Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Mouse movement in ArmA II

Godd*mnit son of a b*tch don't tell me ArmA 2 also has this lag/smoothing. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Mouse smoothing is the main reason I didn't buy ArmA and stuck with OFP, I just can't stand it :(

I won't buy this game either if it's like ArmA. Cba getting shot in the face and restarting because the game is irresponsive and I can't aim properly.

Confirmed. ARMA 2 has mouse smoothing. It's the main reason why majority of players are not buying the game, but BIS fails to understand this.

Edited by Leopardi

I've read several complaints about this, and it seems like no one supports it. I think BIS may have added it to prevent their games from being a "wrist flicker" like Counter-Strike, but it seems that they may have to take the risk.

Just adding this again. Maybe i added it already but this helped many with mouse lag.

Windows - Control Panel - Mouse. Turn "ENHANCE MOUSE POINTER" off. Now go test ARMA2. I tested this and it removed the lag. However if there was real lag as in when my pc cant handle the game - you have lag ofcourse. This is true for most games. But that trick worked for many. So test it! And good luck.

Alex

Your "fix" only removes mouse acceleration, not lag. Which only helps the mouse to drift away even longer when there is no acceleration helping to fight the issue.

You are a tiring guy. This helped many. already said that but you wont listen.

To everyone else with a sane mind: This has helped people with mouse lag. As in unplayable lag. Ive seen it first hand. So test it. If it doesnt help - it doesnt. But at least its something to try.

Just got the demo and tried it out - the mouse smoothing is obvious, and it's similar or the same as in ArmA as far as I remember.

I've read several complaints about this, and it seems like no one supports it. I think BIS may have added it to prevent their games from being a "wrist flicker" like Counter-Strike, but it seems that they may have to take the risk.

Maybe so, I guess it adds to the realism that it's harder to aim due to the mouse smoothing.

Sadly though it feels laggy when you're used to games where the mouse is completely responsive, like quake, cs, or even the original OFP.

Just adding this again. Maybe i added it already but this helped many with mouse lag.

Windows - Control Panel - Mouse. Turn "ENHANCE MOUSE POINTER" off. Now go test ARMA2. I tested this and it removed the lag. However if there was real lag as in when my pc cant handle the game - you have lag ofcourse. This is true for most games. But that trick worked for many. So test it! And good luck.

Alex

I already had it disabled. Unchecking the setting usually removes just mouse acceleration. Meaning a mouse movement of say 5 cm of your mouse will always cause the same mouse pointer movement on-screen (or turning degree ingame) no matter how fast the movement was. I can imagine having mouse acceleration would make ARMA2 almost unplayable indeed.

I'll be messing around with the demo a bit, seems like a good game otherwise so far.

By the way how big of a mouse dead zone do you guys use? I can't figure out what's best :p

BUMP

This is killing the game, and will be the reason why it flops. So much potential here too..shame.

Coming from high levels of competitive play in CSS and other competitive FPS games, this will fail without a mouse fix. The admin who posted about pointer precision wasn't helping because anyone who STILL has that checked shouldnt be gaming in the first place. This smoothing is terrible and keeps you from precise aiming like top FPS shooters..never run across a game that thinks this is okay to play on...I def wont be buying this and neither will anyone that plays competitively, just pub nubs that are oblivious anyway, FIX THIS PLEASE AND SAVE THIS GAME.

The aiming needing to be precise is a basic fundamental aspect of an FPS game. Pretty sad the buyers have to bring this to the attention of the creators.

Edited by Farout

There is a simple fix to this.

1. Go into the control panel/mouse/Select "pointer options"/ Uncheck "Enhance Pointer Precision."

2. Nvidia card owners go into Nvidia Control Panel/Manage 3D settings/Select "Program Setting" tab and create one for Arma 2 (find the Arma 2.exe with the "Add" function.) Under "Maximum pre-rendered Frames Select "8."

You may have higher options for the pre-rendered frames as I only have a 8800gts 512mb G92. But this cleared it up for me. As well don't get to aggressive with the "high" settings yet. Some you can get away with, others really bog performance which is obviously needing attention in a future patch that we don't currently have. So for now live with it, the game still looks and runs great.

Intel Dual Core E8400 3.0ghz @ 3.6ghz

DDR2 4GB G.Skill PC-8500 @ 1066mhz

EVGA 8800GTS 512mb G92 @ 770/1010/1700 (Core/Memory/Shader)

Windows 7 RC 64bit

Face palm this game will likely never have perfect 1:1 mouse movement the game unfortunately has Microsoft's proprietary 360 controller support and that ads this horrible mouse acceleration curve to the game to compensate for the uneven resistance on the 360 controllers analog. Bioshock and most other games natively compatible with the 360 controller have this problem.

Face palm this game will likely never have perfect 1:1 mouse movement the game unfortunately has Microsoft's proprietary 360 controller support and that ads this horrible mouse acceleration curve to the game to compensate for the uneven resistance on the 360 controllers analog. Bioshock and most other games natively compatible with the 360 controller have this problem.

Guess you're right. There's just this weird smoothness which makes precise aiming harder than in other games.

The "fixes" posted here and elsewhere probably only kill any additional mouselag people may have caused by graphics card or mouse drivers.

BUT I think I'm getting used to it though, so I guess other people can too :) Also, I feel a maximum dead zone plays the best for infantry at least but this may be preference.

Edited by cullBo

This Mouse lag affects my TrackIR as well which is unacceptable, Ive managed to reduce the lag from mouse to acceptable level, but TrackIR lag is high.

This issue must be related to something that the player has, not something that is wrong with the game.

you posted, Leopardi, is not at all what happens to me even if my FPS drops down below 10. Frankly I've never had an issue like that in ArmA nor ArmA II, and my mouse is a Logitech G9. So I'm wondering if BIS actually even has the ability to fix it.

This issue must be related to something that the player has, not something that is wrong with the game.
you posted, Leopardi, is not at all what happens to me even if my FPS drops down below 10. Frankly I've never had an issue like that in ArmA nor ArmA II, and my mouse is a Logitech G9. So I'm wondering if BIS actually even has the ability to fix it.

i experienced mouse lag when my video options was set on high, once i lowered/put on normal the lag has gone. Maybe you have a background process that's draining your cpu! put all video options on low and see if you still get mouse lag.

He has has vsync enabled so in that vid it looks bit worse than with vsync forced off. If you enable vsync you get same results.

Good call! I forgot about Bioshock. I had this same trouble playing that game and eventually gave up on it. But then again I don't think Bioshock is as fun as Arma2 would be. I'm still on the fence about buying this.

BUMP

This is killing the game, and will be the reason why it flops. So much potential here too..shame.

Coming from high levels of competitive play in CSS and other competitive FPS games, this will fail without a mouse fix. The admin who posted about pointer precision wasn't helping because anyone who STILL has that checked shouldnt be gaming in the first place. This smoothing is terrible and keeps you from precise aiming like top FPS shooters..never run across a game that thinks this is okay to play on...I def wont be buying this and neither will anyone that plays competitively, just pub nubs that are oblivious anyway, FIX THIS PLEASE AND SAVE THIS GAME.

The aiming needing to be precise is a basic fundamental aspect of an FPS game. Pretty sad the buyers have to bring this to the attention of the creators.

Arma isnt an ordinary FPS, it stands out as a different beast, if you come to this game with the pre-conception that its gonna be like all the other FPS titles, then this aint the game 4 u is it?

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

I do agree with this, your first post, but i personally find that its the vehicals that are very difficult to contol with a mouse. The standard controlls work for me though, jump in a hummer and im pissed at the wheel. Arma 1 was easier to control so i am confident that a fix is possible.

As a PC gamer i am constantly dismayed by the cross contamination due to the console market. While this may not nececarily completely ruin the PC gaming experience, it certainly dont make the £1500 spent on hardware every 2-3 years feel worth it.

In Arma1 and Arma2 I get that syrup-like mouse behaviour when the gfx are set too high. I only ever experienced it when I was tuning the game for my PC - which I do by setting everything high and then trying different degradations until i get fps and proper responsiveness .

So, maybe you've got your settings too high. Video card settings can make a big difference with the render-ahead count, vsync, filtering, quality vs performance etc etc

In Arma1 and Arma2 I get that syrup-like mouse behaviour when the gfx are set too high. I only ever experienced it when I was tuning the game for my PC - which I do by setting everything high and then trying different degradations until i get fps and proper responsiveness .

So, maybe you've got your settings too high. Video card settings can make a big difference with the render-ahead count, vsync, filtering, quality vs performance etc etc

it's not the settings that make it lag, it's the fps under 100 that makes the smoothing to generate huge lag.

it's not the settings that make it lag, it's the fps under 100 that makes the smoothing to generate huge lag.

So it is the settings then. lower settings = more fps (sometimes) and all that. no offence.

personaly when im on MP i just bang all the settings to low but keep the view distance good(ish)

I have messed around with my mouse settings alot as well.

Unfortunatly it seems to just deppend on your machine. even if you have the exact same componants as some one else, they will always behave diferently. at least arma 2 is alot more playable then arma 1. it didnt seem to matter what settings i used in the first one i still got mouse lag. (same machine, I still have it installled)

OFP by contrast, i never had a problem with.

But I don't get why couldn't there simply just be an option to turn off the mouse smoothing?
I dont think this is a mouse smoothing. Rather Arma engine bug.

I dont think this is a mouse smoothing. Rather Arma engine bug.

It's 100% mouse smoothing. That's how it acts. It calculates and does the averaging of your mouse movement for a pre-set amount of frames, which causes the mouse to respond your movements only after those frames have been rendered. The value is very high in ARMA&ARMA 2. That's why mouse lag is unnoticeable at high FPS 100+, but kills the gameplay totally at lower framerates.

Edited by Leopardi

Mouse movement is done to some gamepads too, not exclusively to pc mouses.

Whole episode of that Mi machine, which first stole good development time of G2 in 2003-05,when BIS made Elite which didnt sold, although there were some general progress what ve been mentioned earlier, but BIS hassled too much whit CM. They should have broken immediately after OFP 01 release when they got some cash to get independence.

There is plenty of files in A2 in configs Which all have name XBOX_something... I am pretty disappointed that how much our PC game have suffered throught years whit have to carry on things not 100% to made considered about us. I am only critizing ppl who get paid of this games and the rest of community is though excellent what has carried us so long.

He has has vsync enabled so in that vid it looks bit worse than with vsync forced off. If you enable vsync you get same results.

No you don't, not all of us have this problem with mouse lag or smoothing or acceleration or whatever you want to call it.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

It's 100% mouse smoothing. That's how it acts. It calculates and does the averaging of your mouse movement for a pre-set amount of frames, which causes the mouse to respond your movements only after those frames have been rendered. The value is very high in ARMA&ARMA 2..

What are the values? Do you know?

That's why mouse lag is unnoticeable at high FPS 100+, but kills the gameplay totally at lower framerates.

Not true for me or 6 others I know and play with. My mouse is just as responsive at 20 fps at 60 or even 90 fps in game. There has to be a combination of hardware and software that causes these problems.

It's mouse acceleration, which means the faster you turn the quicker it turns, and the turrents on the vehicles have negitive acceleration if you try to turn them too fast. It's obviously the way the game was designed, to make it feel like the weapon has weight, though it would be nice to have the option to dissable it.

By the way, if XP has mouse acceleration by default, which might add to that of the game and make the control really wonky, so if you are running XP dissabling it might be worth a try:

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/files/82/