Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

hmmm Codemasters "sequel to OFP" was sarcastic too :D

Well, I think DR is officially dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD. Literally.

Xfire is now showing less than 50 people world wide playing it.

Turn out the lights, their party's over.

I guess they don't teach like they use to.. In marketing class,15 years ago (really a mash of a several business 101 classes) they taught the first rule of new business competition, using the cable companies as the example. It still holds true today: If you are attempting to break into an established region, you better have significant advantage in feature, service, price, or ease of use of your product. Well, duh. What did DR have? Great PR.

Was looking about a bit on the CM forum, and I keep seeing a reference to a weapon called "the Queen Bee".

From what I gather it is some sort of AT weapon. atfirst i thought they were referring to the javelin as the QB (witch made me want to shout and curse).

However it seems to be a Chinese weapon.

so, my question is: WTH is it? predictably google was less the helpful :p

Also all this post DR release bashing just seems kind of petty. Its like making fun of George W Bush now that he is out of public office. :p

It is no longer edgy, cool, or the thing to do, its just harassing a poor tired old man.

let DR just slip away

Edited by That guy

Was looking about a bit on the CM forum, and I keep seeing a reference to a weapon called "the Queen Bee".

From what I gather it is some sort of AT weapon. atfirst i thought they were referring to the javelin as the QB (witch made me want to shout and curse).

However it seems to be a Chinese weapon.

so, my question is: WTH is it? predictably google was less the helpful :P

Also all this post DR release bashing just seems kind of petty. Its like making fun of George W Bush now that he is out of public office. :p

It is no longer edgy, cool, or the thing to do, its just harassing a poor tired old man.

let DR just slip away

Queen Bee is apparently the PF 98. A Chinese anti-tank weapon. According to google. Wikipedia: PF-98

Queen Bee is apparently the PF 98. A Chinese anti-tank weapon. According to google. Wikipedia: PF-98

Yeah, never heard of it. They mentioned it alot in the CM interviews. Dunno the Jav is pretty nasty.

I always thought the queen bees are the QBZ riffles, arent they? QBZ = QueenBeez? Or as the americans pronounce the letter 'Z' as 'zee' vs british 'zed' so if pronounce the Queue Bee Zee (QBZ) isnt it simpler just to pronunce Queen Beez instead? At least thats what I think anyway

Edited by Mr_Centipede

The "Queen Bee" in dr is definitely the Chinese AT launcher.

Also, Luhgnut, the xfire stats i'm looking at say ~3000 playing per day, I dont see a "users currently playing" stat?

Since when does Xfire define a games activity? Not everybody uses Xfire and not a lot of people care about Xfire...

Totally agree mehman, especially for arma, where in some versions some fiddling is required to even get xfire working.

AFAIK however, there is some "involvement" with xfire/dragon rising, I'm trying to find some proof, at th moment all I have is a "I vaguely recall someone saying dr's multiplayer was xfire based" So it might be a good indicator for the number of people playing dr...

If that's true, great, but if Luhgnut is saying the show is over, then why doesn't he shut the fuck up already and let it end without a bang. You can't point your finger at Polaris or Viiiper going "uuhh, look at them, being biased and wrong, and devout" while doing the same thing.

I think it's because most review sites are sugar coating the game immensely. By people venting more and more of their rage towards the game and the developer, it shows to many that the game is no where near as good as reviews are saying it is. While that will be a very small number of people in comparison, every little helps.

I'd do it just so that I can try to make sure Codemasters make very few sales after release. They don't deserve any money for producing such a shitty game. By voicing the flaws of the game more publicly, it gets it known to more people. Of course, that's a very small number of people, as I said before.

hi,

I think ofp2 is nearly down and it's time to gently say to his community to switch to ArmA2, here's what I wrote to a guy who wanted to buy ArmA2 but he didn't know if his computer was able to run it well.

hi,

i want to buy it lol but my comp probably won't play it very well.

Specs:

Chip Type:  AMD Phenom X4 Processor (Quad core 2.3MHz per cpu)

Graphics Card:

NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB GDDR3 1.8GHZ, 256BIT GRAPHICS CARD, WITH VGA, HDTV and DVI OUT

Speed: 2,300 MHz

Memory (RAM): 4,000 MB

Hard Drive Capacity: 500 GB

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

here's my answer:

I think ArmA2 should work on your system but I suggest you to change your graphic card to a new one.

For all people who have problems of performances here's some tweaks to have better experience.

first Install the patch 1.04.

Here's a selection of the best clients addons I tested:

GDT mod: GDT mod download page

Required for GDT: Extended Eventhandlers (XEH)

Extract the XEH + key from the files and include it in your GDT folder.

You can run the whole GDT mod or just select what you want use. Create a folder named "@GDT" in this folder create another folder named "addons" and in this folder put the pbo's + keys

Personaly I prefer those NVG: Full NVG by Bravo6

Texture replacement for Chernarus: LandTex

Vopsound create some errors in MP but here's a download link in case you really don't like vanillia sounds: Vopsound 2.1

Sound of war adds new sounds to ArmA2: Sound of war

Draw distance addon, very useful for snipers and pilots: Object drawing distance tweak

Enhance the night lighting effects of Arma2: Night lighting effects

Use this method for installation:

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

+add this line in the target of your shortcut:

-nosplash -world=empty -forcedirectdx9 -cpuCount=4

-nosplash -- no Logo screens at start up

-world=empty -- the equivalent to -nomap in OFP (much faster start time)

-forcedirectdx9 -- Just what it says - forces Dx9 (Dx10 not used by ARMA2)

-cpuCount=4 -- Ensures all 4 cores of my quad core are utilized (4 could be made 2 for dual core)

With all those tricks I run ArmA2 on this system with 30-60fps:

win XP pro 32 bits sp3 (version 2002)

M2N-SLI-Delux sAM2

AMD Atlhon 7850 dual-core 2.81 GHz

2 Go RAM

Nvidia 9600GT 512 Mo PCIE

HD320Go SATA-II 16Mo 3.5 P

With those video options:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=114249arma2_2009_11_07_00_42_23_68.jpg

ArmA isn't a game like the others you have seen before. You need a lot of time to set it for your own tastes but you can really do what you want and make the game what you want it to be with addons, mods, etc... don't forget that. If you don't like to customize and tweak a game then better to don't buy it. ArmA2 is strongly supported by their devs and his community is very active, well established and very loyal. I'm not saying that ArmA have no bugs glitches and so on.

Maintain your computer (update, drivers, defrag...) is very important to have good performances too.

NB: I'm a true fan of ofpCWC/RH/R since 2001 I bought ArmA1 and ArmA2. I'm not an hater of ofp dr, I really throught it could be a good game. It's not, then I guess it's time to change for a better community.

cya.

Nikiller.

I quoted my post and not just linked it because I'm sure it'll be deleted.

See you on battlefield.

cu.

Nikiller.

oh yes throw to the bin your " prehistoric" video card and buy the ultimate model in the market that will be usefull only a couple of months until the next videogame come to the stores, then you will have to buy a new one along with a new processor, who cares , life is short !

Well, that's what you get for being interested in PC gaming. Go with consoles if that's too much for you. I'm thinking about replacing my GTX 280 in the next year or so myself, and I've only had it for a year and a half.

I use to chase the latest&greatest video cards out there hoping it would take Arma1+2 to a whole new level but was usually disappointed in modest gains. I swear I had an Nvidia 7900 that out performed an 8800 for Arma1 - still don't know why.

Now I run a 4870 512mb for Arma2 and it runs it fine. I got real noticeable improvement by switching certain files onto a RamDisk and now play the game with huge amounts of units and many specialFx mods.

I think it's because most review sites are sugar coating the game immensely. By people venting more and more of their rage towards the game and the developer, it shows to many that the game is no where near as good as reviews are saying it is. While that will be a very small number of people in comparison, every little helps.

I'd do it just so that I can try to make sure Codemasters make very few sales after release. They don't deserve any money for producing such a shitty game. By voicing the flaws of the game more publicly, it gets it known to more people. Of course, that's a very small number of people, as I said before.

Yes, but I think once is enough, I don't think there's much point in repeating yourself, at least in this thread, where the majority have expressed their feelings towards the game and it's developers. Your prospective buyer should have a clear impression on what we think of the game just by reading half a page some 60 pages back.

The "Queen Bee" in dr is definitely the Chinese AT launcher.

Also, Luhgnut, the xfire stats i'm looking at say ~3000 playing per day, I dont see a "users currently playing" stat?

The graph readout was down below 150.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Since when does Xfire define a games activity? Not everybody uses Xfire and not a lot of people care about Xfire...

not saying it's precise, but does show a trend if 50% of the gaming population use it, and it showed over 20,000 playing on launch day, it still trended down to below currently 150.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

If that's true, great, but if Luhgnut is saying the show is over, then why doesn't he shut the fuck up already and let it end without a bang. You can't point your finger at Polaris or Viiiper going "uuhh, look at them, being biased and wrong, and devout" while doing the same thing.

I paid for the piece of crap. I can say what I want. I didn't say Viiiper and Polaris being devout and I don't give a crap. I posted one comment about Polaris = Kevin Bacon in Animal House "All is well." Since when does that place me as being cynical? I never once pointed my finger at them being biased and wrong. Furthermore, I never even heard of Viiiper until you just posted his name.

I don't comment on those guys, because W0lle got after me for commenting on their forum moderators.

But I guess it's okay for you to post what you want and position, whatever the hell that may be. Since the majority of your 23 posts in this topic consist a one line rebuttal.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

oh yes throw to the bin your " prehistoric" video card and buy the ultimate model in the market that will be usefull only a couple of months until the next videogame come to the stores, then you will have to buy a new one along with a new processor, who cares , life is short !

If it's any consolation the way PC gaming is headed you won't have to upgrade your system nearly half as often as you used to. Fewer and fewer games are coming out for PC that actually require all that power and the rest are console ports made for lesser hardware so they'll be more optimised (in theory) and run on fairly standard rigs these days.

I hate watching all these Dragon Rising videos 'cause it keeps making me want to play this awesome game they keep talking about, but I can't find it anywhere.

heh, PR cheating people

i don't care if CM will sell more than BIS or not

why ?

cause "more popular" not means "better"

look at education among people ?

who knows 2 foreign languages and have MSc ? what percentage ?

5% of population ?

does it mean they are worse ?

or music

easy music made on synth like techno is easy to do (i know DJ)

and thanx to software he make it easy, while for example rock or opera musicians train years, and it is problematic to have some musicians play in one tempo and not miss (i was drummer 3 years)

but does it make such easy 5 minutes and 5 clicks on keyboard music better ?

how many people buy techno/disco and how many Samael, Metallica , Phil Colins, Bethoven/Mozart, Blind Guardian ?

so let kids buy DR and be disappointed :D

time will come and they will say Arma2 rulez :D

or they will stay with "yeaah, ooooh, god, yeaaah, f***, shooter"

I hate watching all these Dragon Rising videos 'cause it keeps making me want to play this awesome game they keep talking about, but I can't find it anywhere.
yeah what was that game in the video? and what game was he talking about? DR= Total Fail.

I wonder if there is a PC version on one of the coders HDDs...and they crapped it a year ago.. Kinda like Ghostrecon2 was "all that" and was in North Korea, then Ubi pulled it and gave what they had made/maps to the Xbox (and went to UT3 engine for console GRAW, and the lame ass Diesil engine and Grin, for PC) So there is still a PC version of GR2 somewhere....and maybe a OPFdr too

Edited by kklownboy