Sign in to follow this  
headspace

ArmA 2's Artillery Module

Is there any way to have multiple "Artillery Barrages" available at once?

Say I want an 81mm mortar, 105mm howitzer, and MLRS artillery barrage to be selectable.

Possible?

Say I want an 81mm mortar, 105mm howitzer, and MLRS artillery barrage to be selectable.

Possible?

I assume if multiple are available it will just choose the most feasible depending on ammo type and the like, give it a try!

Just to be clear the arty module is your battery variable. Even if you used another method and it worked, the right way to do it is to use the arty module. Any other method is unsupported.

Possible?

Yes, add multiple support requests (using the different artilleries) with SOM should work, or you could manually do it by calling fire missions through the mechanism of your choice.

I assume if multiple are available it will just choose the most feasible depending on ammo type and the like, give it a try!

The module will load the appropriate ammo if it's defined for its type, however you need to specify the battery explicitly. There's currently no mechanism native to the Artillery Module to select a battery on the fly, although such a thing would be pretty easy to script.

Edited by Headspace

So, this is what I am doing to add multiple requests, tried it two ways:

[['artillery_barrage'], player, [[batt81, [1,4,7,9]], [batt81b, [1,4,7,9]], [batt105, [1,4,7,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

and

[['artillery_barrage'], player, [[batt81, [1,4,7,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc; [['artillery_barrage'], player, [[batt81b, [1,4,7,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc; [['artillery_barrage'], player, [[batt105, [1,4,7,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

Only get 1 Artillery Barrage option in the Communication menu. For the first method, it is the 81mm mortars battery, for the second method, it is the M119 battery.

beita: SOM is going to serve them one at a time. I'm not in a position where I can test this directly, but try requesting artillery twice after you do the second one and see what happens.

The first method isn't going to work.

Just to be clear the arty module is your battery variable. Even if you used another method and it worked, the right way to do it is to use the arty module. Any other method is unsupported.

I am confused now. Just checked with my sample mission, if I take the module as battery variable, nothing happens.

If I take the group of the artillery, it works like a charm. Could you check, please?

Edit:

I think I found a bug:

Part of "BIS_ARTY_F_GetScope"

_logic = (synchronizedObjects _x) select 0;
if (typeOf _logic == "BIS_ARTY_Logic") then {_scope = _logic;};

Part of "BIS_ARTY_F_BatteryLead"

_objs = synchronizedObjects _scope; [i]<- _scope should be objNull when calling the template with a group as battery-variable, I think, which would be strange[/i]
   if (count _objs > 0) then
   {
       _lead = _objs select 0; [i]<- this should be executed when template is called with logic as battery, which might be buggy[/i]
   } else // Check if old method is being used.
   {
       if ((leader group _scope) isKindOf "AllVehicles") then
       {
           _lead = leader group _scope; [i]<- this should be executed when template is called with group as battery[/i]

Because of "_logic = (synchronizedObjects _x) select 0;" I assume you expect a logic entity to be "(synchronizedObjects _x) select 0"

If one now calls the battery-template with the module-logic as battery-variable, _scope should be the logic, hence "count _objs" > 0, hence "_lead = _objs select 0;" is executed, which would be the logic again, and not the lead unit. That is, if my assumption is correct that "synchronizedObjects" returns an array with a logic as first element.

The fuctions mentioned reside as inline in "ARTY_CommonFunctions.sqf"

Edited by schaefsky

schaefsky:

You did not find a bug, you found a piece of code that is no longer intended to be used--look very carefully around that part of it that you quoted. It's also part of the reason why that didn't appear in the documentation on the biki.

The Artillery Logic is the "battery". It may work if you pass the group under some limited circumstances, but that method is not supported.

I also tested your mission. It seems to work fine for me when I refer to the ARTY Logic as the battery, but you have all of the artillery pieces (instead of just one) synced, which is unecessary.

Edited by Headspace

any way to make the shells explode in the air above the target? loved that in UA from COC and wondering if that is possible here?

In Arma1, I made a fuze VT simulation (variable time fuze, aka proximity fuze) for my own artillery experiments. Although it was rather simple 'point and click' artillery, it was impossible to get the desired fuze VT results using the same shell. I had to make different shells for each of the fuzes to obtain believable results. I had for HE different shells for impact HE (fuze quick), 7m VT fuze (M728/M732), and 20m VT fuze (M513/M514). Increasing HOB should reduce the damage done significantly, while increasing its splash damage. My 20m VT had little to no effect on vehicles and armor, yet remained very effective against enemy personell. It was a potent replacement to APICM rounds, which has some operational limits you will never see be upheld by typical players.

From what I can see in the available classes, there is only one HE shell, and no fuze options. So I doubt this will be available without addons. I would looooove to be wrong though :)

Hey, im using this example ari mission (ArtyDemo_MLRS_SOM.zip for the BIS Wiki).

You can add new ari requests via radio. Don't wanna do this. I want to add a new ari request ~10-20 minutes after the last one automaticaly. So you can fire artillery after the artillery reloaded. (Using mlrs launcher)

Anybody an idea how to implement it? Any events of the ArtilleryModule i could use?

Bubi: Make a script that sleeps for 10 or 20 minutes, then adds the request. Pretty simple.

that works for the first time, but after i adds the request there is undefined time until the player is using the artillery. after that i have to restart the script but i dont know how.

I also tested your mission. It seems to work fine for me when I refer to the ARTY Logic as the battery

Did you change anything else? How long does it take until the battery starts to shoot?

I just can't get it to work with the logic.

First, I named the ARTY logic so that there was a variable to reference it by. Then, I used that variable as the battery parameter in the ExecuteMission function.

Got it to work now, don't know why I could not get it to work earlier.

Many thanks for your efforts!

Many thanks for your efforts!

My pleasure. I am extremely happy that people are having fun with it.

How do you tell artillery how many rounds they have to shot ? for example if i would like a BM21 to fire 5 or 40 Rounds ?

How do you tell artillery how many rounds they have to shot ?

The easiest way to do that is in the fire mission template, in the documentation.

The easiest way to do that is in the fire mission template, in the documentation.

when you say documentation you mean the wiki ?

another question about artillery, why am i limitted to one shot ? BM21 fires 10 of its 40 rounds but is no more available to request another strike, same thing with mortar teams

In the sample missions from wiki, how would I change the ammo used from HE to WP on the MLRS?

I have 2 arty positoins and want to make a strike on the 2 positions, but when i activate strike both of them shots on the second position.

[group m1, getPosASL artystr, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 1, 10]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

[group m2, getPosASL artystr2, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 1, 10]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

If i activate second strike after 20-30 seconds some boms falls on the first position (artystr) but most of them on the artystr2. Why?

Edited by MiXeR

It looks like you're using groups instead of logics to refer to your artillery batteries, Mixer. Do you have two seperate logics? Because if you are using just one logic, it will treat it as one battery.

Works like a dream. Is it possible to (in the sample MLRS missions, which I used to tweak with) to shut off the SecOps so I dont get any tasking at all? I just want the arty.