Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

CAT Afghanistan v1.2 ported by PMC

CAT Afghanistan v1.2 port by PMC.

This is Afghanistan terrain and objects addon from Operation Flashpoint ported into Armed Assault. Its a advanced port, several modeling errors were fixed, textures merged and models optimized as well as config tweaked. No content have been added (except terrain has no ocean now, ie this is a terrain, not an island) or removed. There are no soldiers or vehicles in this addon.

CAT_Afghanistan_01.jpg

CAT_Afghanistan_02.jpg

CAT_Afghanistan_04.jpg

CAT_Afghanistan_13.jpg

Read online manual: here.

Visit PMC Tactical and PMC Tactical forums as well as PMC Editing Wiki which contains tutorials how to edit OFP, ArmA, ArmA 2 and Falcon 4.

Download CAT_Afghanistan_v1.2.rar - 135mb.

Mirror 1: Armaholic.com.

Mirror 2: Armedassault.info.

All mirrors are very much appreciated, thank you.

Edited by Snake Man

OMG!!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!! The last version ported had a tons of floating buildings and other issues. I hope this one doesn't have those same issues. It truly would bring an excellent opportunity for ARmA mission making. ArmA 1 is so different (with its own unique features) then ArmA II that I really do hope some people continue to develop ArmA as I like both of them really.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

OMG!!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!! The last version ported had a tons of floating buildings and other issues. I hope this one doesn't have those same issues. It truly would bring an excellent opportunity for ARmA mission making. ArmA 1 is so different (with its own unique features) then ArmA II that I really do hope some people continue to develop ArmA as I like both of them really.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

snakeman, good work.. but you know I like it.

Miles, i have yet to play arma II but what makes ArmA 1 different then 2?

Awesome stuff, gonna try this baby out this weekend with some random mission making fun :D

This was always a great map in OFP/VBS - it was 90% great in ArmA with the old version (floating bushes, etc) I can't wait to try this out - the perfect level of density/scenery and zero lag!

Thanks so much for not forgetting us ArmA1 players, Snake Man! :)

snakeman, good work.. but you know I like it.

Miles, i have yet to play arma II but what makes ArmA 1 different then 2?

ArmA II feels like a totally different game as the graphics just look much different the ArmA. Also the driving system I think was messed up in ArmA II (the mouse barely works now while driving) where as in ArmA I you can drive a car with a very natural feeling using the mouse.

Also in ArmA II the camera shakes when you move around which simulates a movie more then it simulates how the human body actually stabilizes vision while running. So I find that camera shaking VERy annoying.

Finally, the sound system is changed. I can no longer pinpoint the direction of gunfire or a vehicle using headphones, as they screwed that up in ArmA II. In ArmA I I relied heavily on sounds to locate the direction of gunfire.

There are other things I can't remember now, but those are some of the reasons why I'm glad some people are still supporting ArmA I such as we see with this map.

It'll be nice to see some missions with my Taliban pack on this map. It'll make for some great MP gaming as well.

:)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

:(

Stones and other clutter are still floating in the air.

Some building textures are wrong/ dont fit with the object.

Buildings are not really useable like in OFP.

Main road bug - it is glowing in the night!

The arma.rpt is full of error messages.

So far this OFP-to-ArmA port (+buildings) still need some extra work and ArmA and AI tuning. Keep it up!

Thanks for the bugs list, feedback is appreciated.

Awesome stuff Snake Man/PMC. I loved the one from OFP and the first ofp-arma port. I'll give this a try later.

Stupid question as I probably already know the answer, but are you planning to port this to ArmA2 when possible?

Yes. I do have the 1.1 in ArmA 2 actually, it works nicely. However as with AGS stuff, I definitely wanted to finish up the texture merging and model optimization before bringing them into ArmA 2.

I just wanted to finish up CAT Afghanistan for ArmA properly, before moving into ArmA 2. Now that is done. Of course there might be hotfix (like the nightime shining roads) even before that, we'll see.

Thanks SnakeMan - just a quick question - is 1.15 really necessary? If not, could you please consider changing the config to require a lower version of ArmA?

Snake,

In layman's terms what causes the brush to be floating? Is there a way to correct this?

Last Arma version is 1.14 ;). Don't let BIS get away with murder :D. Just kidding... but I'm serious, last official version is 1.14.

I was always curious about why you didn't pick up CAT Afghanistan Revisited. I have a whole campaign based on that island and was very excited when I first heard about your port, only to realize later that they were not the same island (and not for a long shot).

Latest ArmA is v1.16.5277

Aren't those BETA releases?

The port is made out of the mentioned CAT's Afghanistan Revisited 1.2, ie latest version released by AGS.

I'll have to check again when I get home then. Last time I did it was a very different island, I couldn't locate Konduz airfield for instance. I tell you right know I'll be very happy to be wrong this time ;).

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Well... It was Afghan Everon 2.0. I guess memory is playing games on me :p. Sorry.

Thanks so much Snake Man - I'll give it a whirl! Can't wait to get home from work!

Cheers heaps

Stew

ArmA II feels like a totally different game as the graphics just look much different the ArmA. Also the driving system I think was messed up in ArmA II (the mouse barely works now while driving) where as in ArmA I you can drive a car with a very natural feeling using the mouse.

Also in ArmA II the camera shakes when you move around which simulates a movie more then it simulates how the human body actually stabilizes vision while running. So I find that camera shaking VERy annoying.

Everything you mention here can be "fixed" by simple changes in the options.

I have just released ArmA CAT Afghanistan v1.3 beta in PMC Tactical forums. Please do not post news about this to news sites as I want to keep it just for the forum guys to test, its bit special install etc so thats why.

Thanks Snake Man this is fantastic! Still the odd floating bush - but there aren't that may examples. It's still dependent on Cat1.2, so still get the "version 1.15 required" error message at startup, but at least I can play this great map!

Thanks so much mate

Stew

Thanks Stewy for the feedback, you are the first and ONLY one to give any feedback since the 1.3 beta release several days ago. I am truly grateful that you take the time and post, thank you.

Yes as I said in the PMC Tactical forum post, this is special beta version, none of the floating objects (anything related to objects) have been fixed, yes it requires v1.2 which is already alone strange (hence the beta special strange version).

Final v1.3 will be with ArmA engine v1.14 requirement and standalone. At this point I'm afraid I cannot go promising any object fixes, but of course I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Stewy for the feedback, you are the first and ONLY one to give any feedback since the 1.3 beta release several days ago. I am truly grateful that you take the time and post, thank you.

Yes as I said in the PMC Tactical forum post, this is special beta version, none of the floating objects (anything related to objects) have been fixed, yes it requires v1.2 which is already alone strange (hence the beta special strange version).

Final v1.3 will be with ArmA engine v1.14 requirement and standalone. At this point I'm afraid I cannot go promising any object fixes, but of course I'll see what I can do.

No worries mate - sorry I couldn't post sooner - work is crazy atm. Thanks again for your hard work in putting this together. I'm a massive fan of this map and have been for a long time! :cool:

Good luck with it mate

Stew

This is great news mate, thanks so much for your hard work!

I'm on the case Snake Man - count me as one huge fan. DLing now it will take me a while though as I'm on 56k at the moment!

Arma 1 isn't dead to me mate :)

Hehe yeah sorry man about the size, I'm always the advocate to only put out "optimized" releases but this time I just said "F it" and packed both pbo's so its full install. It could have easily been done through PatchPbo where the download size would have come down probably 100 or so megs.

If there will be additional versions, I'll promise to put out a highly optimized patch where user have to download the bare minimum to get the changes installed. However I'm 99.9% sure there is no need to new version and the final can be released.

Hi Snake,

I gave it a quick run through and it's all looking good - no lag, no error messages and no floating objects!:yay:

Thanks again, this always was/is an awesome map!

Cheers

Stew

Downloading now! :)

Did anyone already convert the great DMA-Dynamic Missions from OFP into ARMA (Dynamic Afghanistan with russian VDV troops or US Deltas/Rangers)? Would be great, to have those in ARMA environment available!

Tks and Rgds

marcomio