dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

I had forest fires working fine in arma 1.04, domination 1.03

I'm fine tuning 'tactical forest fires' :) with a little skill and a lot of luck, you can take down AI using forest fire.

Mind you, I am still using the last testing beta, I really should get to the final version.

I know its a bit Offtopic,but LostKey 1.4 is not working for me,is that a problem with CBA also?

Got this in rpt (only started with CBA and JTD):

Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry birdscube) not found in the list of active addons.

Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry firemarkervis) not found in the list of active addons.

Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry firemarkervis) not found in the list of active addons.

Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry birdscube) not found in the list of active addons.

Error in expression <

_rubbing = _rubbingV + ((((random 1)-0.5))/10);

_ParticleRate>

Error position: <+ ((((random 1)-0.5))/10);

_ParticleRate>

Error Generic error in expression

Otherwise JTD works (with small fps drop). Waiting for next release with the option to make the fireparticles bit more red. :)

Could FFAR's and HE ammo have a chance of starting a fire? Not really asking you to do that im just curious if that would be possible.

Thanks for the .rpt lines NR.

@Alex: ordnance ignition is something I'd like to add eventually. Say satchel charges & the like, for deliberately smoking out enemy :)

I'll be needing the config entries for the relevant ordnances, as I'm not really expert in the technical matters of military explosives or indeed where in the ArmA2 configs they could be :)

Edited by DMarkwick

The situation seems a little muddy yet, but it seems that 1.04 breaks some things for some people and not for others. It might be CBA centric or it might not. It might be useful to post game origin (Steam, 505 etc) and any .rpt errors you might be getting.

fixed, I don't know which mod was causing it but disabled all and enabled one at a time, all working. Thanks.

The situation seems a little muddy yet, but it seems that 1.04 breaks some things for some people and not for others. It might be CBA centric or it might not. It might be useful to post game origin (Steam, 505 etc) and any .rpt errors you might be getting.

I've got Steam 1.04 and no issues.

@Alex: ordnance ignition is something I'd like to add eventually. Say satchel charges & the like, for deliberately smoking out enemy :)

I'll be needing the config entries for the relevant ordnances, as I'm not really expert in the technical matters of military explosives or indeed where in the ArmA2 configs they could be :)

Wow sounds interesting! Im wondering if FFAR's etc do cause fires at times. Need to investigate that a bit. Im seeing myself pounding tons of rockets into vegetated areas and seeing one or two of them ignite some bush or something. :) Should be very seldom, but very cool hehe.

If using white phosphorous rockets I can imagine there's big enough risk of start of fire to include it. For HE however I would think the risk is very, very small.

I don't have any statistics to back up my claims though, so could very well be wrong. Just seems like the most reasonable to me.

If using white phosphorous rockets I can imagine there's big enough risk of start of fire to include it. For HE however I would think the risk is very, very small.

I don't have any statistics to back up my claims though, so could very well be wrong. Just seems like the most reasonable to me.

HE rounds are more like a grenade in that they are designed to be explosive, not incendiary. You're right about them not usually causing fires, but I've started a fire with even an M18 before in dry grassland, so anything's possible.

After installing 1.04 I still get fires and some of the smole effects. but the smoke looks too much like the vanilla smoke. moves too fast and doesnt rise as far. Is there ar fix??

Ugh... Arma renders smoke so poorly.

I registered the smoke rendering as a bug before but it was downgraded to a feature request.

I never feel as if I'm in the smoke - it vanishes as soon as you get close. The problem's severe enough that it actually becomes a tactical issue (I can see you whilst standing in your smoke cover, you can't see me).

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/3995

I see it's somewhat related to your bug.

Nice work on the mod, Arma just can't handle it.

Well, I guess I should describe it as a mid-to-far effect, as you say getting close introduces some weirdness.

Well, I guess I should describe it as a mid-to-far effect, as you say getting close introduces some weirdness.

With Patch 1.03 it was beautiful. now with 1.04 I can see the vanilla smoke (barf) and some faint bits of your smoke. The flames are not as big and move too fast as does the smoke. DMarkwick are you aware of 1.04 messing up your smoke? MJ

iv'e personally noticed zero change from 1.03 to 1.04 (steam version). The fire and smoke seem to behave and look exactly the same as before, so I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about. can you guys post screenies if there is a visual difference?

I am going to dupe my install before patching to 1.04, for fear of losing this precious smoke.

Dude I am uninstalling and only patching up to 1.03 until there is a fix. This smoke is too important!!

It's still unclear what's going on, but enough people have reported unaffected smoke to make me think something else is at fault. However, I can tell you that the last beta patch before 1.04 worked perfectly, and also fixed a lot of problems along the way, almost a 1.04 patch in itself.

I haven't noticed any difference at all. I'm playing with multiple AddOns as well so there's no conflict I've seen. There's gotta be something else going on. Get a screen shot so we can see the difference. Are you still using the shortcut from the beta's? that's all I can think of with some more detail.

Maybe i said it before, but i tested some more now also with a lot of addons and i have no change in this addon. I think the smoke can be very varied though isnt it? Its not the same smoke everytime something burns.

Looks and works the same for my anyway. No problemos.

I haven't noticed any difference at all. I'm playing with multiple AddOns as well so there's no conflict I've seen. There's gotta be something else going on. Get a screen shot so we can see the difference. Are you still using the shortcut from the beta's? that's all I can think of with some more detail.

I never installed the beta. Will get some screens tonight to post up here.

Hmmm. I think I may have just run into the same thing. I got a few screen shots. I'm also playing with some AddOns so this could very well be a conflict. Are you playing with others? Which ones?

Some screens:

http://img197.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=jtdv104test1.jpg

Also. It seems now there's something left in the mission.sqm.

"jtd_fireandsmoke"

Maybe this was there before but I do not remember ever dealing with it in the past when I tested other things with JTD off and with missions I've saved when JTD was in use.

Edited by Manzilla

Hi DMarkwick,

i have a question. Would it be possible to release some kind of stand-alone of the birds?

People on our server mostly cant use your fire/smoke-effects because of their hardware, but they love the birdsfear effect.

I know that it's possible to disable the fire & smoke and just run the birds, but even so it would be lovely to have it as a stand alone. :)

MfG, Medicus

For now you can turn off the smoke no? Im not 100% sure as im not home. I guess you checked that already, but the forest fire OFF and smoke time etc can be set down.

might be solution for now.

I havent come across that cloudlett bug?? After some more testing I think it may be just my imagination. :o But Im sure something changed they "feel" different.