Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

could i run this with this set up?

AMD PHENOM X2 555 ( CORES UNLOCKED SO X4) AT 3.6

4 GBS RIPJAW RAM

GTX 465 SUPERCLOCKED

Think so, yeah, even if the unlocked cores dont run stable, 2 cores are enough as long as they clocked higher than 2.5

If you already got it all together, run the OA demo to see for yourself

could i run this with this set up?

AMD PHENOM X2 555 ( CORES UNLOCKED SO X4) AT 3.6

4 GBS RIPJAW RAM

GTX 465 SUPERCLOCKED

YES!!! You could most likely run on higher settings aslong as you play on an average res but you can defintly play.

I recently got an ATI HD4870x2 2GB, after having an ATI HD4870x1 1GB for quite some time. I currently have them crossfired equaling a total of 3 GPU's and 3GB of video ram. I am wondering if Operation Arrowhead utilizes all three of these GPU's. I'm not having any problems with the game, just curious if it's actually using all three GPU's.

Are there any programs to monitor my GPU activity? I'm also planning on getting a new CPU due to the fact that I think my CPU might be a bottleneck for my GPU's and would like some input.

Here are my specs:

(I know it says CrossFire is disabled, but I actually have it enabled.)

2192fm1.jpg

2uy6mmh.jpg

So even with my i7 920 CPU - stock speed 2.66GhZ - overclocked to 3.8GHZ, the bottleneck with a pair of GTX570s appears to be the cpu - again at least at resolutions of 1920X1080 or less....

So unless your CPU is ALOT stronger than an i7 920 overclocked above 3.8GHZ and/or your monitor resolution is above 1920X1080 it makes little sense to get a card much stronger than a GTX570 - at least for Arma2 which remains very much processor dependent.

Something is wrong with your setup unless you are doing your testing in a city.

I've done a lot of testing and I've seen up to a ~90% increase with SLI enabled. This is very dependant on where you are of course.

Well, I got massive increases with the 570s in SLI on all my other games.

In Arma2 on the BM1 and BM2 benchmarks the improvement is just not as apparent. Where I can really tell is that I've substantially increased some of the games graphics settings, in particular the draw distance up by over 25% and have not lost FPS.

By the way do you set SLI mode in the nvidia control panel to nvidia recommended or AFR1 or AFR2? Anything else you might have done to NVIDIA's default profile for Arma2?

Well, I got massive increases with the 570s in SLI on all my other games.

In Arma2 on the BM1 and BM2 benchmarks the improvement is just not as apparent. Where I can really tell is that I've substantially increased some of the games graphics settings, in particular the draw distance up by over 25% and have not lost FPS.

By the way do you set SLI mode in the nvidia control panel to nvidia recommended or AFR1 or AFR2? Anything else you might have done to NVIDIA's default profile for Arma2?

I haven't touched the profile, I used to force AFR2 and use 8FPS pre render instead of the default but you don't need to anymore.

Yeah, if you are using the benchmarks as a benchmark (hehehehe), you might not notice as much. When I was designing a mission on Utes I updated my driver and forgot to re enable SLI. I immediately noticed that it was significantly slower so I checked the FPS with SLI on and off and it was close to 80% faster when SLI was enabled.

Edited by BangTail

@ the users of SLI / Crossfire set-ups:

I ran SLI for a bit with ARMA 1 and I usually got very smooth graphics. ARMA II came out and I was running 2-GTX 260's SLI'd. I could not get the ARMA II demo to run at all. I waited a bit, upgraded the SLI to a 5870 and finally got ARMA II / OA plusa DLC and it all runs very well on the single card.

Has SLI / Crossfire support significantly improved since ARMA II has been patched and optimized?

SLI was never a problem (except for the 1st week of release when there was no profile).

AMD's shoddy drivers continue to let down their otherwise good hardware. Every time they release a new driver one thing is fixed and two more are broken.

Is there a machine on the planet that can get Warfare to run at about 45 FPS?

For info, there is a thread on the Overclockers UK etailer site with someones Arma2 experience going from a Q6600 system to one based around the new Sandy Bridge CPUs. Some lively discussion around the gains.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18226717

The OP should've tested with aa off and put the resolution on 1680x1050 or something. Now the gpu is slowing him down sometimes whereas previously the cpu was.

In the other test the 2500k absolutely destroys (,is twice as fast as) the q6600. (both cpu's generally overclock about 50% with a good cooler so performance on stock is a good comparison imo)

Edited by Leon86

The OP should've tested with aa off and put the resolution on 1680x1050 or something. Now the gpu is slowing him down sometimes whereas previously the cpu was.

In the other test the 2500k absolutely destroys (,is twice as fast as) the q6600. (both cpu's generally overclock about 50% with a good cooler so performance on stock is a good comparison imo)

It OWNS the overclocked q6600! Period!

I have one overclocked to 3.4 and my 2600k at stock gets at least 8-10 fps more in the arma benchmark 1.

My 2600k at stock gets 1-2fps more than my overclocked i930 @3.8 in the same benchmark same hardware.

Is it worth it? Hell YES. It's much easier to overclock without messin with voltage etc.. and it cost as much as my i930 when I bought it.

Easy to overclock, cheap to buy, gets over 4.4 easily = WIN

Hey Rowdied - I ordered all the same parts as you (basically) let us know how Arma performs after you OC.

I will have i7 2600k soon, maybe this week, everything is in store except processor. I will also let you know about the perfomance increase when going from E6850@3.6Ghz + GTX580 to i7-2600k@4.5Ghz + GTX580. :)

I bought GTX580 three weeks ago because of very good price(now its my price+40€ in the same store).

i'm' waiting for asus Maximus IV Extreme... :(

Edited by Sberla101

Lot's of diehard overclockers are waiting for that board. If I were buying now I'd probably get a gigabyte UD4 and a 2500K. With unlocked multiplier overclocking the only thing that really matters is the cpu power regulation. The 160eu boards have plenty imo. As long as you have reasonable airflow.

Lot's of diehard overclockers are waiting for that board. If I were buying now I'd probably get a gigabyte UD4 and a 2500K. With unlocked multiplier overclocking the only thing that really matters is the cpu power regulation. The 160eu boards have plenty imo. As long as you have reasonable airflow.

Hey, Leon I am going with the i5 2500k CPU, what is the performance differance between the gigabyte UD4 and gigabyte UD3 MOBO. $30 more but what do you get for the money!

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

There won't be a performance difference.

The only real difference is that the UD3 only supports Crossfire while the UD4 has support for both SLI and CF.

Edited by BangTail

Yup, and the UD3 goes to 4x mode on one of the Pci-e slots. And the ud4 has more vrm's around the socket. I'd say the ud4 is well worth the 20 euro's extra.

Yup, and the UD3 goes to 4x mode on one of the Pci-e slots. And the ud4 has more vrm's around the socket. I'd say the ud4 is well worth the 20 euro's extra.

Thanks what about the UD3p mobo !

Thanks what about the UD3p mobo !

on the gigabyte website you can compare for yourself. I'm not sure how much "stuff" and "phases" you need for what level of overclocking but I do see the UD4 has more "stuff" around the socket than the ud3 :)

Hello Dear members of the Arma and the OA Forum,

i have a Question about my Hardware

I still have follow components to Play Operation Arrowhead:

Mainboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3 ( 1156 Socket )

CPU: I7 860 2.80 GHZ

RAM: Kingston 1333 8 GB ( 4 * 2GB )

Graphic: Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1gb

I use follow Mods

• Ace for OA last version
  • WarFx Blastcore

The Arma 2 benchmark E2 in Operation Arrowhead gives me only 10 fps

The E08 Operation Arrowhead Benchmark gives me only 22 fps

I using follow Graphic Settings:

All Very High

AA is of

3D Resolution: 1920*1200

Interface Resolution: 1920*1200

Visibility: 3027

I want upgrade my System to a Intel i7 950,

Mainboard Gigabyte X58 UD3 and 2 * GTX 460 OC 1 GB

Does Support this GAME SLI ?

I have both Games OA and Arma 2

Thanks for your Help

Sorry for my English :confused:

Answers in English and German are welcome

@islakn

I wouln't upgrade to that, the performance gain will be very low. If you want to improve performance the easiest thing is to get faster pc is getting a good cooler and overclock a bit and replace the gpu with a more powerfull one.

With your current system you should be able to play just fine though, take time to adjust settings until you see what makes the game look good and what makes it look better.

This game does support SLI, yep. Before you go and buy that expensive new CPU (and a 2nd GPU) - try to overclock your current one and check the performance. If there is no significant increase, you could have a bottleneck someplace else.