1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

k i just got a BSOD.

is anyone else experiencing crashes,freezes and BSOD's in the demo? or is it just me :S

OK I woke up and the demo was downloaded, installed no issues and only had time to run a few benchmarks before going to work :-(, my valuation based on benchmarks below. Maybe someone else will get encouragement from my average setup.

Well with everything on High to Very High including Very High textures and High AA, video RAM set to Very High and Post Processes OFF I get 36FPS, very smooth indeed. With post process on High I get 32FPS, still pretty smooth. This is with a view distance of 3500.

I am very impressed with the frame rate however I am also aware that the demo has no trees in the far distance or detail to draw really so I think in the real game I will take a 10-20% frame rate hit but I cannot confirm that yet until I get the full game and patch it to the same level as the demo.

The only issues I noticed were these:

1. The house textures flickering and noticeably going from high detail to medium to low plasticine look, I wish this was a smoothe transition.

2. Try dragging the view distance slider to anything above 7000 and the machine chugs for minutes even though there is really not much to draw but featureless terrain. I understand there will be a hit but going from smooth 3500 to a not happening 7000 is a bit odd, there is something wrong here, infinite terrain issue maybe?

CPU: Q6600 2.4@2.8

GPU: ATI 4870 1GB Dark knight standard no Overclock

RAM: 2GB

Res: 1680x1050

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

How can I tune down the god damn blur?

Turn off Post Process? I noticed blur went on benchmark after doing that.

Thank you thank you! Going to try it now.
I had the exact same issue you had. Just go to microsoft and search for "DirectX End-User Runtimes (March 2009)"

Extract all the files in a new carpet, execute the exe file, and that is.

Ok... I downloaded and installed, and its asking me where i want to place the extracted files... the extracted DX Files assuming. Where do I put them?

FFS , why hardcore arma supporter don't have right to FSAA ? T_T

Ok... I downloaded and installed, and its asking me where i want to place the extracted files... the extracted DX Files assuming. Where do I put them?

1.It doesnt matter, make a new carpet (with no files inside) where you want (i did it in the desktop, the carpet name also it doesnt matter, i put a random name) .

2. Execute the exe file you downloaded from microsoft.

3. The program will ask you for a carpet, you dont have to extract the files, the program will do it for you where you want to extract them ( click brownse an select the carpet you created).

4.Execute the dxsetup.exe that appears (inside the carpet) after the extraction.

I am not an english speaker lol so no idea if you are understanding me, you can also read installation instructions in the microsoft ´s web where you downloaded it.

There will be loads of files, just search for dxsetup.exe

Edited by katua

in multiplayer, at least in the maps I played, you always respawn where you die. is that normal? how does that even make sense?

Here's my Benchmark Scores:

(see sig for system)

Very Low Settings: 58 FPS

Default Settings: 29 FPS

Very High Settings: 19 FPS

Obviously, my video card is the bottleneck. However, there were major lag issues and bizarre pop-up issues going on.

This game is not ready for retail. It's got MAJOR potential, but it needs lots more work IMO.

It doesnt matter, make a new carpet (with no files inside) where you want (i did it in the desktop, the carpet name also it doesnt matter, i put a random name) . Just extract them in that carpet when it asks you, and execute the exe.

There will be loads of files, just search for dxsetup.exe

Ah ok. Wasnt sure if there was a specific place where it might replace something. Thanks again!

Here's my Benchmark Scores:

(see sig for system)

Very Low Settings: 58 FPS

Default Settings: 29 FPS

Very High Settings: 19 FPS

Obviously, my video card is the bottleneck. However, there were major lag issues and bizarre pop-up issues going on.

This game is not ready for retail. It's got MAJOR potential, but it needs lots more work IMO.

I just recently dumped my 8800GTS for a 4870 1GB...HUGE difference, change your GPU and you will be blown away.

The demo keeps crashing after a few mins. have a beefy setup { quad core cpu Quad bfg 295's 6 gigs ddr 3 Vista 64 bit} ....

Quad bfg 295's 6 gigs ddr 3 Vista 64 bit} ....

I think your issue lies in the quad 295's, 6gig and vista 64. I have read a lot of posts and a common factor in the performace or issues running the game are multipleGPU's high RAM (above 4gb) and Vista.

Doesn't help you I know and it isn't your fault but I am just pointing out where the issues "seem" to be currently.

I was Happy that a demo came out so I could test out Arma2 before I got my steam copy, I was disappointed with how my system performed but I have 4GB on way + a new hard drive so that should add another 5 Fps + ill be overclocking my CPU to 3.6ghz from 3ghz so that will give a healthy boost. I've never played the arma series so I was immediately on awe of the graphics but also in frustration in figuring things out like why I kept failing at the boot camp shooting range when I shot one target.

Even with all the frustration this game has caused for me so far I'm more than happy to say its a great game and I spent my $50 pre-order wisely. Now I'm just looking for a Decent squad to hook up with

I was Happy that a demo came out so I could test out Arma2 before I got my steam copy, I was disappointed with how my system performed but I have 4GB on way + a new hard drive so that should add another 5 Fps + ill be overclocking my CPU to 3.6ghz from 3ghz so that will give a healthy boost. I've never played the arma series so I was immediately on awe of the graphics but also in frustration in figuring things out like why I kept failing at the boot camp shooting range when I shot one target.

Even with all the frustration this game has caused for me so far I'm more than happy to say its a great game and I spent my $50 pre-order wisely. Now I'm just looking for a Decent squad to hook up with

What is your current system?

k i just got a BSOD.

is anyone else experiencing crashes,freezes and BSOD's in the demo? or is it just me :S

no one?

While waiting for my reserved copy from EB Games on july 7, I downloaded the demo and installed it.

First, like many people here, I had to reinstall directX to get rid of the error message. Thanks for the tip.

I used a relatively old pc:

Intel E6600

2 gigs of ram

nVidia 7900 gt

As expected, the video card was the bottleneck. The benchmark mission gave me an average of 22 fps with those specs:

- Very low terrain

- 1440x900 for both resolution and the corresponding output (19' lcd)

- No shadow

- No Postprocessing

- and all the rest at normal

I'll get another video card tomorrow, probably an AMD 4870 at Microbytes (Montréal) for $225 CA. The 4890 is about $300. Yes, they are more expensive here. I wonder if it's worthed the extra $75? Anyway...

I'll post back the difference when I get it.

Hope this is somehow usefull

Cheers

Absolutely amazing demo.

I have absolutely no doubts about the full game anymore. I didn't enjoy Arma 1 very much but this is awesome.

I can run it on Very High with very playable FPS.

My only complaint is that when I try to chat, my character still does movements corresponding to what keys I'm pressing. For example when I type an E, my character leans even though I'm chatting.

While waiting for my reserved copy from EB Games on july 7, I downloaded the demo and installed it.

First, like many people here, I had to reinstall directX to get rid of the error message. Thanks for the tip.

I used a relatively old pc:

Intel E6600

2 gigs of ram

nVidia 7900 gt

As expected, the video card was the bottleneck. The benchmark mission gave me an average of 22 fps with those specs:

- Very low terrain

- 1440x900 for both resolution and the corresponding output (19' lcd)

- No shadow

- No Postprocessing

- and all the rest at normal

I'll get another video card tomorrow, probably an AMD 4870 at Microbytes (Montréal) for $225 CA. The 4890 is about $300. Yes, they are more expensive here. I wonder if it's worthed the extra $75? Anyway...

I'll post back the difference when I get it.

Hope this is somehow usefull

Cheers

Your CPU will be the bottleneck now whichever card you get so if you do not intend to upgrade CPU anytime soon save your $ and get the 4870 which is a great value/performance card.

no one?

I am very happy to say that it has only crashed once, within 2 minutes of installing the game. That was when i maxed out the settings to see how i could do. I have played all day and not a single more crash, and i can say it plays sooo wel on my system, and i do not have the greatest system int the world. But I attributtede the crash i got to setting the Anti-Aliasing on high - or very high, cant remember tho. I also went into the Nvidia settings for each individual game and put Texture Filtering for Arma 2 Demo on high performance, instead of high quality. That may help-has for past games. Then i OC'd my grphx card and this is one beautifull game i can say! Best of luck PM me if i can help.

If people can start posting system specs and not just saying it runs great or bad it will help other people with similar specs to know if something is wrong with their machine or the specs just don't cut it.

I suggest:

CPU

GPU

RAM

OS

optional

Framerate on benchmark

ARMA2 Settings

Asus P5Q-Pro

E7200 @ 3.16ghz atm,

Kingston 2GB DDR2-667 @ 800

HD4850 512MB

Western digital 160GB

Windows XP pro 32-bit

I run at 1680X1050 and everything is now normal and view distance is 2500 which gives me at least 25 frames per second. At first I had everything on high and it ran at about 30+ frames per second until I started the chopper mission and then messing around with the editor and then it dipped down to 10 frames. So I'm hoping the 4GB DDR2-1000 kit and the Western digital 640GB Black I'm getting along with Overclocking my E7200 further will help me out a lot.

Wanted to compare demo to my retail game and so far I believe the demo runs tighter.

Setting everything on Normal;pp on Normal, the in-built benchmark gave me a result of 37fps after the 2nd run.

Next jacked the fillrate to 125% and AA to High and the result: 37 fps.

Not bad.

F$%#K ME !

Unable to find setup01.bin

Please keep setup.exe and all *.bin files in the same directory

Whats this shyt !!??

Can't even install the friggin thing ......

Slowly loosing my patience with you guys ........

Not downloading another 3GB just to get the same error.

Highly suspect this is some sprocket/registry similar shyt

Edit

Win XP Pro (32)

Edited by [APS]Gnat

IMO the content level in regards to missions could have been greater to showcase the game a bit more.

Also, alot of features listed in the demo aren't there. M107, javelin soldier etc etc are replaced with other weapons but all in all its a good effort. I think the inclusion of the editor will serve to confuse new players more than anything but for a long time player like myself that wasn't an issue. I dont think the demo would make me buy the game had I been a new player and this was my first experience in the OFP/ARMA world. More missions would have helped.

The one SP mission included (not the warfare mission) would be a bit confusing to new players since it can get a little chaotic and your team seems to get stuck around a single building and get picked off leaving you a bit unsure of how to continue. I managed to figure it out but thats only because I have almost 10 years clocked with the games, like I said, might be a bit much for new players, maybe 2 or 3 more short simple missions to give an idea of what the game is all about.

Boot camp all ran perfectly for me, not much info gained from them but I guess there really isn't much to learn so they serve their purpose.

Now I just need to wait a few days until my steam preorder unlocks and I can dive into the campaign.

I'm running it at a constant 45-60fps on the cutdown Chernarus island with a mid level system and everything set to normal (shadows off) and view distance at 1600 at 1440*900.

Core 2 duo E6600

2gb RAM

GF 8800GTS 320MB

XP Pro

Benchmark scores 40-49 on each run.

Edited by Baldman

I played the demo thinking this game looks pretty cool, but alas, the poor gui and training makes me not want to play. First off, the controls seem really herky jerky, like cooper is a retard and cant walk straight. The firing rage seemed fine until the test started and the controls suddenly got jerkier than before. It constantly tells you what to do without telling you the controls you need to use (the switch weapons button, for instance, was unbound so i had to go to the controls menu and set up the button just to switch to my pistol). after the obstacle course and the range I went to the medic station and found out just how absurd the menu system is: you have to reach across the keyboard to hit enter for everything, the trainer said to drag the dude, but once i selected drag i couldn't move at all, same for the carry position, then, because I was frustrated and the "trainer" was silent, i tried the other 0ptions at random finally doing the first aid thing (which looks like a prayer healing BTW) and miraculously passed that section.

On to the missile course, the only instruction shaftoe gives you is to hit g on the crate. So I hit g get the disposable rocket launcher which mysteriously has no ammo, even though it is disposable, and hence unreloadable, WTF? I shoot the stupid tank, then he says go shoot some dudes in the mout course, which is just some guy in the woods. Fortunately for me, it wasn't actually a mout course, it was a live fire course, and I had no ammo, inexplicably (I had ammo before) and had to run in with my pistol. The dude in the woods seemed to jump around (like warp through time and space hiro nakamura style, then he throw a grenade which hit the tree next to him and exploded at his feet, then he was suddenly behind me shooting me in the back. So I died! Now I get to start the whole fucking training over again! Yay, this game is fun! How do you die in training? like why would anyone train with live ammo? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of training ppl, if they die? Game = fail. Not as bad a fail as AA3, but trying really hard to get there. Plus, AA3 is a free piece of shit!

HD 4870 512mb and E8400 clocked at 3.2ghz runs the game ok-pretty good. A lot of inconsistency with the frames. Seems towns affect my fps a lot more than arma did. AA is enabled on demo from settings with shadows. AA seems to have a high affect in ArmA2, more than arma1 did. But fillrate is still a huge killer. Wish I could set it to 110% instead of 125% increments. All in all it was amazing. The environment/graphics, sounds, and gameplay are far better than arma. Patroling on the dirt roads feels like patroling in real life. Reminds me of militia training up in the hills that I used to do.

So here is what I'm going to do for the full game when I get it:

- Get an HD 4890 1gb 1ghz model. (Supposed to be a fairly decent upgrade from a HD 4870 512mb)

- Overclock my CPU to 3.4ghz and see if that makes a little difference.

EDIT: I really think that making buildings block out unneeded graphics processing behind them would bring performance in towns back to the level of arma1 (arma1 was better).