^ yeah i understand what you said about the addon page lol i never see anything but the same types of addons over and over. dont get me wrong i like all of those addons and thank the people that make them but we need some different? in the addons. im all up for helping anyone with modeling for a scifi addon or mod. a few of us should throw a team together and get to work.

a few of us should throw a team together and get to work.

Yeah I think this thread is a nice start for everyone who is sick of "I want the M4A1 93/XYZ-ACOG-BOB-GRGGLLL-Variant" and "Is it ACE compatible?????" :D

By the way, if Im not able to get the Zakus legs animated, I will put it on hold on concentrate on the tanks instead.

I started on a "Magella Attack Tank", only problem I encountered so far is that they look quite differently in the Anime and the CGI series: http://s7.directupload.net/images/100721/te99lpq3.jpg

So mine is a mixture of both. I also took some liberties on details like the soviet-style fuel tanks on the back.

8bzahubv.jpg

fmrdfyrx.jpg

Edited by Roger Johnson

Reminds me of the old Ontos

Was that too a failed and flawed design? :D

Whats very nice about the "Gundam"-series (at least the realistic parts) is that they take a very realistic approach on the typical SciFi-themes like mechs and spaceships. Mechs only came to be because they developed a new kind of sensor jammer that effectivly eliminated warfare on long distances, Spaceships still need to be launched with huge rockets and boosters, etc.).

The "Magella Attack Tank" is another nice example, because it looks like a typical SciFi-tank that would make no sense in real life, but in fact, neither does it in the series. It was developed by a space-based nation that had no experience with land-based combat. They thought it would be a good idea to let the turret of the tank double as a detachable space-fighter, so if the tank is destroyed the gunner can fly of in its fighter and continue to fight.

Well and just like in real life it would, this concept absolutly failed. The "Magellas" were only usable as better assault guns, and I think only once in the series did the fighter-detachment-process actually work. And even then, the fuel capacity only let that thing fly for about two minutes.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :mad::mad::mad:

gh2c7tyn.jpg

Allright, enough stupid errors for today, Im taking a break :rolleyes:

does anybody want stargate stuff?? :)

No Stargate sucks and is boring its....OF COURSE WE WANT STARGATE :banana:

No I want a reskin of the Andalusian Special Forces or some other country no one cares about and also can you make a M16A2 early-late-pre-after-production-model and can you....

....please please please add some Stargate units to Armed Assault :D

Edited by Roger Johnson

No Stargate sucks and is boring its....OF COURSE WE WANT STARGATE :banana:

then watch the forum on my signature... there is a crapload of stuff already released. =)

By the way, if Im not able to get the Zakus legs animated, I will put it on hold on concentrate on the tanks instead.

I started on a "Magella Attack Tank", only problem I encountered so far is that they look quite differently in the Anime and the CGI series: http://s7.directupload.net/images/100721/te99lpq3.jpg

So mine is a mixture of both. I also took some liberties on details like the soviet-style fuel tanks on the back.

I would've gone with the MS IGLOO style, since the later incarnations of the UC universe tend towards more realistic designs.

For humanoid mechs, would it not be possible to simply use the existing human skeleton + animations, and just scale everything up 10x?

Tobie - I want to download your Stargate addons really bad, but a lot of them require a lot of extra stuff to work. Isn't there anyway you could just cut it down for convenience to where you just have to download like 2 pbo's?

I would like to see another Command and Conquer mod for ARMA since Tiberian Sun Genesis went over to Crysis War, but I want to it based around the First Tiberian War or the Red Alert Series.

Edited by (2142)Gen.Reaper

@ Raserisk

Tobi isn't apart of the Stargate Mod team, he is only a fan. If you want to use the stargate mod then your're going to have to suck it up and download all of the requirements. The Mod team may condense everything into one large addon when they officially release it, but at this point most of the stuff released so far is in Alpha/Beta phase, so they see no point in converting it into one large mod yet.

I think I can talk for the developers on the Stargate mod.

Unlike mods like ACE, PR, etc the Stargate mod team isn't really a tight knit group, the developers are more freelance sharing a common goal.

Eventually we will create a mod pack (probably when the ArmA II Stargate's are released) which will include a variety of units, vehicles, missions etc and when we do we'll make sure there all balanced out before hand.

In light of the release of the films "Skyline" and soon "World Invasion: Battle L.A" I would love to see an alien invasion mod within the ArmA 2 & OA games. The simple premise being an alien invasion force has to battle a modern military, perhaps a U.N unit (so that both BLUFOR and OPFOR units can be used) in a CTI mission. I think it would be incredible. I always prefer to have two opposing sides which are different to each other. Ones that fight with different weaponry and tactics. I think there is a solid player base for ArmA 2 who would respond to the idea quite positively. I'm no scripter/programmer but I'd like to make some sort of mod to be played online. Maybe others want to get together with me and thrash out some ideas?

In regards for inspiration. See this video:

ArmA 2 Alien Invasion

The "Independence Day" one is hilarious but well made nonetheless:

Edited by [General Nuisance]

hehe, you have no idea how many sci-fi things I've requested, but few ever get made. I would love to see more sci-fi stuff getting released including an alien invasion. Maybe some War of the Worlds stuff.

Damned this sound is scary!

Maybe a

<still has nightmares about first day on Hellfire Peninsula> How the hell does a 5 story giant robot manage to sneak up behind you?!?

Maybe some Dr. Who stuff? You'd need a T.A.R.D.I.S. a Dr. Who (Tom Baker) unit, a K-9 unit and maybe some Daleks on the OpFor, or maybe Cybermen.

There's an incredible amount of sci-fi stuff out there that could make it's way into ArmA 2. Not just sci-fi but animé as well.

^_^,v,,

I have something on the pipe, but will take a while till will get in A2 due to license thesis. (note: everything is be based on my imagination and will not be made based on existing movies, games or other stuff)

PS: when it comes to SCI FI, your got so much freedom to let your mind go wild.. unfortunately most of the requests are for objects that have already been thought out by someone else...pity. even the ones who don't know how to create an addon can sketch/think over some stuff by themselves. There is plenty of inspiration on the web to have a start point for your own designs