wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

Hi all, I have bought & downloaded ArmaX & am trying to integrate Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead into Arma 2: Combined Operations. I installed Arma2 first then tried to install Arma2 OA into the Arma2 directory, at this location. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2. It seems doing this it has created a second bohemia Int file with Arma OA files within the Arma2 file. When I try running both the games, they haven't seemed to have integrated. Can you tell me the exact location to install Arma OA to integrate them both? I guess I'll have to uninstall Arma OA & install at correct location as well. Also haven't installed PMC or BAF yet, do I just let the installer decide where they are installed to? Cheers for your help.

For example: install arma 2 to:

c:\arma2 then install OA in the same path.

After installation of OA in c:\arma2 you will have new folder Expantion there are files from OA and now you have arma 2 co. On end install baf and pmc and patch the game to v1.59 if your version is lower.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Sorry "expansion" not "expantion" :)

Cheers thanks tom3kb, its all good now. I'm stoked. For around $50 you get the whole series of all these quality games. I'll be playing these for a long time.I think it's an absolute bargain. Thanks again for your help.

Stupid question but I was playing with a friend and was using a tws scope and was not able to see through glass, is this normal for everyone?

in CTI or warfare game modes you can create an aircraft factory that makes helis at your base. this does not seem to make actual fixed-wing aircraft in any way whatsoever, no matter where you put it. My question is, can you get fixed wing aircraft in the cti or warfare game modes at all? and if so, how? it would depress me to no end if i could not crash a c-130 into my friend's T-55 or actually make a bombing run with an a-10.

any answer would be greatly appreciated.

I have ArmA2 and OA patched to, I assume, well, it says, 1.50. I have been having problems with bugs, like the one where I switch out a weapon, like an AK to an M4 or such, but I have the weapon but I still have the other but I can't see it. But, I can fire it. A bug where I have 2 grenades and I throw all of them but it still reads and makes my soldier throw an imaginary grenade. Several other bugs at that. Anyways, my question is, are there other patches that I need to install? I was thinking of the Arrowhead and British AF 1.59 patch but I don't have that expansion. Nor do I have the Reinforcements or the Private Contractors one. Do I need them? I see a bunch of other patches but not sure which ones I "really" need.

@ Wolfram65

I believe at the airports you find pre place structures to build aircrafts.

However you need to research the more advanced types first.

A true Warfare/CTI pro can answer this better though.

Chammy

1) update A2 to version 1.10

2) update OA to version 1.59

All updates for A2OA + DLCs

optional: you can try betabuilds/patches - they dont override anything

A2OA Beta patches

There will be an update to version 1.60 in XX days/weeks! :)

Thanks NoRailgunner but how about the other addons or expansions like Reinforcements , British Forces, Combined Arms, Contractors, are those that I have to purchase at a store? and what is DLCs?

DLCs like BAF and PMC are optional + additional content packs.

For A2 + OA (= Combined Operations, CO) you need only to install those two updates/patches.

DLCs like BAF and PMC are optional + additional content packs.

For A2 + OA (= Combined Operations, CO) you need only to install those two updates/patches.

Woohoo!! Homer style

Hello everybody,

I recently bought Arma X and I have a couple of question about installing,updating,etc. :

When I open the box what will I have to do first ?

- I thought I'll install all the games included in the box, but how to be sure if Arma CWC contains his DLC, and consider them as one game ? What will I need to update ? In which order ? Are there files in need to download other than patch ? Any mods you could advise to me ? :)

In fact I have those question for all the three games (Arma 2001+DLC, Arma 1+DLC,Arma 2+DLC)

Thanks a lot ;D

If possible send me a Private message with all the instructions and links.

I am really looking forward to play these awesome games ;)

Hello any answers ?

In fact I'm just looking for a tutorial,info and pieces of advices to have the best possible experience on Arma X collection.So I ask for a step-by-step beginner about what to do when I will receive the game and what should I do to have the biggest content possible for example Add-ons,Mods recommandation.

Best regards ;)

Thanks for reading.

next time you should create an how-toget-started beginner guide ;)

OK, I just received my Arma X collection, and at first I want to thank a lot BIS because they do a superb work, they are the "good guys" in the video games "industry" :)

So to simplify my questions , I'll rewrite them :

When I'll install each game, what should I do just after.Do I need to install the patch 1.99 for Ama:CWA, the patch 1.60 or earlier patches before and then this one.Will I have to put special stuff to improve my game exprience (ACE mod, etc) and is something necessary to use Arma 2:RFT content in Arma 2 base game ?

You know questions and stuff like this for a beginner. Any help will really be very appreciated.

Thanks again BIS for the game, and the Community for being... a friendly Community

Edited by solarriors
grammatical errors :p

I can answer some of your questions, but not all of them. I use Steam, so my knowledge of the DVD-based version is somewhat limited.

For your question about mods: Mods are undeniably awesome. After I started using the ACE mod, it was hard to go back to Vanilla. However, I would recommend starting off with the vanilla game and learning it first. ArmA2 has a very steep learning curve; ACE will only make it worse.

For your question about patches: All you need to do is install the game, find the latest patch online and install it, and you should be good to go. :)

For your question about Reinforcements: For Steam at least, Reinforcements installed into Combined Ops the first time I ran it. This might be the same for the disk versions. Try running RFT and seeing if it goes over into CO.

Check the Arma 2: Update Guide.

Basically: A2, start once, OA in same folder, start once, DLC, patch to 1.60 directly.

You may have to apply the A2 1.05 patch first, if A2 is lower than this.

Guys, please help me with one question: what class of the ships does USS Khe Sahn belong to? Is it Wasp-class or some other?

Hello again,

At first thanks for your help.So avout the installation and update process I'm done.In fact The Arma X version is already updated to A2 1.11 A2Co 1.69 and BAF 1.03;PMC 1.02 (or inverted between BAF&PMC).

It installs automatically A2 and A2OA(+RFTs) into A2:CO.So I had no problem with that.By the way I want to thank BIS a lot for this, I was a little afraid about that, but it was simple, as every installation.

Now about mods, I read a lot of things.Of course I want to add things I already played many BIS games.And I'm a fan of mod, I used to put them in most of the game I played on PC (FS:X;WRacing2;BF2;SW:EAW;GTAç,etc.)

But I'm afraid of the possible crashing issues, and incompability, cause in fact I just want to add stuff (mainly vehicles,weapons and islands) to A2 and some little changes to improve my actual incredible experience.I'll try the campaigns and other things later.By the way it seems that BIS have included some "officialy approved" mods, like the enhaced effects,sounds mods, and no video intro,sniper tools,etc.

So I've just recently given ARMA 2/OA a go, I've always enjoyed tactical or strategical games and also shooters, so this seemed to be a good idea, right? Wrong. Up till now I am completely confused. While I like the realism level and the way everything is simulated I am completely overwhelmed with all the keyboard bindings, especially as I am a ESDF player and remapped the whole default settings. I'm also overwhelmed with many inconsistencies and things that are not covered by the manual.

So here goes my long list of questions:

- When standing at an ammo crate or vehicle, sometimes when I get the Rifle / Circle icon for reloading my gear - when I select it I somehow go prone - other times I just stand there and have the gear window open? What is the difference?

- Confusing controls that are a riddle to me: Evasive Forward (what is it for?), Reveal target (doesn't do anything), 7 different zoom controls (which of these are useful?), Next target appears twice but it won't actually change targets or acquire a new one, what is the difference between "Look" and "Freelook"?, Turbo and Vehicle Turbo is this important - most vehicles don't have a turbo from what i've seen up till now. The difference between "prone" and "go prone", What is "up" for and how is it different to "Stand up"? Car left / right and Car more left / right are redundant? What does command watch do? What is command watch for? What is the difference between "Tactical view" and "Toggle view" - both switch to 3rd person afaik? Why are there so many buttons with "A on / A off" instead of just combining it into a toggle key? Especially with the aircraft controls (Gears, Flaps, Autohover) this would make things much more straightforward. On the other hand there sometimes are a Toggle key + 2 On/Off keys for the same thing, which is confusing as well ^^

- I can bind SHIFT / CONTROL keys together with mousebuttons, but not with controller buttons, is there a tool for configuring these controls? There must be some kind of tool that tells you what the keys actually do and helps you configure them because the ingame configuration is a horrible user experience and often (to me ) unclear about what certain keys do.

- What are the Seagull controls for? Do I need to bind them as well?

- When I look into the Scope and then zoom in to see more, I can't zoom back out - how do I fix this?

- Depending on the server I sometimes am able to aim and other times I can't which makes it very difficult interacting with vehicles, ammo boxes etc. this makes things even more difficult for a noob like me - I once needed almost a minute to target a vehicle so that I could enter because it would always show the seat symbol, but right when I pressed my use button it would swap to the Gear icon and I would get my inventory

- If a team member calls out "Enemy. Far. 3 o'clock." is that from his position and where he is looking or from my position? and how should I know where 3 o'clock is depending on where I am looking at that moment it could be to the east or west of my position.

- How do I target the enemy? The lock target key is not working somehow. In the single player missions the targets (or last known target position) sometimes gets marked with a red circle, sometimes not, which seems inconsistent.

- What is the giant finger I sometimes get hovering over an enemy or vehicle? And why doesn't it always appear?

- Almost every server I try to join has some obscure mod running or disables all kinds of things that I need to be able to play as entry level player. How do I filter for clean and normal difficult level vanilla servers so I can get some basic practice before using obscure mods that need even more keybinds or can't even switch to 3rd person view?

- How do I setup favourites in the server browser?

- what is the yellow and red symbol in the lower right side of the screen?

---

Thanks for any answers, this might all be pretty simple to long time players, for someone who has never played many simulations (last one I enjoyed was Gunship 2000 I think!) or any ARMA game this is all extremely confusing and tedious. I've now bound over 100 keys now and am happy when I actually notice the enemy while fiddling around with all the controls and stumbling through the map. I am well aware that this game is supposed to be more tactical but it all seems very excessive and overwhelming to me a the moment.

Edited by Lukio

So I've just recently given ARMA 2/OA a go, I've always enjoyed tactical or strategical games and also shooters, so this seemed to be a good idea, right? Wrong. Up till now I am completely confused. While I like the realism level and the way everything is simulated I am completely overwhelmed with all the keyboard bindings, especially as I am a ESDF player and remapped the whole default settings. I'm also overwhelmed with many inconsistencies and things that are not covered by the manual.

So here goes my long list of questions:

- When standing at an ammo crate or vehicle, sometimes when I get the Rifle / Circle icon for reloading my gear - when I select it I somehow go prone - other times I just stand there and have the gear window open? What is the difference?

That sounds as if you made some bad keybindings.

- Confusing controls that are a riddle to me: Evasive Forward (what is it for?), Reveal target (doesn't do anything), 7 different zoom controls (which of these are useful?), Next target appears twice but it won't actually change targets or acquire a new one, what is the difference between "Look" and "Freelook"?, Turbo and Vehicle Turbo is this important - most vehicles don't have a turbo from what i've seen up till now. The difference between "prone" and "go prone", What is "up" for and how is it different to "Stand up"? Car left / right and Car more left / right are redundant? What does command watch do? What is command watch for? What is the difference between "Tactical view" and "Toggle view" - both switch to 3rd person afaik? Why are there so many buttons with "A on / A off" instead of just combining it into a toggle key? Especially with the aircraft controls (Gears, Flaps, Autohover) this would make things much more straightforward. On the other hand there sometimes are a Toggle key + 2 On/Off keys for the same thing, which is confusing as well ^^

There is plenty of stuff, but you will soon find out that you rarelly need them. Turning your mousewhel brings up the action menu that covers things like Gears Flaps and Autohover if you are in a plane/heli.

- I can bind SHIFT / CONTROL keys together with mousebuttons, but not with controller buttons, is there a tool for configuring these controls? There must be some kind of tool that tells you what the keys actually do and helps you configure them because the ingame configuration is a horrible user experience and often (to me ) unclear about what certain keys do.

- What are the Seagull controls for? Do I need to bind them as well?

Leave them as they are. Some Missions have some kind of "You are dead and can´t respawn, but you can continue to watch the battle as a bird or butterfly" feature

- When I look into the Scope and then zoom in to see more, I can't zoom back out - how do I fix this?

Numpad + and - should do the trick

- Depending on the server I sometimes am able to aim and other times I can't which makes it very difficult interacting with vehicles, ammo boxes etc. this makes things even more difficult for a noob like me - I once needed almost a minute to target a vehicle so that I could enter because it would always show the seat symbol, but right when I pressed my use button it would swap to the Gear icon and I would get my inventory

Unsure what you mean. Make sure to be at the passenger door if you want to get into that position. Again the Action menu is your friend (it`s context sensitive)

- If a team member calls out "Enemy. Far. 3 o'clock." is that from his position and where he is looking or from my position? and how should I know where 3 o'clock is depending on where I am looking at that moment it could be to the east or west of my position.

That is one of the great mysteries of Arma, don´t even care. Take a moment to see where the fire is coming from and then return the favour

- How do I target the enemy? The lock target key is not working somehow. In the single player missions the targets (or last known target position) sometimes gets marked with a red circle, sometimes not, which seems inconsistent.

You point your gun at them and shoot? Lock target should be the TAB key, try to use it inside of an airplane with guided missiles.

If you have a squad leader he may sometimes give you targets (the red circels). Usually he gives targets to the unit that is nearest to the enemy.

- What is the giant finger I sometimes get hovering over an enemy or vehicle? And why doesn't it always appear?

A giant finger? No Idea....

- Almost every server I try to join has some obscure mod running or disables all kinds of things that I need to be able to play as entry level player. How do I filter for clean and normal difficult level vanilla servers so I can get some basic practice before using obscure mods that need even more keybinds or can't even switch to 3rd person view?

Yes many servers run some mods, you might want to check them out when you get familiar with vanilla (Some of them are really awesome, ACE for example). My advise is that you get at least a nice soundmod like JSRS. It makes playing more fun and many servers allow it because its so popular. Left of the server name you can see a colored dot that is either green, red or yellow. red means that you can´t connect. So filter for green servers.

- How do I setup favourites in the server browser?

You can´t as far as I know, some Launchers allow you to do that. You might want to get yourself a launcher since it makes mod management much easier. Use either Six Updater (also helps you to find and download mods) or search for Spirited Machines Arma2 Launcher.

- what is the yellow and red symbol in the lower right side of the screen?

I need to see it

---

Thanks for any answers, this might all be pretty simple to long time players, for someone who has never played many simulations (last one I enjoyed was Gunship 2000 I think!) or any ARMA game this is all extremely confusing and tedious. I've now bound over 100 keys now and am happy when I actually notice the enemy while fiddling around with all the controls and stumbling through the map. I am well aware that this game is supposed to be more tactical but it all seems very excessive and overwhelming to me a the moment.

That is nothing unusuall. You might want to search for some youtube turtorials!

Wow that is a long list.

May I ask you why you play with ESDF instead of WASD?

As you may have noticed Arma uses a big part of your keyboard and going to a different control system is really going to mess everything up -> it will be a pain in the ass to remap everything.

So I've just recently given ARMA 2/OA a go, I've always enjoyed tactical or strategical games and also shooters, so this seemed to be a good idea, right? Wrong.

Remapping the keys wholesale is a bad idea. You might think that you can change all the key bindings to be similar to your other games, but it rarely works well.

A lot of new players get bogged down with the dozens of key assignments. You don't need the seagull, forget it. For the first couple of hours, you need movement keys, fire, reload, prone, stand and middle mouse. The interface is a mess so don't get too involved in it just yet. Get familiar with the game first.

Other piece of valuable advice which you didn't ask for but are going to get any way... don't install any addons yet.

I don't know if you are English and so may not understand this phrase - "You're trying to learn to run before you can walk" :)

So first of all thanks for the bit by bit explanations, especially with the Seagull and the O'Clock thingie - I googled a lot and did not find anything informative on that! :-D

So I guess its up to me to answer some questions :-D

May I ask you why you play with ESDF instead of WASD? As you may have noticed Arma uses a big part of your keyboard and going to a different control system is really going to mess everything up -> it will be a pain in the ass to remap everything.

Yeah several reasons. #1 I play ESDF since DOOM - can't change the habit and if I try WASD my hand automatically moves over to the F key (the one with the bump). #2 Because many games use several keys (not as many as ARMA but still a few) I actually can use more keys to the left #3 its easier on the wrist / with WASD I often get repetitive strain injury.

Remapping the keys wholesale is a bad idea. You might think that you can change all the key bindings to be similar to your other games, but it rarely works well.

A lot of new players get bogged down with the dozens of key assignments. You don't need the seagull, forget it. For the first couple of hours, you need movement keys, fire, reload, prone, stand and middle mouse. The interface is a mess so don't get too involved in it just yet. Get familiar with the game first.

Other piece of valuable advice which you didn't ask for but are going to get any way... don't install any addons yet.

I don't know if you are English and so may not understand this phrase - "You're trying to learn to run before you can walk" :)

Well the remapping thing is something that I've gotten used to for so many games, for the default controls that you mentioned I'm well set up, basically most of the keys just get shifted one to the right. For the addons I try to play on Vanilla servers, but they are kind of rare. For getting familiar with the game I've done the campaigns / trainings and now am unlocking the armory bit by bit ^^

Download and print off Loyalguard's Arma keyboard legend. I never play without it

Thanks for the tip, will look into it.

You've all been a great help, still some question marks but much fewer by now :) The Hand thing I was talking about seemingly comes when I target a usable object while in command mode (the circle reticle changes into the giant finger). For the gear ammo box I've found out that if you pick up a weapon directly with the default use button instead of selecting gear your character actually bends down to pick it up, fine for me but nonetheless confusing ^^

Edited by Lukio

wait 'til you get ACE... that mod uses ALL of your keys on the keyboard, remapping them all will be hell. :dead:

the yellow and red chain icons in the corner represent your connection with the server. red means you are lagging and the server is having difficulties. yellow you can pay no attention to.

as for servers, windows under the list of servers has all the info on the highlighted server, the biggest one lists all the mods. the first few lines are identical for all the servers. if you see additional entries there with a @ symbol attached to them, these are mods you have to have installed to be able to connect. some of the mods you don't have to have (depends on the server settings), but stuff like @ACE or @fallujah is a requirement.