Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Looking forward to the jet aircraft releases! Any ideas on how soon they are likely to be released? (sorry for being the 100000000th person to ask)

As the man says:

When its done...

Seriously though im still sorting the helos.

OK Mini update:

The Eurofighter still needs some cockpit and texture work. BWMod is very kindly helping out on the latter.

The Harrier really is a total mess and needs quite a lot of work to sort. Far more than i first thought.

But The uprated Lynx and Pumas should be out very soon. The Seakings and a completely new Merlin should follow soon after.

There a re few blog/updates due soon too. As Baldrick says: "I have a cunning plan!"

Glad to hear it rock, again sorry for the usual pointless question but im dead excited to use em ingame :P

If theres any modelling work you need doing (if you don't have the time) gimme a shout and i'll be glad to help.

But The uprated Lynx and Pumas should be out very soon. The Seakings and a completely new Merlin should follow soon after.

There a re few blog/updates due soon too. As Baldrick says: "I have a cunning plan!"

Looking forward to it Rock!

Great news rock. Look forward to the high class addons :)

Sneak preview...

rksl_merlin_hc3_wip051a.jpg

Preview #1

Preview #2

Preview #3

Preview #4

Preview #5

Preview #6

Obviously this is still very much WIP. The textures are place holders while we finish the model and features. I'll post a more detailed blog about it soon.

PS WTF is going on with the forums and pics?

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Haha, SWEET!!! :D

Early WIP my balls! Looks good enough to release.

I think i just jizzed myself O.o

That looks awesome!!!!!! I want i want i want!!!!!!

cannot wait rock! nice work!

Haha, SWEET!!! :D

Early WIP my balls! Looks good enough to release.

LMAO I didnt say it was "early wip", although in the grand scheme of things it is a very new model. In fact it is a totally new model.

For various reasons I decided to completely rebuild the old model. Its much closer to the ArmA2 standard now than the ArmA/VBS standard the old model was. Its slightly higher poly than the old one, more accurate in places with a slightly more efficient mesh. It uses 2 textures for the external now but even with that its still only 10 sections in the first and pilot lods.

But it still needs work, a lot of texture work and LoDs before it could be released.

looks fantastic rock! i love merlins

pity when i seen it at an airshow the door fell off :D

Very nice Merlin. (Will there be armed versions?)

Of course. Im going to leave one version withdoors and 2 guns. Then have another version setup for Afghanistan eg: No doors and 3x GMPGs.

You call this a WIP? My god what will the finished product look like? Coated in gold? :D

Gold is just too bling.... maybe platinum? :D

Hopefully its going to look a lot like the real thing. I'm not the greatest 2D artist but im quite happy with how this is working out.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Website back up...

As a few people have noticed the RKSL Website has been down recently. I've done some work to upgrade the backend again. Mostly security fixes but I've taken the opportunity to swap out a few of the older core components for either newer versions or totally new components.

Anyway you'll notice the more obvious changes...

• The theme, its a bit easier on the eyes and should load better on the various browsers out there.
  • The format. I've chosen to swap to a more "news" orientated format. Its easier for people and search engines to read so thats got to be better for everyone.
  • The comments system has been improved. The old one was a bit clunky and didn't have proper BBcode support so we've swapped to a better system.
  • I've also added a copy of the standard RKSL EULA for our addons to the website. This is the basis of all our licences, but please read the ones that come out with the addons. There may be exceptions or caveats.

That's it I think. if you have any questions please ask!

All the best

Rock

-----

Merlin Update April 2010

rksl_merlin_hc3_403.jpg

The Forth generation... well this is custom made for ArmA2. It got a better shape than the old "VBS2" one. It is actually slightly higher poly than the gen2 one and has quite a few more gadgets included:

• Auto/Manual Landing gear toggle
  • Auto/Manual Doors toggle
  • Flight Model Switching* - Switches between "Realistic" and "I'm a whiney baby that cant be arsed to learn to fly" mode. (Yes that is what its called! And it does come up on a display and is shown in the cargo cabin on the forward bulkhead so your passenger know you are a lazy twat)
  • Fully Instrumented cockpit and warnings
  • Dynamic Damage and Warnings
  • Cockpit System Audio Warnings
  • Switchable Copilot Position* - Allows the copilot to take control of the aircraft and vice versa.

And few other things

READ MORE

More Merlin INGAME Pics here.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

• Flight Model Switching* - Switches between "Realistic" and "I'm a whiney baby that cant be arsed to learn to fly" mode. (Yes that is what its called! And it does come up on a display and is shown in the cargo cabin on the forward bulkhead so your passenger know you are a lazy twat)

And few other things

Looks awesome, please show a screenshot of the cargo cabin with the forward bulkhead and the flight models!

Flight Model Switching* - Switches between "Realistic" and "I'm a whiney baby that cant be arsed to learn to fly" mode. (Yes that is what its called! And it does come up on a display and is shown in the cargo cabin on the forward bulkhead so your passenger know you are a lazy twat)

Hehehe, good thing that I only transport AI :p

Flight Model Switching* - Switches between "Realistic" and "I'm a whiney baby that cant be arsed to learn to fly" mode. (Yes that is what its called! And it does come up on a display and is shown in the cargo cabin on the forward bulkhead so your passenger know you are a lazy twat)

You, sir, are a very bad man.

But we like you. :D

Looks fantasic Rock! My most anticipated mod for A2 yet, along with the Seakings and Hawks :)

Edited by Schancky

Looks awesome, please show a screenshot of the cargo cabin with the forward bulkhead and the flight models!

Im not entirely sure how i can show you the "flight models". But here's some WIP pics in Buldozer.

cargospace_wip.jpg

girlywussmode_off.jpg

girlywussmode_on.jpg

girlywussmode_on2.jpg

The flight model switching can only be used on the ground with the engine off. Due to scripting and engine limits. Its activated by a simple action menu toggle in the Aircraft Systems sub menu on the Action Menu.

I've also just been asked via Skype why I've chosen to do this. Since some people believe it is intended to humiliate them... That's the point kids.

My friends and I have spent literally hundreds of hours working with actual real life, honest to goodness air crew to develop a more realistic flight model (in what is really a very limited physics engine for aircraft) and addons as requested. Just to be told by some people that all our efforts are "crap" or "wrong" and it flies like:

1. "A paper aeroplane"

2. "drunken butterfly"

3. "a bicycle" - (Fuck knows where that one came from)

4. "werring yoyo" - (WTF?)

5. "pregnant baboon" - (we can guess what this guy gets up to on his Friday nights)

Well here is the compromise. You can have both flight models. But you will have to suffer the ribbing you get because everyone will know you aren't a good pilot at all. Just an impatient chancer who cant be arsed to take the time to learn to fly the aircraft properly.

I was going to use a set object texture to turn the entire thing pink but I was talked out of it due to MP teamplay issues.

Anyway... its coming soon kids. Learn to fly or get a sense of humour. :D