Sign in to follow this  
csj

the FEW

Firstly, 'the FEW' can be used in conjuction with any WWII mod.

'the FEW' is an aerial combat mod but of course at times we would like to mix and match it with the WWII ground combat mods.

We will not be focusing on ground units (never even considered) but more on objects and props.

Yac has kindly provided the pilot model to start and maybe if he likes could include some air and

ground crew but that would be the extent of unit models I would imagine.

AA guns etc I am hoping that they would be covered in other mods.

"CSJ, is is the is a Battle of Britain mod or a full WWII aircraft mod?"

BOB is just one arena. Hopefully, with support, we can cover other arenas as the Pacific

and update aircraft models as they evolved through to the later stages of WWII.

"(BI for some bizarre reason never implemented turret classes on fixed wing aircraft as far as I know)"

not tested MP yet but hopefully will be OK.

the biggest problem I can see would be AI shooting the wings off their own bombers.

@Bushlurker

I have worked on several 51x51 maps so I can appreciate the work involved.

The idea for a BOB map is not to focus on ground units but more so ground targets.

It would be for air combat, bombing raids, recon etc AA, strategic targets, airfields and trains etc

I do not imagine combat troops by the number running around other then those manning guns

or ground crew.

Detail would be higher around airfields but villages, towns, docks and factories would be low detail.

They are my thoughts atm..

The other WWII mods would have or be making maps more suited to detailed ground combat.

I would like to see what you have so far.

I know most are busy doing their own thing but if someone can spare 20 mins to assist with some sqf

work that would be good.

Anyone that thinks they can 'help the cause' is welcome to msg me.

OMG!!! WOW! Even if it is not totally perfect, something like your B-17 would be a dream to me. I had totally forgotten also about the predator drone and its turret so I guess I was wrong about the turret class thing. I noticed that some of the guns are still buggy (the rear and side guns sticking straight up) but overall aside from the "shooting through wings" problem, it seems it could still work vith very careful players and perhaps some turret movement limitations in the config to minimize self-inflected dammage. But I'm sure you're way ahead of me on that idea. Hats off to you for such fine work. You're absolutely right. I forgot that your mod had its own pilots so yeah no need to integrate them with any WWII mod.

On areas that could use improvement- cannon/mg sounds. Those definitely need new sound samples. Also to get an idea of some better engine sounds, you might check out the sounds from Footmunch's old A1 Skyraider addon in OFP.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=5007

That thing had a THUNDEROUS radial engine sound that was just absolute perfect with that very distinguishable radial engine sound that you rarely hear any more in the skies today accept at air shows. I still remember the first time hearing the roar of those engines when an airshow was going on in my town. I was like, "What the hell is that??" and saw a formation of classic WWII fighters and a B-17 bomber flown by the Confederate Airforce. I'll never forget that sound. It just sent shivers up my spine. My father remembers seeing thousands in the sky returning from Europe one particular day shortly after WWII when he was a child... something that will never be seen or heard again today accept in simulators.

With all this talk about sounds, if you need any help with sound editing, I'd be more then happy to help you seek out and edit high quality radial engine sounds. (I've done several custom helicopter and tank sounds in the past). So for example for a B17 sound I could take a good single radial engine sound, put them on several tracks of my multi-track software, time align them slight differently and adjust each one's pitch a minute amount to get a very authentic sounding multi-engine WWII bomber sound that could then be looped once mixed into a master stereo .wav sound.

I hope also that you might think about some of the more interesting WWII warbirds that most WWII mods completely ignore. A prime example is the P-51 Blackwidow, a truly AWESOME warbird with its 20mm cannons and .50 cal gun turret on top (often removed or locked forward). The P-47 Thunderbolt is another excellent plane that I've never seen in the OFP/ArmA world of WWII mods. If you've never seen this documentary, you MUST see "A Fighter Pilot's Story", the story of Quentin C. Aanenson, a P-47 Fighter Pilot who flew some of the most insane missions in WWII and saw the war in the ground as an Airforce combat controller calling in airstrikes. If that documentary doesn't inspire you to make a P-47 (and move you to tears on some parts) I don't know what will. The narration is a bit amateurish, but thats because it's the pilot himself reading his memoirs so for me it made the documentary more meaningful. It also has some rare combat video from WWII. You can watch most of the documentary in 10 sections on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EVUZZjuDHw

P-61_Black_Widow.jpg

republic-p-47-d-thunderbolt-01.jpg

At any rate, as always I know you will do what you enjoy making and what you want to fly as I know you're passionate about planes. I also know that regardless of what you make, I will enjoy flying them!!!

So hats off sir to some really fine work!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Edited by Miles Teg

Is it just me or do they crash eachother or just get shot down randomly?

Like ill play me vs 5 other planes and like 3 of them will go down for no reason. Lol.

Is it just me or do they crash eachother or just get shot down randomly?

Like ill play me vs 5 other planes and like 3 of them will go down for no reason. Lol.

Yes, yes, that's precisely what it is.

That, or you are a complete wind up merchant...

That's a really vague comment. Please be more specific to assist the creator with issues. General speculation doesn't help whatsoever.

Re: sounds

The sounds for the current released planes are recorded from video footage of the same aircraft - best I can do there. I thought they sounded ok but there is always room for improvement.

Sgt.Elias has already altered the 109 sounds for next release.

The Spitfire and Hurricane machine guns, not the cannons, are also from video footage. They sound good when the whole sound is played but the rapid fire cuts the sounds very short.

I could not find a half decent 20mm so just used either an old copy or a Bis sound.

Anybody good with sounds / sound configs that wants to assist in that department is welcome. :cool:

(I am not intereseted in just swapping sounds or textures etc from other games !)

"Is it just me or do they crash eachother or just get shot down randomly?

"

AI can tend to collide with each other.

Also, the way I have the damage setup there is a very very slim chance of the players plane self immolating but even less chance for AI.

Until I get assistance re the damagehandling (hint hint :cool: ) then the current system will stay as it is.

I have noticed that when sqd leader the AI do not really respond to the 'attack at will' it is better to give them a target and then order to engage.

erm i might be able to get you some decent live recorded prop engine sounds, although it would mean calling in some favors. They wouldn't be merlin engines though. I might also know someone who has those. Gimme a few days and i'll post back if i get anything.

"They wouldn't be merlin engines though." - best to try and keep ridgy didge?

prt2 is better but there are a several startup vids to choose from.

There's a guy over at x-plane.org who records and supplies engine sounds to plane makers for X-plane. He seems like a reasonable guy so he might be okay with letting you use his Merlin sounds.

His tag is Dataroots (Chris, I think) and it might be worth giving him a shout. If you like, I can ask him on your behalf as I've already got an account over there.

@Das Attorney

Since everyone hates my sounds so much :icon_sad:

I quess it would not hurt to ask him, if you please.

Naturally before any new mod additions are accepted they a will be subject to review at Bentley Priory. :D

@Darkhorse

I think that is the clip I used for the startup sound. I have spent my time in youtube.

Wow great, so you decided to make Storm of War Battle of Britain instead of 1C company? :D

Very nice looking, keep up the good work.

"Wow great, so you decided to make Storm of War Battle of Britain instead of 1C company? "

urmm :confused: - no

Uhmm sorry CSJ, I tought you know that title - it's a work in progress by the makers of IL-2 Sturmovik, with the Battle of Britain theme, they should've released it abou 3-4 years ago by original intent.

Unfortunately I don't get to sample many other games or other mods for that matter.

Maybe if I did then I would not have to amuse myself by making this stuff :scratchchin:

how did u get turrets to work on aircraft? it was my understanding that it wasnt possible? :S

or did u use the attachto work around? either way very impressive work mate

Still using attachto work around.

Someone mentioned a turret on the UAV a couple of days ago so I tried to get that wokring on my planes but kept getting error after error so I reverted back to the attachto.

I have set it up to act like a normal turret as much as possible.

If you create an empty plane the turret is empty or create a manned plane and the turret is manned.

AI is not too bad at shooting around his own plane - even some humans :j: occasionally put one or two bullet holes in the tail.

Has a couple of drawbacks like cmd disembark and gunner will disembark no matter where you are ...but I am sure this type of thing can be overcome.

Nice Ju87. Insert only new Luftwaffe pilots ;)

VERY happy to see this as a WIP!

One of my top favorites when it comes to classic aircraft, most particularly since it was a very infamous dive-bomber. Will you implement the Jericho-Trompete?

Thank you for making this mod guys. It's just like playing IL-2 Sturmovik, except with the ability of flying your mission ,getting shot down, then joining the resistance.....instead of just seeing a game over screen.

Now only if I could strafe enemy parachutes like I did in IL-2 :)

Excellent work!

enlist.jpg

Enlisting

people with practical understanding of sound/sound cfg - ballistics cfg - sqf general

Much appreciated (would free up my time so much more for modelling)

contact private message thankyou

Bit of constructive criticism: The undercarriage of the Hurricane is wrong. The correct is shown here:

hawker_hurricane.gif

It happens to be my favourite aircraft of all time. :)