Sign in to follow this  
Raunhofer

The best way to add roads?

Hi,

I'm working with my first island with Visitor 3 for ARMA2.

Now comes the part when I should start adding the roads. How it is done, in ARMA2? Do I need to place the road objects manually (very time consuming) or is there more easier way to do it?

If there is, please, could you tell me how?

Edited by Raunhofer

Nothing much changed since A1 times, so I recommend you to take a look at Allie's tutorials on how to add Road types (menu Tools>Roads) and then you'll have couple of weeks fun with placement: block by block, apply, check, rinse & repeat :)

Hi all,

I dont know if the way i described it in my manual(part 6) is still the valid way to go guys.

Is there no senior member who knows ?

I read somewhere that for Arma2 the road laying is done different, some to do with "drive lanes" ?????

If however the way i used is still valid then here is the roadlaying document cleaned out of any else:

ftp://ftp.fraghaus.com/arma/satpics/VisitorRC3v2ROADS.pdf

And dont give up, keep trying :)

Later,

Alphons

NOTE: I used for this tutorial arma1 !!!, For Arma2 you will pick your road parts from the "roads2" folder !!!

Edited by Alliexx

-Roads2- are just giving me a error which says: "Object doesn't follow requirements for road object. (Are there all named points present?)"

Why's that?

And -Roads- doesn't have textures,.

* fixed

Edited by Raunhofer

Nothing much changed since A1 times, so I recommend you to take a look at Allie's tutorials on how to add Road types (menu Tools>Roads) and then you'll have couple of weeks fun with placement: block by block, apply, check, rinse & repeat :)

There is a much much much easier way then your suggested method. As I've noted in previous threads, Global Mapper is ideal for Visitor3/4 use, in GM you simply use the draw tool and create point to point lines to draw out the roads, just click point click point click point, etc until you have your roads drawn out then once exported from GM properly Visitor will automatically generate the roads along those paths as if they are masks. Now of course this method is much easier using LandBuilder but it's still possible without.

GM you simply use the draw tool and create point to point lines to draw out the roads, just click point click point click point, etc until you have your roads drawn out then once exported from GM properly Visitor will automatically generate the roads along those paths as if they are masks.

What format GM exports, which Visitor3 reads then?

Are you saying that with GM you can create roads really in "no time" without any fuss?

GM exports XYZ and many many other formats and is the primary tool included in the VBS2 toolset for mapping. The time consuming part about adding roads is adding "lots" of roads on a large scale map.

Global Mapper is available for purcahse and/or free trial download. It also includes online data downloading to quick and easy access to dted data and other imagery.

http://www.globalmapper.com/?gclid=CNmFpu376ZwCFSkHswod3U9ujQ

XYZ is terrain format, we were talking about roads.

I have no clue how to import something to visitor which would be ready to be use roads or that it would somehow generate them. That information I'm looking for here.

Hi,

I'm confused here, what are you talking about.

You can create roads with external program ????

Then when you import that into visitor it automatic puts the right road parts(objects) onto your drawing ??

I read something about vbs tools??

Tell us more , show us more please.

I think we are not on the same level here, but please explain more.

Later,

Allie

So I wonder why we get such pathetic tools to use, its an absolute joke.

Does this tool come for free, or at least are we able to use the free version to place roads?

Thank you,

alphons

Hi, another way to make roads is in \ Modify road popup \ import the road net from .txt

of course , u should create this archive from an existing road network, but you can edit it like a text and agree or delete road parts , then you can import the road net and place manually on v3.

about the texture i can not say too much the data folder that is in X:\Ca have to be pasted in P:\ca, anyway i still have problems whit some roads textures

SgtAce: you just had to show me this didn't you? My morale using V3 now goes down the drain for tonight :)

Marek already stated the V4 is still in dev and they have a several people dedicated only

to that tool. Do you really believe you get everything spoon feed for free while others

have to pay a lot of money for it. Funny people you are...

Err... we're making this for free for the community and our squadbuddies to enjoy with us. Its not like its out job and we get $$$ from it :) maybe we can actually *pay* for new tools if that would speed up the release of new visitor? ;)

Spoon fed.... I payed for this game, 3 copies, and you think its ok too pay again for "better" tools. Thats spoon fed is it? To have absolutely no doumentation whatsoever from BIS, thats spoon fed is it? To get second rate tools and a game that was buggy as heck, thats spoon fed is it?

Its so late now, i wasted a complete Saturday on a height map, and only because i'm "fed up" with the only one island we have to play on.

I'm playing this game since it first came out, i'm trying to contribute to the community with as much as i can.

OFP had it all for me, i played the campain for a couple of weeks, played with a clan for over a year doing only clan matches on CTF maps, after that i discovered the editor and started to make missions once every day, from that i came to the next fase of OFP playing, new clan new games, All realistic coop missions against AI. Death and you had to wait to next game.

We had a lott off different islands to play with, a lot of surroundings.

The "modding" community really came to live at that moment, complete conversion mods showed up giving you again a whole new experience feel to the game. There was no end to the possibilities of that game, Winter settings, Jungle wars, Oh man i wish we had so much to pick from these days :(.

Some times i really think its a bit unfair, i mean they let the community figure out the details while they only once have figured out the engine, they releas sneaky money making Expansions packs, which you MUST have otherwise your friends abandon you, or worse you can not play anywhere online anymore.

I do understand the seriousness of this "game" in other levels of there customers, but come on, a little more help......

Good night i'm off, for a while, i will be back, theres still only one game, but it might be some time, next time i buy this game when it is in a sellout.

Alphons

Time to check the BIKI if you want documentation.

V4 is made for the military, not for you. You can turn it as you like, that's how it is.

It is your decision to make worlds. They are a company that need to make money

for a living.

the thread goes offtopic.........

The Road building is a problem since/after ofp/WrpEdit in my eyes. Bad that noone ever createt a WrpEdit similiar Road tool.

Im not familiar with this stuff but wouldent it be possible to create a tool that can atleast draw some roads and export them into a roadnetwork.txt?

PS: (And stop whining about the tools its really not BIs Job to fully support the tools in any way be happy that we got anything,

remeber how long it took till tools came out for a1.)

Edited by Atsche

So why not use WrpEdit and simple port over the data, import it into v3?

And stop whining about the tools its really not BIs Job to fully support the tools in any way be happy that we got anything,

What a dumb arse comment.

-Roads2- are just giving me a error which says: "Object doesn't follow requirements for road object. (Are there all named points present?)"

Why's that?

And -Roads- doesn't have textures,.

Ensure you are using the Visitor that got released for ArmA2, it has the right roads within it that are useable, if you extract the actual roads2.pbo and use that it will not work...

The Road building is a problem since/after ofp/WrpEdit in my eyes. Bad that noone ever createt a WrpEdit similiar Road tool.

I don't even remember how WRPEdit did the roads, can you refresh my memory how was it done?

Ensure you are using the Visitor that got released for ArmA2, it has the right roads within it that are useable, if you extract the actual roads2.pbo and use that it will not work...

Dont overwrite the existing Road p3ds in p:/ca/roads2 when you copy the content from the roads2.pbo :). Otherwise you loose your mlods. (solution for fix is to reinstall the BIs Drive from the Toolsuite so the mlods get copied again)

I don't even remember how WRPEdit did the roads, can you refresh my memory how was it done?

Almost the same like it is in Visitor but more conform

Edited by Atsche