Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Would You like to see Mumble's LINK - 'open plugin' implemented into ARMA 2?

Would You like to see Mumble Link support implemented into ARMA 2?  

426 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like to see Mumble Link support implemented into ARMA 2?

Making ACRE capable of using mumble would be very cool. As mumble is open source, im sure, it would serve the more stable platform in the long run.

I have to say sorry, i opened a ticket in CIT before i have found this tread, so maybe all who also want to see mumble support in acre can vote in CIT.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17247

The user base for Mumble is just not there for us to support it right now.

We have a fairly close working relationship with the TS3 devs as well and they have been very responsive over the last couple weeks in meeting our requirements.

If it acts as an useful interface, that helps to optimize ACRE: YES (what i votet)

fREAk

+1.

I also voted yes, it's not that i am going to use mumble, but as NouberNou said it could help to make ACRE better, so anything that helps ACRE its really welcome :D.

Yes, while we might not end up using the Mumble platform, having direct memory access to things like positions, including the vectors in which peoples heads are facing would be really nice (especially if we could get the head vectors of other players, that way we could do voice cones, making direct speaking very VERY nice).

ACRE is a pain in the ass for some of my people to get working, Mumble on the otherhand is really easy so I'd like to see Mumble Support.

ACRE is a pain in the ass for some of my people to get working, Mumble on the otherhand is really easy so I'd like to see Mumble Support.

How is it a pain in the ass? You seriously can't install a TS3 plugin and copy a mod folder? The installer even makes shortcuts on your desktop.

This idea that ACRE is a pain in the ass to install only comes from people that are too lazy to do anything manually anymore. Also the FAQ and everything says what to do in case there is an issue with it not working after install (like making sure you are running in administrative mode, making sure you do not have any anti-virus/anti-malware that blocks jayarma2lib).

United Operations, an open community with no membership regularly has 35-40 people playing a night using ACRE with no problem, and there are some seriously, SERIOUSLY, slow people that play there.

Also mumble support would not be the same as ACRE, you'd get direct speaking but radios would not be in it, leaving people like Jaynus and I to still have to cover that, still require JayArmA2Lib (cause mumble link wouldn't supply everything we need from the ArmA2 engine) and probably still be a pain for you to install (because you are probably lazy).

ACRE is extremely buggy and unstable. It constantly crashes and takes TS3 with it.

Simple as that.

ACRE is extremely buggy and unstable. It constantly crashes and takes TS3 with it.

Simple as that.

No, TS3 is unstable. Thats why they are rewriting their entire sound system. ACRE just happens to expose a lot of bugs in TS3.

The reason being is that the TS3 devs did not account for the thread safety of the FMOD sound library, and in turn it causes a lot of issues, especially when using ACRE where we have our own threads on top of TS3 that are competing for access to the same resources (TS3 does not properly get rid of the resources in a thread safe manner).

If you set the CPU affinity to 1 in TS3 almost all your crash problems will go away.

Again, not ACRE's fault, TS3s fault.

Unless you are making comments about a version of ACRE thats older than 1.0? But you wouldn't be silly enough to do that, would you?

I always use the latest version of TS3, jayarmalib and ACRE available.

The problem is Arma2TS somehow wasn't exposing all those bugs of TS3.

In my clan we played with A2TS quite a lot and nobody ever complained about anything crashing. With ACRE crashes happen for half of the people.

In my clan we played with A2TS quite a lot and nobody ever complained about anything crashing. With ACRE crashes happen for half of the people.

Yea, and A2TS had how many features compared to ACRE?

And if you think A2TS is some how more stable than ACRE I can guarantee you that the developers of A2TS would gladly say it isn't (seeing that they are in our Skype channel). :p

While we all have thrown more than a few examples of our.. colourful language at ACRE when it hasn't been playing ball, when it does it's the nuts and then some, and its reliability increases with every update as of late

@Dwarden: ... this poll is open for over approx 16 month now,

... is this project still on your Radar?

fREAk

A2TS would cease to work after 30-40 minutes of play with more than 20-25 people and would straight up not work at all with more than that. It also didn't have realistic radios that need to manipulate the audio stream for effects (thats one of the big reasons TS3 crashes is that when gaining ahold of the audio stream it doesn't properly release it in a threadsafe way, why TS3 devs are writing their own system instead of figuring out how to make FMOD threadsafe for them), nor did it tie into the TS3 network to minimize bandwidth usage (dynamic muting) which was causing some servers to totally crash out.

Again, we did have a number of issues as we started, but since 1.0 and now really since 1.1.1 we have almost negated all OUR crashes. The only crash that exists still, and it is a COMMON CRASH is the thread racing in TS3.

The user base for Mumble is just not there for us to support it right now.

I'm pretty sure that if Acre would work well with mumble, the user base would increase.

It looks like you would already have 350+ users with mumble, at least the poll shows that.

It would also be very cool to have the plugin layer swappable, so everyone can choose TS3 or mumble like he wishes.

My Squad uses Mumble and Murmur. WE LOVE it.

Mumble\murmur Open Source. + + + Fully configurable and no limits.

Team Speak 3 is a purchase to use. - - - I remember WHEN....

After reading this thread though I am seriously interested in ACRE.

It sounds Amazing.

I second the question fREAK asked above.

Is this a go or no go?

+ for mumble support.

I would bet that the upcoming PR:ARMA2 would like this as option as well.

PR does it well in BF2:

Only 1 Official PR Mumble server which has channel for each server. This way you always contact to the same server and just join that PR-server's channel that you were playing on.

Would it be better to have VON labels that Modders can use and edit directly..... just to keep the Comms Mods in the game. Don't get me wrong... I love ACRE but it would of been nice to have the ability to alter / MOD the in-game VON to that extent. Reason is that the player obviously has the game...but not everyone uses/likes Teamspeak or Mumbles... and BIS have provided the ability to MOD just about everything... So this may just be a small oversight... :)

While I know that the OP meant an implementation done within the game itself I would like to point your attention to a mod project that I have started. It will hopefully bring what this thread seeks: support for mumble's link plugin

I still could use some technical help if you are knowledgeable and interested:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135701-WIP-Mod-for-Mumble-s-link-plugin

nice try as 'workaround' and i applaud You for that

yet native implementation would be ideal :)

until that happens keep working :)

The in-game VON sucks, sorry but it does, and it lags the server. ACRE is over-board for me. I would really just appreciate some simple positional audio support for a proper VOIP server like mumble. Mumble provides an open api to link in with it. Don't see why it has taken so long and still no support. And why are people voting no? You want less features? Or do you just want to force everyone to use the laggy in-game VON or ACRE?

Edited by ssechaud