Sign in to follow this  
LOulOo

Video memory, very high or default?

Hi all,

who knows what exactly means video setting "video memory" ?

and the action of eatch level ?

- low

- normal

- high

- very high

Edited by LOulOo
forgot low

It should set it auto to what your videocard has, but might not be fool proof everytime.

I think maybe:

LOW = 256-320MB

MED = for 512MB

HIGH = 1024MB (1GB)

V.HIGH = 2048MB (2GB)

Dont take my word for it though. I know some mates run on high with 512MB cards but one of them also got "out of memory". If that was due to high setting im not sure.

Only BIS official can answer this one 100% accurate i guess. Unless its noted in the manual? I dont have ARMA2 so cant look for ya. ;)

Alex

I too would like an official explanation of this GFX option (especially as the option menus are not discussed at all in the manual!).

Also, it seems we can no longer change "Shading Detail" like in Arma1?

I have 512mb of VRAM on my 9800m, but it also indicates upto 2.2GB of shared memory which can be allocated from my 4GB of RAM. In this case, is it possible to assume that I would have at least enough video memory to push this option up to high (1GB) without the error 'out of virtual memory'?

For normal use of the game I'm using my PC, but I'm away for the summer and using my laptop so just wanted to clear up how this shared memory works exactly.

EDIT: Just so it's a bit clearer, this is what DxDiag says about it.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

Display Memory: 2287 MB

Dedicated Memory: 497 MB

Shared Memory: 1789 MB

Edited by Gonzo89

I´ve too experienced "out of memory" errors with a "high" setting, on a 512mb R4850 card + 767mb shared mem. Not immediately, but when playing for prolonged time with this setup.

Since switching to "normal", and using a custom value for localVRAM (503316480 (bytes) ~480mb) in the ArmA2.cfg, it runs smooth and stable.

I have 512mb of VRAM on my 9800m, but it also indicates upto 2.2GB of shared memory which can be allocated from my 4GB of RAM. In this case, is it possible to assume that I would have at least enough video memory to push this option up to high (1GB) without the error 'out of virtual memory'?

For normal use of the game I'm using my PC, but I'm away for the summer and using my laptop so just wanted to clear up how this shared memory works exactly.

EDIT: Just so it's a bit clearer, this is what DxDiag says about it.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

Display Memory: 2287 MB

Dedicated Memory: 497 MB

Shared Memory: 1789 MB

You don't want to be using 'shared' memory. Because it'snot nearly as fast as Vram.

You don't want to be using 'shared' memory. Because it'snot nearly as fast as Vram.

Right, I'm not a big laptop guy, wasnt to sure how it worked. I haven't tweaked anything and get good performance on everything I throw at it, so I'll see how the demo runs first.

I don't understand why they don't just call it "256mb", "512mb", "1024mb" and "2048mb".

Maybe it's for aesthetic reasons, but imagine how much confusion and how many crashes this could avoided.

NonLocalVram = Shared Memory or Pagefile ?

Yep that would be it.

Alex

running a GTX 275 I can use V.high with no issues just small slowdown so moved it to high and its now perfect tbh

Higher than what your VMEM is will make the game run worse and even load lower res textures etc. Thats a semi quote from BIS. Read it some time back.

So over do it will give you worse performance.

I don't understand why they don't just call it "256mb", "512mb", "1024mb" and "2048mb".

Maybe it's for aesthetic reasons, but imagine how much confusion and how many crashes this could avoided.

You could say this for almost the entire options menu. Almost half of it could use some conventional naming descriptions and/or explanations.

I would say HIGH for 896mb. Its a guess, but i think its a good guess. Test it. ;)

i believe that the VRAM usage depends greatly on the filtrate - the resolution of the render in 3d . i believe that you can use only for the render - no textures - 400 or 500 MB of VRAM , at high resolution and filtrate 200

I was able to take pictures with 1080p and very high , filtrate 200 in a 8800 GTX 768MB, only some problems with the delay in the loads in some textures. With filtrate 100 , no problems ;)

Thats what i was aiming for. FR:100.

I think a lot of people over do it with settings in ARMA2. They know their pc's can rape most games on Very High and then they stumble upon ARMA2 with streaming world - loading as we move - tons of stuff happening. Its not like the other games.

So with a decent pc i would go normal on things just to be sure i have a good stable FPS. FSAA is there now but has to be turned on in ARMA2.CFG and its lighter on the system than FR. Test set it to 2 or 3 and see. Leave FR at 100.

Just some tips. And then crank bit by bit higher if all is good. This is how you get ARMA2 to run good.

-IT TAKES TIME TO GET THE BEST SETTINGS FOR ARMA- (Always did ;) )

Alex

I'm wondering why BIS does not fully and OFFICIALLY explain how to use this option.

It will be very useful.

Cheers

They cant. Cause all systems are different see ;) I thaught so too in the beginning of it all. But i know they just cant. All pc's work so different so its best to test it out.

What the game DO though is to set it to "best settings for your pc". But its not always bullet proof as i said before. Tweak it some more and you shall find you can squeeze out more. Always was possible with BIS games.

Alex

Very high memory setting? Does it even go to very high with 512mb?

Alex

This depends on your resolution as well.

With powerful GPU's like the 200 series etc, it shouldnt be a big problem. 1 gig of VRAM is plenty quite honestly.

i still dont get it :(

my HD4870 has 512mb. i can't remember how i set up my page file (is page file my vram?!) so im not sure what to set it at...

can anyone remind me how to set the page file on XP? and in case it's about 1.5GB, what is the amount of video memory i should set? right now it's on DEFAULT.

what are the DISADVANTAGES of setting video ram to LOW, even if the card is capable of HIGH?

I suggest if you're going to play long games with high settings that you "flush" your video memory now and then to ensure that you don't run out of it.

To flush your video memory do this:

1. Hold down left shift

2. Press the minus on your numpad

3. Release both keys

4. Type "flush"

The screen should turn black and some message should pop up. After a while it's done and then your video memory should be reset.