wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

The medic can be controlled and ordered to administer first aid. This is of course dependant on you (or another player) being the leader.

And if I'm unable to give orders (for example, I, the leader, is wounded), he just sits there like a stooge.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

To get more responsive mouse control:

-Disable v-sync! (gfx card control panel)

-Disable mouse acceleration etc (mouse control panel)

-Set smoothing to a very low level (arma2/options/controls)

-Disable floating zone (arma2/options/game)

-Set graphics quality to Very Low (arma2/options/video)

Thank you. I've done all these things and it's still extremely rough around the edges. It's hard to explain the problems with the aiming in this game. It's a combination of mouselag (which is now mostly fixed), jitter, and mouse acceleration. Disabling mouse acceleration in the control panel (mine has always been disabled) doesn't do much because the game has built in mouse acceleration. And if I'm ingame, pause, and move the mouse around, it sort of "jitters" as I move it. It's as if the mouse is fighting me.

Im guessing you've got a rig that can handle Arma2??

Im guessing you've got a rig that can handle Arma2??

It can handle every other game I've ever played on high settings.

E8400 @ 3.5 ghz

2GB of RAM

9800GTX+ (Overclocked)

Windows XP

well im not an expert but id say a better graphics card might help, i usally go by Futuremarks site http://service.futuremark.com/hardware to compare gfx cards, i have a 4850 and personaly thats really the lowest id go.

Plus you can pick up a ait 5770 for about £120 http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Graphics-ATI/ATIHD5700Series/Novatech/57701GB.html so it wont cost you too much

Edited by SteveJA360
Addition stuff

1) Are there wave defense-type maps out there?

2) Is there any mod which makes the medic smart enough to heal people once they're injured? Earlier me and my friend were playing and it came down to me and my friend injured on the ground with a Corpsman just sitting around, enjoying the scenery. We have the ACE 2 mod installed and neither of us could give orders on the ground.

3) How do you sneak up on the AI? We played a stealth mission which takes place at night. It seems like the AI magically knows where we are and they treat visibility no different than day time. We could be crouching in the trees 100 yards away and they would go into alert mode.

4) How do you engage the AI in combat? If you prone, your face is going to be full of foliage, meaning that prone is only useful if taking cover - and not for actual combat. If you crouch, the AI will seem to shoot you dead between the eyes. It's difficult to get the element of surprise in this game and long-ranged combat is too hard with the funky aiming problems in combination with the ballistics.

5) How do you face vehicles? They seem be armored, mobile snipers. In fact, it's more often that these things will sight us and take us out before we can even figure out where the shots come from.

1. Town Contact converted from ArmA 1 by zipper 5 is one example.

2. Did use BIS first aid modules, or ACE wounding system or perhaps revive script? If you use BIS first aid modules then when your down press space and from action menu select "Injured" that will call for a medic. It can take time due some issues that a beta patch brought on to patch 1.05 before the medic actually helps you!

3. It depends on skill settings and how you move, if your standing up chances of getting seen is of course greater. But AI does see much better than players in the dark.

4. Yes grass is a problem at times, specially on Chernarus where it's more like knee high weeds than grass. You'll adobt to issues like this with time and practice.

5. This could be you needing practice or your difficulty settings being too high for your current skill level. If you get frustrated then lower AI skills in your game settings.

well im not an expert but id say a better graphics card might help, i usally go by Futuremarks site http://service.futuremark.com/hardware to compare gfx cards, i have a 4850 and personaly thats really the lowest id go.

Plus you can pick up a ait 5770 for about £120 http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Graphics-ATI/ATIHD5700Series/Novatech/57701GB.html so it wont cost you too much

I'm not going to upgrade my videocard just for this game - and I am well-versed in graphics cards.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

1. Town Contact converted from ArmA 1 by zipper 5 is one example.

2. Did use BIS first aid modules, or ACE wounding system or perhaps revive script? If you use BIS first aid modules then when your down press space and from action menu select "Injured" that will call for a medic. It can take time due some issues that a beta patch brought on to patch 1.05 before the medic actually helps you!

3. It depends on skill settings and how you move, if your standing up chances of getting seen is of course greater. But AI does see much better than players in the dark.

4. Yes grass is a problem at times, specially on Chernarus where it's more like knee high weeds than grass. You'll adobt to issues like this with time and practice.

5. This could be you needing practice or your difficulty settings being too high for your current skill level. If you get frustrated then lower AI skills in your game settings.

Thank you very much. I'm going to keep playing, try that map, and see if my experience improves!

And if I'm unable to give orders (for example, I, the leader, is wounded), he just sits there like a stooge.

If you're unable to give orders because you're wounded, then that must mean you're using an addon that creates that situation yes? I suggest knocking out that one addon if possible.

I'm not going to upgrade my videocard just for this game - and I am well-versed in graphics cards.

I had to upgrade my cpu/ram/mobo/graphics card to play this game :D

You should be able to play with moderate frame rates with low to mid settings. Have you used the winxp mouse accerlation fix? Mines disabled through the logitech drivers.

Could do with an extra gig of ram aswell, IIRC arma uses about 1.5gig max so that isnt leaving you much headroom for OS and background stuff.

If you're unable to give orders because you're wounded, then that must mean you're using an addon that creates that situation yes? I suggest knocking out that one addon if possible.

It's ACE 2, quite a massive add on. :(

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

I had to upgrade my cpu/ram/mobo/graphics card to play this game :D

You should be able to play with moderate frame rates with low to mid settings. Have you used the winxp mouse accerlation fix? Mines disabled through the logitech drivers.

Could do with an extra gig of ram aswell, IIRC arma uses about 1.5gig max so that isnt leaving you much headroom for OS and background stuff.

Leaves a perfect amount of headroom, as I have no background stuff and Win XP doesn't use nearly as much ram either. I get good framerate (benchmark says 55) on high settings. I get no mouselag in Crysis at 20 FPS. It's the game engine, not my PC.

Hi,

It seems like a right place to post this question. In the initial ARMA2 installation - are there locked missions there? The ones that are not visible? I see MP missions on-line with numbers higher than 05:. Castle, some kind of factory where you can play DM game WITH AIs if nobody joins. If so, is there way to unlock those missions?

Thank you

K

Hi,

It seems like a right place to post this question. In the initial ARMA2 installation - are there locked missions there? The ones that are not visible? I see MP missions on-line with numbers higher than 05:. Castle, some kind of factory where you can play DM game WITH AIs if nobody joins. If so, is there way to unlock those missions?

Thank you

K

There is a multiplayer map that came with the game I believe that takes place in a factory, is a team deathmatch and you can play with AI. There is also a deathmatch one that takes place in Vybor... or it was in Vybor when I played it the one time.

Yes, the factory (name on the map) is actually looks like a construction site. This is the only DM map that I have that has AIs in it.

All I have in Chernarus map:

01: Deathmatch

02: Detector

03:Close Quarters

04:Civil war

05:Super powers

In Utes

01:War Welcome

That is all I have. It's got to be more. what am I missing?

Thanks

K

Hi Krout

Most missions in ArmA are ones created by the community. ArmA comes with a stock bunch of missions as examples and some templates for making your own DM and CTF missions, but most missions get made in the editor and come out of ArmA players imaginations.

There are literaly thousands, probably tens of thousands of them. When you log on to server to play a mission it is dowloaded to your mission cache, under windows username

C:\Documents and Settings\Windows username\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache
folder Under XP

You can then copy them to your

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\MPMissions\
folder under XP

If you want uses them in you home server.

You can also download them from the links in the forum user missions and the various fan sites.

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\MPMissions\
folder under XP

They then appear in your host server missions list.

This thread has some additional information on some of the more common mission types including manuals on how they work.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

Kind Regards walker

walker,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. This will definitely help. I hope the folders are the same in Win 7:).

I also want to explain my initial question. The reason I am looking for ARMA2 DM missions, that came (?) with the game, is that they have AI solders in it. I have made several DM missions of my own, but they all rely on others to join in in order to be playable. I only play DM missions and there are very a few of them out there, so I like to have at least some AI opponents to play with until someone connects to pay.

Thanks again fot your help.

K

One question, I don't have the game yet and would like to know: does it require the disk in the drive to play? If so I'll probably get the, irritatingly more expensive, Steam version. (unless of course you can register the code with steam as I did with UT3)

Initially, when I bought the game, the disk had to be in the drive. After I updated to 1.05.xxxx or 1.5.xxxx (don't remember if it is .05 or just .5 after 1) it no longer requires the disk to play.

Ah ok then I'll get the disk version. Excellent, as that is less than half the price of the Steam one.

Howdy,

trying to play "01: war welcome" but not clear about one thing:

As commander, how do I tell the troops which target to take? PLEASE NOTE: I am not talking about commanding my personal squad. I am talking about commanding all troops as the commander.

Thx in advance.

Jeff

Ctrl+Space brings up the commander menu,after that you give orders to teams like you give them at your squad members(F keys for choosing and the orders are in the 1-0 keys though with right click on a waypoint you find most of the choices there also.)

Hello,

I just got this game like yesterday. I played through the tutorials and want to go into so multiplayer combat, but all the servers I join say deleted files and mods needed to play. Is there a place where I can get the master list of what I need? Man I miss CSS where you would just DL them when you joined the server.

Download ACE, almost all servers use ACE:

Download the extras if necesary:

ACE could be found here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8602

How to install mods:

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

Also some servers uses the ACE extra vehicles and US army (included on ACE Extras)

ACE Extras could be found here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8603

ACE requires CBA (Community base addons):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231

Good resource for you would be also Armaholic.com, be sure to check out new user islands since the majority is kinda dissapointed with default Chernarus ;)

the majority is kinda dissapointed with default Chernarus

Really? I think its the best island from all of the series so far

Really? I think its the best island from all of the series so far

He probably meant performance wise :)