492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

hi guys, i'm totally new to arma, never played any version before. ive been really looking forward to trying it though.

so i finally installed the demo and the textures look really weird, like something is horribly wrong. i tried with default settings and also lowering and raising the quality. could someone explain how to fix this?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/macmeister92/ArmA2Demo2009-06-2509-55-48-58.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/macmeister92/ArmA2Demo2009-06-2509-56-05-41.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/macmeister92/ArmA2Demo2009-06-2509-56-15-65.jpg

I thought i had a pretty good system so that shouldnt be the problem.

Intel Xeon Quad Core @ 2.80ghz

8gb RAM @ 800mhz

nvidia 8800GT

320Gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Windows 7 RC

(all latest drivers and patches for windows and for nvidia)

thanks!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73232

i hope you will find a solution

try to run it as admin, maybe its helps. or maybe the file is corrupt, dont know, sorry.

I've tried running it as admin...in compatability mode with windows XP with and without admin rights...some other people are getting the same error from other download sources so I doubt its corrupt. I downloaded it from games.on.net (really good download speeds/no wait)

thanks for the suggestion though

I've tried running it as admin...in compatability mode with windows XP with and without admin rights...some other people are getting the same error from other download sources so I doubt its corrupt. I downloaded it from games.on.net (really good download speeds/no wait)

thanks for the suggestion though

a file can be corrupt via the download, so it still may be corrupt. (give me a few sec, im gonna make my proper demo installer to be corrupt, ill check what will happen, and will report back)

oh i see...well i will try to start downloading again just in case. thanks for the help

another problem im having is experiencing crashes and freezes? the game runs well but some reason i get the odd freeze up game not responding..

try to run it as admin, maybe its helps. or maybe the file is corrupt, dont know, sorry.

We fixed that problem just update your direct x drivers. I posted a link in demo release topic.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

another problem im having is experiencing crashes and freezes? the game runs well but some reason i get the odd freeze up game not responding..

Same here. Overclocking my rig now, tweaks is all it is.

We fixed that problem just update your direct x drivers. I posted a link in demo release topic.

so its DX related too, thank for the info.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Same here. Overclocking my rig now, tweaks is all it is.

i don't need to OC it any more, im happy but the game runs fine but in the odd occasion the game has frozen up twice.

-Ziggy-;1328566']FINALLY I managed to secure a DL at 350kbs -> fileplanet :smash:

at least urs says there mine goes back and forth from 400 to 150 :icon_wink:

Finally finished the download and burned it and the DX9 update patch onto a DVD+R data disc.

Now.. just gotta stare at the clock at work for 3 more hours :(

has anyone else experienced freezes in the game or is it just me? it just happens out of the blue but its like once every hour or so when im playing.

I got this error after a few minutes while playing some multiplayer.

I have never had any similar problem with the full version.

arma2demoerror.jpg

I am loving the demo so far.

My only problem is the blur, it just seems a bit too excessive and blurry at times. Would be nice to have a way to tone done the blur (but still have it, just not so much).

I got this error after a few minutes while playing some multiplayer.

I have never had any similar problem with the full version.

[iM]http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/345/arma2demoerror.jpg[/img]

i had that same problem i just set shortcut -maxmem= amount of memory , and haven't got it so far but im still having problems with it freezing up sometimes..

Edited by Placebo

Just tried the demo for about 30 mins, just in boot-camp etc....

Have to say I never played ARMA1 (just the demo) but this feels a lot better than the ARMA1 demo! It feels more real and refined, well done!

The performance is not too bad, however once you turn the settings up higher past the default "Very High" you really see some low fps, but this is to be expected.

I think a bit more optimisation will help this game a lot, gamers usually dont like a game if it runs badly!

I have to say the graphics settings for "High" are very ugly and dated, they also seem to blur the distance a lot which is unplayable.

Very High settings are nice and ok, with only a small hit in performance.

For all who havent seen, there is a "Benchmark" mission under Single Player > Missions.

I will post my results:

Core2Duo @ 3.44ghz

4GB DDR800

8800GTX overlocked to Ultra level

WinXP SP3

Nvidia 186.18 WHQL

Benchmark results at 1680x1050

Default "High" setting = 35fps average

Default "Very High" setting = 28fps average

Not much different but it looks much better... have to say in the open field area in the benchmark it goes down to 19fps which is unplayable unfortunatelly...

Yapa

Edited by Yapab

Can't find a decent DL mirror... waiting for tomorrow :)

Hi!

Thought id start the standard benchmark results page so we can get an idea of how the demo build runs on different systems.

BIS was nice enough to include a good benchmark level in the demo for our testing purposes!

To access the benchmark incase you cant find it, go to Single Player > Scenarios > Benchmark, it shows the avg fps at the end.

Here are my results and system for comparison, it runs better than I expected going by the initial posts around the web.

Core2Duo @ 3.44ghz

4GB DDR800

8800GTX overlocked to Ultra level

WinXP SP3

Nvidia 186.18 WHQL

Benchmark results at 1680x1050

Default "High" setting = 33fps average

If everyone could keep the same format so its easy to compare and compile.. also dont forget to post your resolution as this makes a big difference.

IMPORTANT ***** Changing the video settings to "high" changes the resolution also so try to use the same resolution for both tests!

yapa

Edited by Yapab

which C2D do u have??

did u check whit stock clock on the GTX when i OCed my GT for arma i got less frames then stock

Q6600 @ 3.2ghz

4GB DDR800

8800GTS 512mb overlocked

Vista x64

Nvidia 186.18 WHQL

Benchmark results at 1440x900

3d resolution 1440x900

Default "Very High" setting = 35fps average

Found out what I already knew I need a new graphics card ( i have a nividia 6800 lol) but I can still run the demo on low even though its not worth it.

Just for the hell of it, I downloaded the game. And you'll see why that's pretty funny of me.

Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz

2.5 GB RAM (DDR1)

Radeon X1300

You are probably wondering what the hell I was thinking. I just wanted to see how it ran, and believe it or not, the frame rate wasn't that bad just screwing around in an open area.

Obviously, the settings were set to LOW LOW LOW, very low. Even the screen size was set to low. And obviously, it goes to crap with a lot of stuff going on. (Benchmark was 11.1 average FPS)

Still, I'm surprised my PC could even handle what it could. Also it's a shame you can't disable the shaders, I have a feeling performance would have been even better if we could configure the shaders.

This makes me wonder why some folks have performance trouble. I'm convinced that when ArmA 2 is all patched up, this is going to be a really bad ass game, and I'm almost certainly now going to build a brand new PC.

The FPS are at the low 30s mid 20s on an 8800 ultra, are there any new nvidia drivers optimized for arma 2?

I have an old E6420 overclocked, i just tried the 8800GTX at stock and it was slightly slower....

Did some AA tests and its not a huge hit:

Default "High" setting = 33fps average

Default "High" settings with Antialiasing disabled = 36fps average

Default "Very High" setting with Antialiasing disabled = 32fps average

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Can anyone with an SLI system post some results? Is SLI working now?