R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Afaik the SSD has to be in ACHI mode to work. You might have to do some register edit in the Win7 to make this work. I think arma site is not the right place for this kind of problem. Try google instead. Or rather the forum of the ssd manufacturer. You can't be the only one with this problem.

Open Controlpanel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

Do you see it there?

Dorph;2134380']Open Controlpanel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

Do you see it there?

OK, problem resolved, except....I updated a few things:

Went from Win7x32 to Win7x64

Kept the 4GB RAM

Installed the Win7 and ArmaCO onto the 60GB SSD.

Started the game and WOOOOOW!! It started up in 5 seconds. I swear, no lie. 5 seconds!

Loaded "The Forgotten Few" and "Zub" with BlastCore, JTD, JTDFlies, CopyMyStance, JSRS 1.4 and FullNVGoggles and had no lag problems.

SSD, baby!

Well actualy I just use diskeeper 11 and have been using it since the last reinstallation of windows and I got no stuttering or lag but yea upgrading to an SSD for arma is the only real fix.

Hi.

I use Ultimate Defrag v.3 and it those a very good job.

Windows 7 should automatically be keeping everything defragmented. Shouldn't need to use a third-party utility.

I also read that AMD processors seem to perform better with ArmA 2 even synthetic benchmarks say otherwise.

I have a 2500k @ 4.5ghz still being bottlenecked

Windows 7 should automatically be keeping everything defragmented. Shouldn't need to use a third-party utility.

It doesnt do the job properly. You can check urself. First run windows7 defrag and after that analyze the hdd with 3rd party app.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

I also read that AMD processors seem to perform better with ArmA 2 even synthetic benchmarks say otherwise.

I have a 2500k @ 4.5ghz still being bottlenecked

Not sure if u are sarcastic or not cos smileys are missing.

But in any case, that is wrong information and real life tests prove otherwise (+ personal experience);

http://www.behardware.com/articles/842-20/amd-fx-8150-and-fx-6100-bulldozer-arrives-on-am3.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/9

Hi Guys,

I have this problem with ARMA 2 Combined ops which it took so long to load. For example to launch the game itself took me about 1 to 2 minutes, maybe more. After the splash screen it took another few minutes for the main menu to actually appear. Once menu appear it took some time also before i can actually move the mouse. once that all done.. i can go select a mission or go into server and that wont take that long. FPs wise and graphic wise are all great once in game. But once i, for example press ESC to go to Pause menu, or M to go to Map. this will take about at least 30 sec to maybe 1min to load(move mouse). After Map is loaded?, i want to get back to 1st person view, this will also take time to load!!. I just dont understand what is the problem and it is very annoying.

I tried defrag( Windows default,ultimate defrag etc) , also tried to move it to a SSD but this does not solve it. What i did that seems to work is do a windows checkdisk on boot overnight before i went to sleep. next morning i lauch arma and it took few seconds to load! Map, main menu , pause menu all load at and instant. I Thought i solve the problem but no. After i shutdown/restart my PC when im not using my comp, the next time start up my PC again and want to run ARMA2 . Same problem happen again. It does not make sense that i need to run checkdisk eveytime i want to run ARMA and this does not happen to other games that i have.

Mobo: Intel X58 Express Chipset

CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Processor

RAM: 12GB DDR3 SDRAM

GPU: GTX 680 x2

PSU: 1250Watts

My ARMA2 and Operation Arrowhead is the DVD version.

I Hope someone can help me with this. Please :(

Edited by lovaklobak

I know my game is still bottlenecked i can hardly play premade BIS scenarios or campaigns because my frame rate is 10-25 fps but usually around 15.

Specs are in my signature under the spoiler tag.

Guess if I finally updated my CPU i would be able to pull a constant 30fps. 0_0

@lovaklobak tell me if im wrong here but your running w7 64 on a normal mechanical drive and you currently have ARMA 2/oa etc on an ssd i would recommend having ARMA 2 and os on same disk if possible or at least on seperate ssd's, i have run ARMA2 off a 5400rpm drive and it ran ok just took a decade to load maps etc but ssd is a much smoother ride if installed correctly. I have done pretty much the same thing in the past as yourself with poor results but now have my operating system on one ssd and ARMA 2/oa etc on my larger ssd. Worth noting that small system tweaks can help a little if your willing to play around with your settings, i have used some of these to generally sharpen up my pc and customise it...takes a little common sense really so use at your own risk but i found all this of great help to me after much searching... also gamebooster by iobit absolutely free... a friend introduced it to me a couple of years ago it's great. Your system sounds pretty neat and no way it should take that long to kick up ARMA 2... It takes my pc about 8-12 seconds max to get into arma and about 20-30 max to boot into windows. Are you on the latest arma 2/oa patch?? Tried messing with your ARMA2OA.cfg?? Tried installing different Graphic's drivers? A lot of this is very much trial and error but it's worth it when it goes right.

system tweaks w7:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

Gamebooster 3

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

@KrIxXuS My ARMA is actually at the moment in the same mechanical drive as my Win7. I actually just bought the SSD few weeks ago just to try reinstall it there to solve this problem but the problem still there. At first i thought the problem was the hard drive cause my normal HD is almost full which is about 70-90gb left of 200++. My ARMA patch is the latest and i didn't mess with the .cfg file. Graphic driver is just the normal latest Nvidia driver. It just does not make sense to me. Once map loaded and im in game, everything looks good, no freeze or video problem, FPS is great. just that it take time load ARMA at the start , the Map in game, and also the Gear load-out menu when i press G in game. Imagine you need to wait 30-60 sec before you can actually move your mouse when u want to work on the Gear load-out.

Almost bought another copy of ARMA combined ops on Steam out of anger just like how i bought the SSD cause i thought the CD version is the problem lol. Like my new SSD, i afraid that would not solve the problem and im wasting my money.

At the moment i feel ARMA is the problem cause other games runs perfectly. Anyway, Will try re-install ARMA again on the SSD later and do some tweaks from there.

anyone have having the same problem?

Edited by lovaklobak
add in detail

If the ssd is large enough just install ARMA and the operating system on the ssd and then use the old installation of win 7 for all your other games apps etc...then apply your tweaks... . It wont really do any good having your operating system on a mechanical drive and running ARMA off the ssd, i have tried this already and i personally had lame results not saying it wont work just saying your defeating the object of having the ssd. All my games run fine on a normal drive but when it comes to ARMA it's a beast and very demanding. I would say a 60 gb drive would be enough to get everything you need on plus mods if required, as for space on your other drive i really cant say... i have two externals for things i want to keep like pics, music, documentary's i even keep all my old ARMA patches and ati drivers on there.

The ARMA.cfg is a great way to customize your game but you need to sort the load times out first....if i had your pc in front of me my eye's would be bleeding until i found a solution :-).

EDIT** More links for you:

startup parameters.. to use these right click on ARMA 2 OA exe and go to properties... from there add these to your target line example off my pc: "F:\ArmA 2\Bohemia Interactive\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -world=empty

-nosplash will skip the splash screens at start -world=empty game will load up faster (with these options i get about 1 or 2 seconds difference loading arma 2 up from the click of the exe.)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

arma 2 cfg link:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg

Keep us posted and let me know how you get on ;-)

Regard's

KrIxXuS

Edited by KrIxXuS

I posted a thread but I suppose this type of thing is supposed to be in here.

I have a gtx 580 and an i5 k slightly overclocked. Basically, I used to run the game well and get over 40 fps with high settings but now I'm lucky to get over 20 fps and have artifacts and glitches all over the place with low settings. The white dots can get extremely numerous and textures under my feet pop out in a triangle around me. I thought my card might be failing but I haven't encountered any problems with other games so far (though I haven't tried many). I think I might of accidentally underclocked my graphics card for a period as msi afterburner had really low settings before I reset them (I have no idea how I managed to do that, I do mess around with my fan speed regularly though), hopefully the voltage wasn't cranked up at all. My Graphics card never overheated while playing btw.

latest drivers and patches installed (1.60 no beta patches). This is really confusing me.

what are your results in the benchmark 1 and e08 scenario, and what are your settings and res?

@KrIxXuS Took the whole day yesterday to fresh install Win7. ARMA2 is also now on SSD. Now everythings running great. ARMA start-up in a few sec and eveything in game load in an instant :yay:.

So far so good. Hopefully.

Thanks for the help and the links/info.:D

Hi all.

First, my rig:

- CASE: Zalmann GS1000

- MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rampage III Extreme

- PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Hexa-core 3.33Ghz.

- RAM: DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 2000MHz 12GB (3x4GB) CL9

- VIDEO: ATI Sapphire Radeon HD6990 GDDR5 (X2 crossfire)

- AUDIO: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

- HARD DISK: SSD OCZ Revodrive 3 240GB PCI Express 2.0 X4 + Western Digital 350Gb. 7200RPM (X2)

- POWER: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W Modulare

- DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-24B1ST DL -R+R/RW

- DVD-ROM: LG GDRH20N SATA

Then, my problem: it's the same described here:

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks.

What settings are you trying to run?

Maybe try using Video Memory on Default if you aren't already.

Hi all.

First, my rig:

- CASE: Zalmann GS1000

- MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rampage III Extreme

- PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Hexa-core 3.33Ghz.

- RAM: DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 2000MHz 12GB (3x4GB) CL9

- VIDEO: ATI Sapphire Radeon HD6990 GDDR5 (X2 crossfire)

- AUDIO: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

- HARD DISK: SSD OCZ Revodrive 3 240GB PCI Express 2.0 X4 + Western Digital 350Gb. 7200RPM (X2)

- POWER: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W Modulare

- DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-24B1ST DL -R+R/RW

- DVD-ROM: LG GDRH20N SATA

Then, my problem: it's the same described here:

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks.

i had similar problem, toy a bit with ingame settings: VRAM, if it set to default, try to set to very high, or if its very high, try to set to default.

For sum reason, ARMA 2 uses like less than 70% of my cpu. Also sumtimes it doesn't fully use my gpu.

I have a Q8400 2.66 ghz and hD 6970

Edited by imeem

For sum reason, ARMA 2 uses like less than 70% of my cpu. Also sumtimes it doesn't fully use my gpu.

I have a Q8400 2.66 ghz and hD 6970

this is normal behaviour for nearly any game, except the games that are so light on the cpu the gpu is at 100% all the time. with your cpu gpu combo you should be cpu limited quite often.

this is normal behaviour for nearly any game, except the games that are so light on the cpu the gpu is at 100% all the time. with your cpu gpu combo you should be cpu limited quite often.

If ARMA 2 is cpu depedent, shouldn't my cpu usage be alot higher? like near 100%?

Also, sum guy on the steam forums has the same issues as me.

It just bad coding, when in game Arma 2 uses about 30-40% of my cpu and 15-25% of my gpu.

GTX 680

8gb ddr3

Source

that's just someone on steam complaining.

if you use a 2600K in a game and it uses 60% of the real cores it'll look like 30% because of the hypertreading that's not used. Hypertreading rarely gets you over 25% performance gain but if you dont use the logical cores it appears as if half the cores are doing nothing.

Why is the game lagging for me?

I get low fps, although I put all the settings on low, view distance and my comp isnt that bad...

What do I need in order to make this game work better?

My comp specs:

Win 7

3 GB Ram

QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3127 MHz

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7025-630a

GeForce GTX 460 (1024 MB)

Edited by boomdan