Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Arma 2 Sound Modding 101.

The distant sounds in ARMA2 gets treated with a software effect. This can be tweaked i think to at wich distance. The first thing i asked around for was having another sound played at distance instead of the effect applied to the same sound that is played close. But so far i hear its not possible.

I saw a video of battlefield BH? Something like that. Some new game. In one sequence a guy is far away from the battle and you can hear that there is new sounds for distant battle and it sounds real nice. Hollywood the way theyve done it - but still awesome with muffled, low range bass and long reverb. If we could have at least 2 different sounds for close and far it would add a lot to immersion. But well have to see later if that is possible. Arty impacts far away for example - muffled, low range bass etc mmmmmm nice... Well see what the guys come up with.

Alex

Well,Mark and others,what about starting a joint soundmod?I have lots of real/good/bad/whatever sounds for vehicles/weapons.What about if i'm working mostly as sound supplier,so others tell me what they need and i search for them if i don't already have them?I have already most sounds for arma1 and can find even startup sounds for bmp,2S1,bradley and hopefully for many others too.

Well,Mark and others,what about starting a joint soundmod?

Hi hamis :)

Yep, Vo2. pm'd me about such an idea to which I initially agreed however I've heard nothing back about it since. I do like the concept, I'd just hope it could be done fairly and sounds picked by the players, not some small group of 'rightous' people:)

also...MOD-UL-AR, people need to wake up and realise what that means.

Nice thread. :)

Signed modular PBOs that could be mixed into a personal soundpack by every player would be awesome. Maybe something like pistols.pbo, SMGs.pbo, Rifles.pbo, MGs.pbo, Longrangerifles.pbo, etc etc.

They should be tagged with a common modtag (A2SM_* - ArmA2Soundmod) and OFPEC tag of the author in order to know which packages you're using atm.

So you would end up with something like A2SM_MARK_pistols.pbo, A2SM_CHAMMY_SMGs.pbo, A2SM_HAMMY_Rifles.pbo ... for example.

Main reason for me to depbo soundmods for OpF & ArmA has always been that i dislike certain sounds, but not the entire package. :)

Is it possible to add FlyBy sounds to bombs with soundFly???

Just so men on the ground can hear whats going to hit them moments before they get blown into the sky,lol

Now I'm not soundmod, config, expert/veteran or anything like that, but couldn't the A10 firing sound "problem" be solved, hyphothetically, with somekind of scripting?

If the distance was greater than say, I don't know, what, 2 km, the script would "skip" the initial firing sound of the A10 for the players that were about 2 km from A10, and play distant "WRUMMMH"-sound about two second later for the players that were two km away from the A10. This way we could possibly have the splash sound before the firing sound, and ofcourse, the script probably would need to detect the distance of the players, and then play the "correct" "WRUMMH"-sound after few seconds later depending on the player distance.

But ofcourse, this is just hyphothesis and I have no idea whatsoever if it even could be possible with the current sound-engine.

First steps into making a new sound mod...Need abit of feedback on my first real sound I'm working on...I know it could most probably do with abit more echo...But just want to get abit of feedback to get a feel for the rest of the sounds I need to do.

AK47

This is the best sound i have found for ak-47,and i have seen hundreds of videos while searching for a good sound:

First steps into making a new sound mod...

.............But just want to get abit of feedback to get a feel for the rest of the sounds I need to do.

AK47

nice)

wait for more wepons demo)

@Cornish

1st thing..Sorry for not replying to you yet (been alittle busy;) ) if you add me via msn we'll have a good chat ok :)

2nd thing.. Nice Ak mate, I like that alot. If I could offer you alittle feedback I'd give it some more uumph ! other than that its alovely clean sound. WELLDONE

@All looking for sounds

Don't just look for one :) do a complete search and find as many clips as you can. don't even watch them just que them them up. (make sure the sources aren't from movies or stuff thats been copywritten, which is normally expressed somewhere on the same page as the vid). Then hit record and watch them all. After go through them, cleaning each sound (regardless of quality at this point) and seperating them into single samples.

You have just captured some good and bad sounds. So, next find the ones you like or feel carry what you want to put across ingame (I'll go into this later). You now have a nice base sound, along with some other sounds which if need be can be cut up and added to your orginal. Why do this, well sometime that sound you love is...

Too short

Too long

has No ummph (probly most common)

has another misc sounds in the mix

So the other sounds you kept can be used to help add anything missing from the orginal. The same goes for adding different frequencies.

Hi all!

I need a little help:

In Arma2, sound config is totally different, and unfortunately Im really confused.

Example:

class Engine : Engine {

sound[] = {"\RHS_T55AMV\sounds\V_55.ogg", 1.0, 0.5, 900};

frequency = "0.975+(0.05*thrust)";

volume = "engineOn*camPos*(speed factor[4, 20])";

cone[] = {1.2, 2.8, 1.8, 1.3};

};

In Arma1, after the sound name (V_55.ogg) there were 2 parameters, but now, there are 3. Can someone explain them?

I also need explanation of frequency, volume and cone, I have no idea what these do. :confused:

Edited by Archbishop Lazarus

{"\RHS_T55AMV\sounds\V_55.ogg", 1.0, 0.5, 900};

1.0 is volume at source

0.5 is pitch 0.0 being same as orginal sample

900 is volume over distance (how far it can be heard)

I also need explanation of frequency, volume and cone, I have no idea what these do.

Join the club mate :)

anyone wanna shed some light on this stuff some more ?

Sorry kju,but that's as good as engineer's talk usually.That means you don't have a clue what he's saying.Could you "translate" that into easily understandable format eg:sound[] = {"\RHS_T55AMV\sounds\V_55.ogg", 1.0, 0.5, 900};=engine sound,parameter 1 means...?

This is the best sound i have found for ak-47,and i have seen hundreds of videos while searching for a good sound:

I think I found a

:)

yeah get rid of the wind and thats ok, I still don't get why you find 1 sound per weapon but carry on :)

hamis you need to learn manners before anything else.

Thanks Mark XIII!

That helped a bit. I think the other parameters are modifying the sound according the speed or engine rpm, but its quite complicated. :confused:

hamis you need to learn manners before anything else.

Sorry,i didn't mean my comment to be offensive or anything like that.I have good manners,i don't swear or offend anyone in forums.It's just not always so easy to choose right words for us non-native english speakers.I hope you forgive me,i'm trying to be more careful in the future.

Hey mate don't worry we all could do with wording things alittle better from time to time, sure its K. ;)

Hi, just thought I'd get together with Kju and make this replacement up for some of you guys interested in changing the music ingame.

http://www.filefront.com/14289229/Replacement_Soundtrack.7z

To use it..

Download

Unpbo

Overwrite the Ogg files you wish to change

Repbo

place in addon folder an enjoy :)

EDIT: NO BIS file were used or harmed in any way during the making of this addon :)

Edited by Mark XIII

Hi, just thought I'd get together with Kju and make this replacement up for some of you guys interested in changing the music ingame.

http://www.filefront.com/14289229/Replacement_Soundtrack.7z

To use it..

Download

Unpbo

Overwrite the Ogg files you wish to change

Repbo

place in addon folder an enjoy :)

EDIT: NO BIS file were used or harmed in any way during the making of this addon :)

Thanks Kju and Mark

Will most likely end up using this.