luki

Simple ArmA 2 Terrain Tutorial

Hey,

The tutorial is not from BIS, its more a collection of infos alredy present and a Guide for Beginners. Did you followed the steps in the tutorial? You are complaining about some cfgs and mask problems from the tut map, but your working on another map? So please clarify exactly what you mean and where your problems are.

Thanks buddy,

Let's see:

1º.- When coming to Tools -> Import Satellite + Mask following exactly instructions I can't get the photo like view coming from the Sat pict (within Visitor3).

2º.- Running Bulldozer is the only way I can see the sat drawings (i.e.: airport grounds, some traced paths and things like that).

3°.- In Visitor 3 I tried all and every possible view but still no pict seems to be imported at all... :confused:

Then you should take a look at the Visitor 3 Tutorial (referenced at the bottom of SimpleArmA2TerrainTutorial)

Your searching for the Background Image

Edited by Atsche

Then you should take a look at the Visitor 3 Tutorial (referenced at the bottom of SimpleArmA2TerrainTutorial)

Your searching for the Background Image

Awesome!!!! :yay:

It did the trick !!!

And you made my day :D

I'm running into the maplegend.png error as well.

I've checked my path to the maplegend.png and it seems to be correct:

O:\BIS TOOLS 2\ArmAWork\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source

(where ArmAWork is the virtual P drive)

This is what my layers.cfg file looks like:

class Layers

{

class sm_grass

{

texture = "tut\tut_samplemap\data\sm_grass_mco.png";

material= "tut\tut_samplemap\data\sm_grass.rvmat";

};

};

class Legend

{

picture="TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source\mapLegend.png";

class Colors

{

sm_grass[]={{255,255,255}};

};

};

This is what I have in the project preferences for Textures:

tut\tut_samplemap\data

I've tried troubleshooting the filenames and pathes, but I can't seem to find the issue.

Please help =)

That chunk you posted looks fine as far as I can remember Mustang...

the maplegend.png error as well.

Can you give a fuller description of the actual error you're getting... you've triplechecked that the file actually IS where it's meant to be?

B

I had that issue once... unrecognized maplegend.png...

Try to restart PC ... as far as I can remember that worked for me... never knew what was the problem

EDIT: NOV.1st.2010

During a time I had a problem related to proper use of BINpbo.exe cause I was following too literally this tutorial.

I mean that I mentioned as the "project source" folder that related to \DATA folder exclusively, and thus I got a non working data.pbo file.

Since I realised that the project source was related to path directory regarding my whole project (both Data and Source folders) I could resolve the binarizing problem...

So, where this tutorial points to "data" folder at BINpbo we must understand that data is not excluding other folders pertaining to our current project...

Example:

Addon Source directory

P:\MyTAG\MyMapProject

Where

MyTAG = My Space Name folder

MyMapProject = My terrain name folder containing "data" and "source" and .wrp file as stated by BIS folder structure

Edited by Robster

Ok, right. Dont know really.

I´m a bit confused about Setting up my P:\ drive and its folders using the terrain tutorial or allix guide.

1- I have a P:\

2- Inside I create my tag folder:

P:\STR\

3- Then I extract from Arma2\Addons\ a file called plants2_Bush.pbo using <Open with> ExtractPbo and a new folder is created:

Arma2\Addons\plants2_Bush

4- Then, I rename this folder to just Bush\ and move it to a newly created folder under P:\CA called plants2

P:\CA\plants2\Bush

5- Curiously and confused enough, inside this extracted Bush\ there are many repetitive folders:

P:\CA\plants2\Bush\ca\plants2\bush

and inside the last bush folder;

Data\ and a few .p3d files

Question:

Is the folder structure above correct?

or should I ignore the first ...\CA\plants2\Bush and move from the 2nd repetition?

P:\CA\plants2\bush

and then inside:

...\Data\ and those .p3d files?

Seems you're doing everything right - just being confused by this bit...

Curiously and confused enough, inside this extracted Bush\ there are many repetitive folders:

P:\CA\plants2\Bush\ca\plants2\bush

and inside the last bush folder;

Data\ and a few .p3d files

Not sure why thats happening - some sort of glitch during the depbo procedure... it shouldn't do that... what tool are you using?

In any case you're right on track... Yes - that "plants2_" bit needs removed and all the folders reassembled inside a "plants2" folder - just as you say...

P:\CA\Plants2\...

and inside...

Tree

Bush

Clutter

Plants

Misc

... inside each of these - the .p3d models, plus a "Data" folder with the textures...

B

No probs... looks like you figured out what was happening yourself anyway... that plants2 folder is a little nonstandard... the ind_cementworks is another one that needs a slight folder rearrangement if I remember correctly... all the rest should just be straight unpacking...

I use Kegetys Cpbo - from the ArmA Tools package myself, but whatever depbo tool you prefer is fine - just watch out for it doing something unexpected like above...

B

Ok, so I´ve finished the Tutorial, but when running BinPBO, after setting it up as stated by the tutorial, and running the prog, it soon crashes.

Following is the logfile located at @TUT\TUT_Samplemap

Curiously, Arma2 Tools are installed my old ARMA2_OA folder at Program Files (x86), which was then uninstalled when I freshly installed Arma2 and Arma2_OA to Program Files.

Should I reinstall BIS Tools, this time setting its path to Program Files?

Cannot load font core\data\fonts\lucidaconsoleb8

Fonts file \core\data\fonts\lucidaConsoleB8 not found

Cannot load font core\data\fonts\lucidaconsoleb11

Fonts file \core\data\fonts\lucidaConsoleB11 not found

<world = "p:\tut\tut_samplemap\TUT_SampleMap.wrp">

Cannot open object core\default\default.p3d

Cannot open object core\skyobject\skyobject.p3d

Cannot load font core\data\fonts\tahomab16

Fonts file \core\data\fonts\tahomab16 not found

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.Weather'.

No entry '.Overcast'.

No entry '.Lighting'.

No weather defined in .Overcast

No lighting defined in .Lighting

No entry '.ThunderboltNorm'.

No entry '.model'.

'/' is not a value

Cannot open object

No entry '.soundFar'.

Size: '/' not an array

No entry '.soundNear'.

No entry '.ThunderboltHeavy'.

No entry '.model'.

'/' is not a value

No entry '.soundFar'.

No entry '.soundNear'.

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.midDetailTexture'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.seaTexture'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.Rain'.

No entry '.texture'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.seaMaterial'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.shoreMaterial'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.shoreFoamMaterial'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.shoreWetMaterial'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.terrainMaterial'.

'/' is not a value

Cannot load material file .

Cannot load material file

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.clouds'.

[]: '/' not an array

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.clouds'.

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.clutterGrid'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.clutterDist'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.noDetailDist'.

'/' is not a value

No entry 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/TUT_SampleMap.fullDetailDist'.

'/' is not a value

Cannot open object ca\plants2\clutter\c_autumn_flowers.p3d

Shouldn't the tutorial remind people to move the ca folder out from their namespace before pbo'ing?

Shouldn't the tutorial remind people to move the ca folder out from their namespace before pbo'ing?

And I'd say, shouldnt this tut remind people that using NamedSpace is not nessisary and potentially can cause problems.

Put you projects in the root of P drive.

And if you have too many projects, just drag-drop shelved projects into an archive subdirectory when your not using them.

Moving to A2OA maps like making and have a noob question...

Which are the folders I have to move to p:CA\ When I do:

p:\CA> xcopy *.bin p:\MYTAGNAME\ca\

Do I need folders such as "characters_e" or "sounds" for map making???

I know this sounds soo newbie so don't bother

AFAIK some of these bin files are needed for proper ladders and doors configuration but I want to know if all files are indeed needed or I may exclude some of them with no further failures on finished (binarized) map...

Hope someone helps!!!

Cheers!

Hey Robster,

I'm not sure if you need the newer .bin files for OA things to work right. (at least the buildings I've tested w/ladders that are OA, they worked with older .bin) Heres a quick image from an ODOL conversion folder, these folders have most everything you could use in/on a map from OA. And you would want inside your CA folder of course..

oa_folders.PNG

Just quick hook here for me ....

When i want to use OA plants,objects and stuff, whatmustbe the structure?

I would create all folders like in Gnome_AS screenshot but in what folder do they belong?

Vanilla ArmA2 stuff needs to go into P:/ca/ etc....

ArmA2 OA needs to go into P:/ .... ?

Sry for that dumb question.

While trying to Import Satellite & Mask I get an error.

I load the layers

I load the sat_lco

I load the mask_lco

and then I get an error: Cannot load satellite map. Segment in texels (long code I didnt want to type out CAN IF NEEDED"

what am I doing wrong? thanks

If Prowlers advice doesn't work - might be best to type out that whole error code.. but paths and/or wrong image format are by far the most common mistakes - so check all of that first...

B

Check paths in your rvmats, and layers.cfg for start. Then make sure you are using 8-bit for your sat and mask png's.

where do I go to change to 8bit?

thanks

Hi guys

I'm having some problems with this tutorial. I tried it some months back, and I remember getting it to work just fine.

Now I am finally ready to start my own project and I just hit the wall with it. After having tried various cell sizes, checked and tripple checked all entries, I went back to this excellent tutorial, just to make sure. This had to work, so I thought.

I have now been trying about 10 times, following everything down to the letter, but as with my own project, I always end at this:

Arm_A2_OA_2011_01_20_20_16_17_03.jpg

So just for good measure, here is what I have done, step by step as stated by the tutorial:

Download a fresh copy, unzip and directory is as follows:

Step1.png

I open Visitor3 and Starts New Project. Grid size 512, cell size 10M:

step2.png

Open Calculator and enters 5120 as image size, then "Apply proposed":

step3.png

So it looks like this. Clicks "OK":

step4.png

Picture limit reached. I'll just continue, sorry for this "spamming".

Checking Tools/System Preferences:

step5.png

Modifying Tools/Project Preferences acc. to tutorial:

Step6.png

Changing Texture Size, under the "edit" button" in Tools/Project Parameters:

step7.png

So it ends up looking like this:

step8.png

Now I'm importing the terrain from picture, no big deal, and it shows nicely. I now import the sat+mask textures and remember to save .rvmats as text as described in the tutorial:

step9.png

It finishes importing the textures, and now i launch Buldozer. Everything looks fine:

step10.jpg

I alt+tab back into Visitor where I export the map. I name it TUT_SampleMap.wrp, and the resulting export is situated in the main directory:

step11.png

Time to binarize! I open BinPBO and set it up as described:

step12.png

Under "options" I enter the following (and deletes the .wrp in the top line):

step13.png

I choose pack, and everything proceedes well. I get a tut_samplemap.pbo and the log file.

I launch Arma2 with the .pbo loaded and it shows in the editor and all. When I enter the error code as shown in the 1st post appears and the program crashes.

I have not altered any files along the way, and will include the config.cpp file here for good measure:

class CfgPatches

{

class TUT_SampleMap

{

units[] = {TUT_SampleMap};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 1.03;

requiredAddons[] = {"Utes"};

version = "2009-9-1";

fileName = "TUT_SampleMap.pbo";

author = "SgtAce";

mail = "Sgt.Ace@web.de";

};

};

class CfgWorlds

{

class CAWorld;

class Utes: CAWorld

{

class Grid;

class DefaultClutter;

};

class TUT_SampleMap: Utes

{

description = "Tutorial Sample Map";

worldName= "\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\TUT_SampleMap.wrp";

pictureShot = "\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\data\SM_Picture_ca.paa";

centerPosition[] = {2720,2462,500};

seagullPos[] = {2720,2462,500};

longitude = 30; // positive is east, in degrees?

latitude = -45; // positive is south, in degrees?

class Clutter

{

#include "cfgClutter.hpp"

};

class Names

{

#include "TUT_SampleMap.hpp"

};

};

};

class CfgWorldList

{

class TUT_SampleMap {};

};

class CfgMissions

{

class Cutscenes

{

class TUT_SampleMapIntro

{

directory = "TUT\TUT_SampleMap\data\scenes\Intro.TUT_SampleMap";

};

};

};

//SURFACES

#include "cfgSurfaces.hpp"

I just can't figure this one out! I have been trying everything (I think:confused:) and I don't want to quit on this!

Please any help would be welcome!