Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

High Command Module

Hi,

how do I get it work?

I tried the structure/discription on the bikpage several times but it didn't work.

Maybe I forgot something, so what modules and objects must I place on the map to get it work?

Thanks. :)

This one's relatively simple

Make your groups of men, say, one command group (you as the leader/player), two patrols, and a support/weapons group

Then create Higher Command Commander Game Logic, and sync it to your player character

Make two (or as many as you want) Higher Command Subordinate GL's, and sync this to the leaders of your groups (in this example, sync the patrols to one, and the support team to the other)

Sync the subordinate GL's to the commander GL

Start the game, and then press ctrl+space to switch to the higher command interface.

It's a bloody great system, I only wish the artillery module was integrated in to it as well so you could command artillery under your control on the fly

Edited by DaveP

ok thanks, I don't know that I must press ctrl+space.

Yes its really nice and fun. :)

ok thanks, I don't know that I must press ctrl+space.

Yes its really nice and fun. :)

Ahhh. That's why I never could figure out how to control the other groups in the Campaign.... ctrl+space, I never saw that in the Biki. After reading it over and over I'm shocked I never saw this.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:

Wow! What a great feature. It's good to see something like this.

Say, can you have 2 High Command - Commander GL link together?

eg.

Commander0

Commander1----------Commander2

subordinate ---------- subordinate

so that you could have a company, but as company commander, you only give orders to your platoon leaders. if it works, we can have real chain of command

Say, can you have 2 High Command - Commander GL link together?

eg.

Commander0

Commander1----------Commander2

so that you could have a company, but as company commander, you only give orders to your platoon leaders. if it works, we can have real chain of command

To do that you'd set it up like this:

Company Commander

Synced to: GL Higher Command Commander 1

Platoon Leader 1

Synced to:

GL Higher Command Sub 1

GL Higher Command Commander 2

GL Higher Command Sub 1

Synced to: GL Higher Command Commander 1

Fire Team 1

Synced to:

GL Higher Command Sub 2

GL Higher Command Sub 2

Synced to: GL Higher Command Commander 2

Fire Team 2

Synced to:

GL Higher Command Sub 3

GL Higher Command Sub 3

Fire Team 3

Synced to:

GL Higher Command Sub 4

GL Higher Command Sub 4

That way the Company Commander commands the platoon leader, who in turn controls three fire teams.

so you mean it is possible? that would be awesome...

btw i dont have arma2 yet, thats why i asked.

so to reconfirm, it's possible then?

so you mean it is possible? that would be awesome...

btw i dont have arma2 yet, thats why i asked.

so to reconfirm, it's possible then?

I don't see why not

Yep, that works fine for me. Great! Had tried it before in this way, but I think I had some group links slip in when they should all be syncs.

This sounds pretty asome.

Just a question. I have not seen this in action yet. But can you have subs that are like Tanks? Transport? Helos?

Ie Have tanks attack something? Then Have a transport pick you and men up and bring them to point B?

Then have the Helo Exract you after mission done? All from the High Command menu?

Bacially. If I set it up like you say. Place 1 helo, 2 tanks Teams, and a transport on the map without any waypoints or orders. Then I can just order them from the High Command Menu In game?

This sounds pretty asome.

Just a question. I have not seen this in action yet. But can you have subs that are like Tanks? Transport? Helos?

Ie Have tanks attack something? Then Have a transport pick you and men up and bring them to point B?

Then have the Helo Exract you after mission done? All from the High Command menu?

Bacially. If I set it up like you say. Place 1 helo, 2 tanks Teams, and a transport on the map without any waypoints or orders. Then I can just order them from the High Command Menu In game?

Not sure about picking up/transporting, mainly since my german's rubbish and the new command menu doesn't look like anything in ArmA/can't remember which numbers did what, but any unit can be commanded in the system.

You seem to be able to do that; the only issue I've found though is that you can't tell a subordinate to get into the vehicle owned by another group (even if that transport vehicle is the only thing in the group). It isn't that they refuse to do it; you just never get the option highlighted in 2d map or 3d world control modes.

If you teamswitched into the leader of the group that wanted transport you could order your men to get into a transport in another group though, so it isn't anything fundamental. May be an undocumented HC feature or something you need to configure as enabled as well. Who knows at this point?

You seem to be able to do that; you can have any number, mix and type of units in an extended hierarchy

The only issue I've found though is that you can't tell a subordinate to get into the vehicle owned by another group (even if that transport vehicle is the only thing in the group). It isn't that they refuse to do it; you just never get the option highlighted in 2d map or 3d world control modes.

If you teamswitched into the leader of the group that wanted transport you could order your men to get into a transport in another group though, so it isn't anything fundamental. May be an undocumented HC feature or something you need to configure as enabled as well. Who knows at this point?

I think there may be a general support system as part of SecOps that may offer you specific support tasks (like air strikes, repair and medivacs) if you don't want total control of the units though. Not looked into that to be sure (and I may be totally wrong in that).

I think there may be a general support system as part of SecOps that may offer you specific support tasks (like air strikes, repair and medivacs) if you don't want total control of the units though. Not looked into that to be sure (and I may be totally wrong in that).

Yup, sure is, Secops seems to be one of the most powerful GL's, awaiting the Biki entry shortly

Hello,

in current version, proper Chain of Command is not working with AI. When you have another HC as subordinate, he won't pass orders to his subordinates and move alone.

But don't be afraid, patch is going to fix and orders including waypoint, behavior, combat mode etc. will be passed down on Chain of Command even with AI.

Tried this out (and similar layouts) and have some problems.

The commanders who are also subordinates cannot command their own subordinates.

Take your example, 1 Platoon Leader cannot command his subordinates. Same for 2 Platoon.

Is this the same for you, or is it a problem on my end?

Hello,

in current version, proper Chain of Command is not working with AI. When you have another HC as subordinate, he won't pass orders to his subordinates and move alone.

But don't be afraid, patch is going to fix and orders including waypoint, behavior, combat mode etc. will be passed down on Chain of Command even with AI.

Thanks for the info Gaia... would really add a lot to the game with this feature

I am so going to get this game :)

Hello,

Oh awesome

Amazing. Anyone tried this in multiplayer using humans? If you play on regular, does the commanders moveto order show up (in hud) for subordinates and his members?

I have tested this. And Really can't find anyway to use transports or Helos for transport. The only option available for your units it seems is Waypoint. All the other options are blocked out.

If you have an enemy unit, and you select a squad and click on the unit, The Waypoint will change to ATTACK. So far thats all I have figured out you can do with the High Command thing.

I setup a chain of command myself and got stuck. I downloaded your demo mission and encounter the same problem. I try to explain what i noticed.

As the overall lead (the top leader) i can indeed control only the subleaders and can pass waypoints to them that they then execute.

As a subleader who controls other units (so the 2n leader leavel in the hierarchy) i can in command mode (ctrl-space) indeed select the groups but somehow i cannot give them move orders. I had the same issue in my own hierarchy.

As claimed before the AI cannot pass on orders fron heigh command to their subs but also humans cannot so to me its a bug in the coc module that bypasses the ai problem, its an overall problem. Nobody can pass on orders from 2nd level of command and on.

Edited by spirit6

Hello,

Please read my previous post to spooner. I think the problem is not AI related but overall bug in COC module. Nobody can bypass orders to subs from 2nd level in hierarchy. When playing a subordinate that is also a command of other units, he is not in control of his own man also.

Edited by spirit6

In 1.01Final:

Yes, the sub-commander can't command his subordinates for me either. If the top-commander gives orders to sub-commanders, they sometimes move and sometimes not (they never moved in 1.01beta in my tests). the subcommander's own subordinates never move.

However, as in the previous version, the sub-commander does not have his own group appear, since he is being controlled by his own commander. This implies to me that the structure is correct and that the HC module is correctly recognising the chain of command; just not working with it correctly during the game ;)

Sorry that I gave people the idea that the HC system worked. I was mainly just wanting people to see a more complex example mission, rather than just a simple example in a screenshot, which would take a while for everyone to replicate and test (I know I kept accidentally using group links rather than sync links, since the HC modules kept auto-grouping with each other!).

Gaia said next version and not next release. Thus, probably was meaning 1.02, not 1.01 final.