Sign in to follow this  
arigram

Armed Assault on Linux through Wine

I think best would be to start get the demo running. It is only v1.06 but the 3d rendering problem should be visible there too.

The demo can be downloaded by the developers or other people that can help getting this game running.

When testing the demo Wine/demo just crash for me. Is this the same for you guys/girls?

Any idea what is causing this?

For example, right now I'm getting an error that says it needs Pixel Shader 2.0 support using wine 1.1.1. Anyone have a clue which native DLL calls that?

You probably need to update or reinstall your graphics drivers. I had this problem in Ubuntu and did an update of the drivers that solved the problem with this error message. (Using Nvidia drivers that is)

I'm running the latest drivers, so that's not the problem. I'm wondering if there might be an issue with running it on a 64 bit machine. My system is built on an AMD 64x2 4400.

I've had to set this problem aside for the time being as I have several other projects backed up.

Based upon past experience with other games, I don't think that spending time on the demo will be beneficial. It's still the same basic game engine, after all. Besides, 1.14 is more stable in general.

What we could benefit from it is the fact the the devs will have access to the demo. If they should test the game they would actually have to buy it.

I know it's offtopic but I just happened to run my first BI game on Linux and it's such a strange thing to me for I use Linux 24h/7days in office and Microsoft only for BI games:

I just installed OFP1 on Ubuntu 9.10 (64Bit) using wine (which I did install within less than 20 min incl. OpenOffice-package). It worked immediately with only each time of Install-CD changing I did "hang out" the CDs manually.

Even Multiplayer worked fine though I did not upgrade to 1.96 now and couldn't participate in any online game nevertheless (with GOTY 1.85). Graphics/sounds are absolutely fine but a bit laggy with around a 20 fraps.

So I wouldn't think there is a nice show like a fluent Armed Assault or even Arma2 by now.

Edited by Herbal Influence
spelling

AA on wine is dead topic. As far as I know cedega supports aa. But in practise cedega is useless crap. Don't buy it. The only normal game i have launched in wine is Half-Life(won version 1.1.1.0). I'll just keep doing everything in ubuntu and play in windows.