Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Jungle Wars: Island of Lingor

Darwars comes to dayz ? ,

Make sure you get every penny they earned by commercially tying your hard work into there sales pitch icebreaker,

It's time people really did pay attention when they are told there is no such thing as a free lunch .

Time this DayZ monster is professionally handled ,before addons become the greater part of the mod than the code or it will all end in tears .

I just wanted to pop my head above the parapet so to say :)

I have been working on getting DayZ's code running as a mission on top of Mondkalbs amazing Celle 2. I have contacted him about this directly as well. Myself I am not a hosting company and won't be doing this for any commercial incentive (not that I am suggesting anyone else is or wanting to enter that debate). I have also intended to use monkalb's original bisign files the whole time too and only call his map / addons via the mission file. I do this through purely through my passion for gaming and that is all (again not suggesting likewise anyone else's motives). Full credit is shown in the loadup screen to him and his website. When I have spoken on reddit about it I have been quite open about it being his map.

So mondklab, hopefully you got my email, but if not and you come here first, please PM me to discuss should you wish or need to.

Edited by shinkicker

The guy from ViLayer is simply putting out more content for us all to enjoy for free.

Not necessary Vilayer, have not read the Copyright included with Icebreakr's islands which is as readme files states, work is not allowed to be used for military training, non-Arma2 use or commercial profit. So by making money from using Icebreakrs Islands they are braking copyright, thats the issue here.

I dont think that Icebreakr need a lawyer from this forum to solve this issue. Everyone has an opinion I say let Ice and the people that used his content to find a solution.

Not necessary Vilayer, have not read the Copyright included with Icebreakr's islands which is as readme files states, work is not allowed to be used for military training, non-Arma2 use or commercial profit. So by making money from using Icebreakrs Islands they are braking copyright, thats the issue here.

The problem with this argument is that Vilayer could simply say they aren't using the islands for commercial profit. They are merely doing the work of copying files over to each server so their customers don't have to do it.

I think the best solution here would be for Vilayer to not advertise specific community made addons, but rather say something along the lines of them providing a service in which they will install mods for their costumers.

Law is a shitty shit piece of work, we can all see this through the recent Apple doings in the business world. People can spin shit whatever way they want to get what they want.

Live, learn and move on..

Its good that they can and do talk, to sort it out, its their business, not ours. So many things in life just ain’t that easy to sort out…

Thanks for your work @icebreaker, your mods/addons are all quality work as are most all of the ones available within this community.

Its all very much appreciated..

Just going to warn any potential Vilayer customers to take a moment and look up how other customers are regularly treated by them.

reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/11cyzk/so_i_wanted_to_host_a_takistan_map_cancelled_my

This is just one example out of many. Make sure you know the risks of using this provider before you make your decision, because if things go wrong they have no intention to help you or refund you.

I think what happened over the last few pages in this thread clearly illustrate their business ethics. F**k over anyone for profit, but if you're called out on it and it'll possibly mean you'll make less, only then do they apologize and try to make things right.

You aren't Icebreakr and if they f**k you over they will have no reason to make it right, because you wont be able to harm them by calling it out.

Everyone deserve to have all information on the table before you place your order for a server, so take this as a warning.

Also, icebreakr, great map. Only really played Lingor and not so much in dayz so the parts I've seen of it are the parts I've come across in missions, but I think it looks absolutely amazing.

Just going to warn any potential Vilayer customers to take a moment and look up how other customers are regularly treated by them.

reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/11cyzk/so_i_wanted_to_host_a_takistan_map_cancelled_my

This is just one example out of many. Make sure you know the risks of using this provider before you make your decision, because if things go wrong they have no intention to help you or refund you.

I think what happened over the last few pages in this thread clearly illustrate their business ethics. F**k over anyone for profit, but if you're called out on it and it'll possibly mean you'll make less, only then do they apologize and try to make things right.

You aren't Icebreakr and if they f**k you over they will have no reason to make it right, because you wont be able to harm them by calling it out.

Everyone deserve to have all information on the table before you place your order for a server, so take this as a warning.

Also, icebreakr, great map. Only really played Lingor and not so much in dayz so the parts I've seen of it are the parts I've come across in missions, but I think it looks absolutely amazing.

I would not say that is entirely accurate. When it comes to dealing on a large level for anything, web hosting included, and you are dealing with a population this large, you will always have bad encounters with some people. It would be physically impossible to please absolutely everyone out there. Vilayer is no different, they try their best and please as many of their customers as they possible can. Some customers are just plain ignorant. Just because you can find links to their bad service that one or two people started (<0.1% of their customer base) doesn't mean anything. You can find just as much hate forums for Mr. Rooter Plumbing, Ikea, McDonald's or any other larger company that is actually doing a great job. Mr. Rooter Plumbing is part of the Dywer group and is one of the most successful franchises around for plumbing, but spite that 99% of its customers are happy, you will still find someone who says they were ripped off or over charged. That is the nature of the game. The problem is that the people who are pleased with the service don't start threads for each thing they are happy about. If that were to happen, you would not be able to Google the bad stuff, or the good results would flood your screen. People need to stop trash talking what they know nothing about. Vilayer and Icebreakr can deal with this between themselves, and I am sure they do not require the opinions of others on how to do it. Icebreakr does amazing work and it is loved by any gamer who plays on it. Vilayer offeres a good service at a great price, with good connections, and has from what I hear an very good IT team. They have always been able to answer questions from the server renters that I have played with.

I don't even want to know how many of those hundreds of dayz lingor videos on youtube are monetarized.

It's always nice to see that some parasites try to make money out of stuff others have made for free.

Xeno

Re-signing any addon is completely reasonable and even recommended to do by server admins.

It is the only way to make sure to keep abusers, cheaters and old versions out.

Re-signing any addon is completely reasonable and even recommended to do by server admins.

It is the only way to make sure to keep abusers, cheaters and old versions out.

Then please make sure none of my addons are on your server. I refuse to allow you to do it and it is in direct violation of my EULA.

Also if anyone knows of anybody doing this to any PRACS addon PLEASE inform me so i can take appropriate actions.

signatures aren't part of Your Intellectual Property ...

so re-signing files can't be controlled by You as signatures are engine's security and usability feature

there is difference between taking someone work and clearly 'making profit off it' or/and modifing the files itself (including license removal)

versus just resigning unmodified pbo's with new signature key and keeping the credits due and given ...

note: while You may request your original keys to be included, the admin can generate and add his own / server's ...

Edited by Dwarden

so re-signing files can't be controlled by You as signatures are engine's security and usability feature

there is difference between taking someone work and clearly 'making profit off it' or/and modifing the files itself (including license removal)

versus just resigning unmodified pbo's with new signature key and keeping the credits due and given ...

note: while You may request your original keys to be included, the admin can generate and add his own / server's ...

My EULA expressly forbids such activity. Therefore i do not want my content used on servers that require such modifying of my files. It is simple as that.

I find that incredulous in the context of this thread, you Sir have just single handedly Pissed on every addon maker that ever made as much as a video for Bohemia interactive games.

Never not even in an EA or codemasters statement have i seen such a cold hearted ill thought statement by a representative of a software house.

Please read your own Wiki and your own CEO `s interpretation of who and what dictates the IP ownership of Usermade content regardless of the tools used to make it.

your statement reminds me of Ratners speech, i only pray yours does not have the same effect .

In summary : Whilst your pay packet may guide you to stop any Disaffecting posts towards DaYZ Income potential etc , you do still owe your community respect , you IMO have shown NIL .

Guys do some research first what sign files are before you make a fool of yourself in public.

I suggest you read , the context in which they keys are being resinged ,rather than being ignorant and generalising it to a simple re sign.

this is not about a server making its own keys for security is it ?

assign a key to an usigned addon maybe but what reason for a singed upto date addon ?

Edited by Thromp

I suggest you read , the context in which they keys are being resinged ,rather than being ignorant and generalising it to a simple re sign.

this is not about a server making its own keys for security is it ?

assign a key to an usigned addon maybe but what reason for a singed upto date addon ?

It is actually purely about security. An addon maker of a popular mod can sign any content he wants and use it on a server that has that key allowed.

So if an admin really wants a secure server, they re-sign it using their own key and distribute that to their community.

It is actually purely about security. An addon maker of a popular mod can sign any content he wants and use it on a server that has that key allowed.

So if an admin really wants a secure server, they re-sign it using their own key and distribute that to their community.

Care to re assess that ?

An addon maker has signed his mod , there is no need to re sign it , re signing a mod does not make it more secure at all , it simply excludes and that is not what addon makers are here for,

When you download an addon it states no modification and that's how it should be , no changing anything .

Is this still the Jungle Wars: Island of Lingor thread? Just asking before other people may jump on the bandwagon instead of asking their question or voice their personal fears in a extra thread. Keep threads clean and tidy. :)

Another issue with the way the mod has been distributed is that it prevents people from using both single player (or any multiplayer mission that sits side by side with Panthera) and DayZ Commander (which as far as I know is the only method to get the viLayer Panthera DayZ). You need to either fiddle around a fair bit or just keep two copies of Panthera around.

Care to re assess that ?

An addon maker has signed his mod , there is no need to re sign it , re signing a mod does not make it more secure at all , it simply excludes and that is not what addon makers are here for,

When you download an addon it states no modification and that's how it should be , no changing anything .

More than that. Resigning a mod means that the customers of such a supplier can ONLY get it from that supplier, thereby adding perceived value to the supplier and locking the customer into their network.

I'll re-release new version of my islands soon and will have a new EULA that will prohibit any changes to the supplied .bisign signed files or use of my addon with 3rd party keys. That includes sixupdater.

I would also like to inform you that matters have been fully resolved between Vilayer LTD and me. There are still a couple of sites out there that we using islands in their "adverts" and even order forms. Examples:

http://www.dayz.st/ (order now button)

and

http://hfbservers.com/index.php/dayz

... and I'm not happy about this!

As I've said, all matters with Vilayer LTD have already been resolved.

Edited by IceBreakr

I'll re-release new version of my islands soon and will have a new EULA that will prohibit any changes to the supplied .bisign signed files or use of my addon with 3rd party keys. That includes sixupdater.

I would also like to inform you that matters have been fully resolved between Vilayer LTD and me. There are still a couple of sites out there that we using islands in their "adverts" and even order forms. Examples:

http://www.dayz.st/ (order now button)

and

http://hfbservers.com/index.php/dayz

Hi IceBreakr,

I was wondering if you had a chance to read the PM I sent you?

dayz.st (order now button)

and

hfbservers

I'm the owner of DayZ.ST, trying to get in touch with you via private message but apparently I need two posts, so here is one..