Sign in to follow this  
TCEd

Idea for a Demo!

I read the closed thread on ppl asking about a demo for ARMA2. I find it funny that ppl post stuff like, "they don't need to spend time on a demo" and comments along those lines, but they forget that a demo is already being used by all those gaming communities doing those movies, screenshots & reviews.

There not just making this stuff up on their own, their using a demo of the game. My idea is that BI simply use that version as the official demo.

According to one review by a Russian group, not sure which one, (read article) the demo they received had the following;

"In beta we found 3 Scenarios, 2 training missions and 1 Story Line Campaign."

That would be more than enough to satisfy ARMA2 fans till the release, that is of course if the media & reviews are finished with it. No need to toss it, give it to us, we'll put good use to it. :D

Anyway, just throwing an idea out there, hopefully this is what they planned all along.

That's not a demo, it's a preview version. It's full of bugs and WIP stuff, so it would totally fail the idea of a demo, which (as the name indicates) should demonstrate the finished game in its various aspects. While the preview version (as the name indicates) previews the game to have an impression on what you can expect from the game once it's finished, so the press has something to write about. If the preview version would be released to public, there would be no need for press.

1 tutorial, 3 sp missions and a coop , a traditional mp mission and a warefare mission :)

That's not a demo, it's a preview version. It's full of bugs and WIP stuff, so it would totally fail the idea of a demo, which (as the name indicates) should demonstrate the finished game in its various aspects. While the preview version (as the name indicates) previews the game to have an impression on what you can expect from the game once it's finished, so the press has something to write about. If the preview version would be released to public, there would be no need for press.

If the preview version was released to the public, all the negative people would kill the game.

Even before the game got finished.

A real demo version of Arma would have been a snippet of the Editor with a handful of resources on a small island map. It would be a demonstration of Arma's main focus: that of thoughtful and dynamic gameplay, that requires some effort from the player but has the flexibility to create experiences. It would show off the mission creator aspect which is unparalleled and the vast majority of new players miss, the AI, the non-linear, free and tactical approach to gameplay and it would give a small taste of the environment and arsenal.

It would stand out against the preset, on-rails shooters like COD; the multiplayer even as a demo would be vastly more varied than what is typical but as a double-edged sword, it would weed out the people who are fit for the Arma gameplay. It would definitely scare gamers that are looking for a twitchy shooter, but may also alienate the ones who would enjoy the slow tactical gameplay but aren't willing to mess with editors. That latter problem can be worked around with a couple pre-made missions but nevertheless any editor as a first experience, is something terrifying for many.

IMHO, a clip of the campaign or a set mission is misleading to what actually Arma offers and forces actual comparison to rail-shooters such as COD and Crysis. But it could mean more sales as well, if the visual and gameplay experience is attractive enough.

I think the most important idea for a demo is to publish it before the release of the game.

While I agree with arigram that a limited version of the editor should be in the demo I would also expect a few ready-to-play missions which show what professional people can do with the editor.

lol, you guys want everything, it's a demo for crying out loud. The negative ppl are already trying to kill the game, demo or not. My point was that if they wanted to release the media version as a demo, I for one would be happy with that. I wouldn't complain that it didn't have an editor or missions that I thought it should have, I would be happy that I have something rather than nothing.

Assuming that the negative people you mention are media people who have received the media version I would prefer not to see this same media version as a demo.

Only if the code had not been changed in any way since the production of the media version it would be a valid demo. I hope that the media version is obsolete by now. But if BIS should publish a new media version containing the latest code, that might be OK as a demo.

What I mean by negative ppl is that ppl who are bent on being negative for the sake of distruction will do so regardless of a demo release, so don't pay those ppl any mind.

I'm also not saying that those who have put reviews up with honest comments about problems or issues in the game are being negative for the sake of killing the game.

I'm glad they have been honest with their comments and most of them have also pointed out they believe many of the issues they have encountered has been because of the demo's limitations.

No demo is a full game & while we would like in a perfect world for the demo to be what it's name suggest, it's never the case. Look at the Arma1 demo and how bad it was compared to the actual game. That demo cost the game a lot of gamers, myself included for quite a while, not until a friend of mine got to talking with me and told me that the demo for Arma was a very poor representation of the actual game. I believed him and bought the full game & was pleasantly surprised to find he was right.

Anyone who bases their entire perception of a game solely on the demo, as I once did, is missing the big picture, the demo is going to be limited, buggy & only give a taste of what the full game can do. So again I say that the media evaluation copy would do me fine as demo, I won't refuse to buy the full game simply because the demo has bug's, that would be silly, who expects a demo to be perfect.

Edited by TCEd

Ok, try this approach: You are someone who doesn't know about OFP or ArmA.

You read something about military simulator and you're interested. So now you see there's a "demo". Of course you want to try it.

You didn't read about receptions from media yet, so you don't have any positive or negative attitude. You're just curious.

Ok, now this version is, as you would want it, the preview version for media. Assumed you can get the thing up and running (which doesn't have to be a natural matter), it will crash all the time (wether if it's because double assigned keys or if it's just because the version is WIP). Now what will your possible reception of this all-the-time-crashing "demo" be? (Apart from the features that are not implemented yet, the totally sucking AI... etcetc.)

Release a demo of a training island with a brief mission that has a story that links with the final game leaving them wanting more.

As long as the mission is actually involving and interesting

I think the best idea for a demo would be a remake of Rahmadi from Arma, as sort of a way to thank the Arma players and show the improvements in Arma II.

EDIT: I should expand on this idea and mention that it'd be a good way to show what Arma II has to offer without actually giving too much.

Edited by Praelium

Same thing that they did with ArmA 1. Some MP missions, as well as a SP mission? I haven't played the demo in a long time so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

I only get demos mainly to see how my system will run the game, and so i can tweak with settings etc.

I wont get this game till i've got a demo to see how my system runs the game. Its high settings or nothing.

I only get demos mainly to see how my system will run the game, and so i can tweak with settings etc.

I wont get this game till i've got a demo to see how my system runs the game. Its high settings or nothing.

Might as well just leave then :P

I wouldn't mind a demo with just the editor in a small island and a few selection of units to test some things out and see how it runs on the computer..

I wouldnt mind if it gave us a 500 by 500 m patch of land to explore.

Good thing i know what BIS and ArmA is. Renders a demo useless as i know i will buy it. I see no other tactical simmy FPS in the same juicy class as ArmA, and therefor there is nothing else i can test if i want this style of FPS (dont mention DR to me please). Done deal really in'it?! :)

Test ArmA1 and imagine it 10,000,000 something times better. Should be done deal for you too if you want this type of FPS. ;)

Here is my idea for a demo version:

1. Full content, incl editor.

2. Single player mission playable for only 30 minutes, then restart or choose new.

3. Similar with editor. 30 minute sessions is enough to have fun with, but too frustrating to "work" with.

4. Important NOT to exit to desktop. Quitting should be an active action. It's easier to choose 'restart a mission' than restating the demo.

5. Possible to join a full version server on LAN only. That way people who are really not that interrested could join the few hour LAN fun.

6. Not possible to create/host a LAN game. At least one version must be full. Maybe every 5th gamer would need a full version?

7. 60 minute maximum LAN session under these circumstances. So no lenghty campaign stuff would be possible.

8. No internet verification stuff. A couple of times we didn't have, or lost, our internet. Some might arrange a friend LAN at a cabin with no internet etc.

9. Maybe incompatible with dedicated servers. Wouldn't allow us the most advanced games, but give enough room to have some fun together.

Reasoning behind this 'crazy' idea ;) : Today when I'm at a LAN with my friends, we sit there playing our games of choice on the internet, just as we're doing at home. Not very social compared to what it used to be like. I have no interrest on playing or buying WOW/UT/COD/Whatever for that 3 times a year session, and most of my friends have no interrest in the same for Arma2. As for playing demos together, the general feeling is 'why bother'. If we can't see it all, we'd rather go with what we know...

By applying such a strategy, I might influence some of my friends to think that Arma2 is a great game and 'rescue' them from COD ;) It allows some easy LAN fun without everyone having to buy the game (which will never happen). It allows potensial players to try the whole deal in a LAN environment without spending money. There is no way I can persuade them to buy something they don't know. There is no way I will degrade a fully working installation to a demo version to play with my friends if I already have a full version. Never had Arma demo, so I'm not sure how this works though.

I'm not sure if Arma2 is the best candidate for this system since it is more of a niche product compared to general fun shooters anyway which we seem to like for LAN fun. But 'catching' LAN players in an enviroment that makes the most fun (fragging friends) and testing in a FULL multiplayer version with no/few hazzles, is bound to produce more players and eventually buyers than those crappy demos around that doesn't let us do 'anything'.

I'll probably never be a COD customer due to the nature of the game. But during a LAN I would probably have great fun fragging my friends, if that one legal licence were able to host for full 'demo' players. If not, I'll play Arma like I do nonstop anyways. Meaning I'm not seeing the full potensial of the COD game. Meaning I'll never try COD internet gaming which would require me to buy it.

BIS doesn't need to make a demo for us OFP or Armed Assault gamers. We're pretty much mandatory buyers and I think they know it. They need to create a believable 'hype' for the 'potensial' buyers. We will off course help with that if the demo is released afterwards. Lots of bugs and experience killers sure wouldn't help with that.

BIS is already giving the buyers quite high benefits by building in NoCD patch after a while. Why not extend this service to potensial buyers?

Would this 'work' for Arma2 being a niche product? How about i.e. next COD if that was a more 'fun' example? Or is this simply too flexible for any game developer to seriously consider?

Just discussing a possible demo strategy.

Hi, a possible good idea for a Demo, may be the trainning missions plsu the 1St or 2Nd

camapign missions, to show the AI, the game's performance and a bit of the history

line. Let's C ya

Yes, those are all great idea's, but lots of ppl would cry no! as it would take away valuable time from finishing the product to complete a "quality" demo, my idea to take the one that is already in existence (the media evaluation copy), which doesn't require any work at all, just someone from BI to give us a download link. :D

My idea doesn't cost any time or effort, other than putting in a .zip or .rar file, and it's practical, no day dreaming required, just put out the demo you gave to the media, I will be happy with that BI, no need to jump through hoops for me, just hand out that copy, believe me all these guys will download it, don't let them fool ya!:yay:

No you won't. You won't be happy. Nobody will.

Oh, we all say we'll be happy, but as soon as the demo is in our hands, there would be a dozen new threads on here complaining about this or expressing concern over that, then the dance would begin again. People's memories are short, and they don't really know what they want even as they ask for it.

The evolution of this thread is amazing, as it has become a bunch of people bargaining with an invisible BIS employee for the release of a demo before a demo is ready. People post as though they have only to write the correct combination of words to inspire BIS and unlock the demo for everybody. BIS has it under control. Sit back and wait. Stop wringing your hands over what the demo may or may not be.

Edited by Squint

Hand wringing aside, you are right about one thing, ppl will complain, good demo or bad demo, post's about an idea for a demo... ppl will complain.

Oh, you can write it up any way you want, throw everyone in same bag and tell they won't be happy, I know that I would be, cuz I know me. I don't know what you would cuz I can't read your mind, but given you statements you would probably be right there will all the rest of the whiners, posting how bad this is & how buggy that is, while I would be off playing the demo.

Edited by TCEd

I would like a demo as much as the next guy... but releaseing a demo from an un-finished, bug filled version of the game is the worst idea in the history of gaming, especially for BIS and the ArmA series.

Lets not forget the release of ArmA1 was extreamly bug filled, and I would go as far as to say ArmA1 was the most unfinished game I have ever played when it first came out. BIS lost a ton of credability with the non-fanboy crowd because of it, and if BIS wants to sell copies of ArmA2 to anyone but the super hardcore fanbase, they cannot give the appearence that ArmA2 will have the same unfinished, extreamly buggy launch. Releaseing the preview version of the game will do just that, and likely spell doom for ArmA2, all so you can play it a tad bit early.

Its one thing to give a buggy/unfinished version to game sites to write early previews... but a player demo is suppose to be as represenative of the final version of the game as possible, and help people get intrested enough in the game to want to buy it. To be honest, game demos are not intended to entertain thoes who already plan to buy the game... most people seem to think they are anymore, but that is not their main goal. Their goal is to sell more copies of the game... and BIS is not going to, and should not release a terribly unfinished demo just because some members of the community are selfish and want want want right this minut. The game likely comes out in a month or two... just be patient.

Rgr that, good post stakex, you won me over, I can see your logic & agree. To be honest I didn't realize the media demo was so bugged filled, I didn't see that posted or commented on any of the game reviews so far, just got the impression that the media version was good enough for all those ppl writing reviews & checking out every detail of the game. Must be they held the bug comments back & only posted the good stuff.

Well I for one am hoping that they release a demo regardless of how good it is because it looks that's all I'll get to play for a while seeing that no news on when a US release has been announced, hopefully I can download it from Steam or somewhere.