Sign in to follow this  
10mm-Warrior

Javelin Use and Hard Difficulty

It appears that the Javelin is quite useless in the hard difficulty in single player and multiplayer. There has been quite a few times trying to shoot a tank in muliplayer and finding that eather the Javelin hits a unintended target that i couldnt see it was locked on. or just Flys thought the air. Is there any other way to tell if you have a confermed lock on the target other then in the easy setting for the game. Because at the hard Difficulty setting it seems its a hope shot because one can not get a confirmed lock on of a target.

Also, is BIS plan on fixing this problem so the people who play on Hard difficulty are able to get a confirmed lock with out having to shoot and hope.

Thanks

Jesse

No other way. I am hoping BIS makes weapons lockon box independant of the crosshair setting. :( For now, my launcher of choice is the Metis.

There is one thing you can do, use the space button to open the quick command menu. Then you will see what the missile is locked on to. You will then have to close the menu before you fire, and hope that it is still locked on when you shoot.

Not very practical, but until this issue is fixed there is nothing else to do.

Forgive me if I am missing something, which i probably am, but what about pressing tab?

I did some testing in the editor, and I could not switch between targets with the tab button, neither when the menu was open nor when it's closed.

Maybe it has something to do with my settings, but it would seem that tab does nothing in this case.

Oh, for me i am always pressing tab with the javeline, it comes up with the same circle and square as in an aircraft. From there the missile will never miss unloss the lock is broken somehow.

Which mods do you guys use? Or are you all on default settings? I have never had an issue with the javeline personally, so it's interesting to know whats going on here!

You don't have to press tab with the Javelin, it locks on automatically when you aim at a target, at least it always has for me.

It's just that when you have the crosshair option turned off (which is the default setting when you play at higher difficulties), you can't see the lock box, unless you press space and open the quick command menu.

I always point the Jav at a target and hold down the right mouse button while tracking. Before 1.02 it sometimes didn´t lock up, however, after that it manages to strike the correct target in 9 out of 10 attempts if the line of sight is reasonably clear.

What would be awesome though would be an actual Javelin Aiming interface... that´d be one feature I´d like to see in Arrowhead.

Isn't right mouse button just "reveal target", that is, report a target to your AI teammates? I doubt it will make any difference in locking on. As long as you see the lockbox, you're locked on.

I totally agree that it would be nice with an actual Javelin interface, that should have been in the game from the beginning.

A target box or just a red light... Or something - would be nice.

In OA im counting on update for this.

Isn't right mouse button just "reveal target", that is, report a target to your AI teammates? I doubt it will make any difference in locking on. As long as you see the lockbox, you're locked on.

I totally agree that it would be nice with an actual Javelin interface, that should have been in the game from the beginning.

Oh right... actually, I´ve remapped the keys so right click to assign/aquire targets works along with reveal target as in Arma and OFP.

Much more comfortable to command squads too, that way.

Oh, for me i am always pressing tab with the javeline, it comes up with the same circle and square as in an aircraft. From there the missile will never miss unloss the lock is broken somehow.

Which mods do you guys use? Or are you all on default settings? I have never had an issue with the javeline personally, so it's interesting to know whats going on here!

Lock is automatic, there is no need to press tab.

Some times I wonder how hard it actually would have been to make a tag-the-target mechanic similar to using the laser marker to aim artillery in the game, for the Javelin.

A Javelin does not auto target, it just doesn't. It just seems such a pointless design flaw in the game, why was it done this way?

Even COD got the tag system ...

o-ZhEFB3vg4

*slightly offtopic rant over, please forgive me.

Edited by sparks50

Oh right... actually, I´ve remapped the keys so right click to assign/aquire targets works along with reveal target as in Arma and OFP.

Much more comfortable to command squads too, that way.

I don't really understand what you mean here. What is assign/aquire targets? The Javelin locks on automatically, there's no need to press any button, as far as I know.

EDIT: Looking at the control options, I see that holding the right mouse button is mapped to "reveal target", and also "zoom or lock". Is there a weapon that needs to be locked on with the right mouse button? Could it be used to lock on a Javelin when the target is obscured behind trees or something? The Javelin locks on automatically for me, but I've only used it with the target in full view.

Edited by Johan S

EDIT: Looking at the control options, I see that holding the right mouse button is mapped to "reveal target", and also "zoom or lock". Is there a weapon that needs to be locked on with the right mouse button? Could it be used to lock on a Javelin when the target is obscured behind trees or something? The Javelin locks on automatically for me, but I've only used it with the target in full view.

The javelin will loose its target if its obscured. Try with a tank driving in/behind a forest, damn near impossible to get a steady target lock. AFAIK there's no way to lock on to it.

I think the javelin works just fine, what it could use is fixed damage (so many times where it doesnt even destroy a BMP) and someway to see whether its locked on a target on veteran.

Ok, so you can not hold the right mouse button to get a lock then? I just thought that since the control is called "zoom or lock", you have to be able to use it to lock something. Of course, this may not apply to the Javelin, it could be for another purpose.

Play once on regular in the editor, see how it works, and know that on expert it is the exact same thing except with no indicators... And/Or use spacebar to see what it's locked on to.

Yeah, the javelin mechanics are pretty horrible in the game, especially when compared to how it is IRL.

Well here is the issue i have had with it. There was quite a few times i was unable to get a lock on a Tank that was in full view with no trees or bushes around while playing multiplayer, But from time to time i can still get a lock on a BMP that is some what behind trees and bushes. There have also been times when a BMP and a T72 or T90 are in the same field of view with the Jav and i was unable to lock onto the T72 or T90. So inreality i have had issue locking onto tanks in full view, but at the same time i can "accidently" lock on tanks behind cover. There have been plenty of other times also when in hard mode with a clear line of sight on a tank and then launching the Jav and finding there the missle never even hits the tank or even contacts the ground. So in short. i find that if you play on hard difficalty, and the using the Jav, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting the target. With the three suprize choises, Aim fire and hit the target you aim at. Aim fire and accidently hit a target you didnt intend to aim at. Or Aim, Fire and watch the missle go wildly high into space never to be seen again.

Jesse

Many times, even if you have a lock on the right target (confirmed by hitting space), you could still miss it if its too near. Tried at 300m and the rocket simply exploded ABOVE the tank.... sigh... I am through with Javelins... METIS is the way to go.

I think metis has minimum range as well (as in, it'll explode slightly before hitting the target if range is too short).

Anyway, if you want to know what it's locked on to, use the spacebar. The lock indicator is there, you just have to go through some pain to make it show.

Many times, even if you have a lock on the right target (confirmed by hitting space), you could still miss it if its too near. Tried at 300m and the rocket simply exploded ABOVE the tank.... sigh... I am through with Javelins... METIS is the way to go.

The Javelin is meant to engage tanks at like 600m+ distance (better yet, a kilometer away), where none of the unguided rockets can touch vehicles. At 300m it barely clears the minimum range.

Tried using it consistently at longer distance, like its supposed to? I just tested with ACE and you need about 1/3rd of the Utes runway to clear the minimum range, I dont know what that is, 250ish meters perhaps.

Just to clarify, there are two difficulty settings affecting AT guidance.

Weapon Crosshair set to Disabled will make the lock indicator invisible, although, opening the command menu makes it visible.

Autoguide AT set to Disabled will prevent automatically locking on just by pointing. You will have to use Tab or Manual Lock (usually mapped to same button as Zoom).

Besides having a direct attack vector, I don't see how the Metis is different from the Javelin in terms of acquiring a target.

Also, ACE changes a lot of launcher functionality. Hopefully, they will add custom lock indicators where appropriate.