Sign in to follow this  
Megahurt

Fix ArmA choppers now!

Every time i see a new patch for Arma i look to see in the change log "improved rudder controls".

I fly the darn thing and the helos are still terrible. Why cant they just make the flight model like OFP. They had it so perfect there and you could perform all the manouvers and flight ops fantastically.

I watch the world abandon flashpoint for Arma AND I TRY AND TRY to get into this game, but for me, helo insertions and dustoff rescues are everything.

I get angry every time i play this dam game and im getting really frustrated.

Does anybody know how to modify the flight.cfg or whatever to make Arma choppers fly like ofp choppers.

-------- And please spare me the crap how Arma is realistic and ofp isnt. Im a licenced pilot and if you push the rudder at over 50 k it certainly will turn the chopper sideways. This arma flight model for choppers stinks. I cant express how angry it makes me.

I keep going back to flashpoint with my VTE, FDF, FFUR and other mods to enjoy a good game by myself. Is anyone else out there experiencing the same frustration?

Does anybody know how to modify the flight.cfg or whatever to make Arma choppers fly like ofp choppers?

Please help.

I feel your pain friend. I was a UH-60 Blackhawk crewchief and mechanic for 7 years in the Army. There is more than just the flight model that make these aircraft a weakness. Survivability was one of the main focus points when they were developing with UH-60. In ArmA if you land hard at all your aircraft either breaks or you completely blow up, it's just ridiculous. The weapons systems are completely wrong compared to real life, the list goes on and on. People have been complaining about these things since the release, I guess they just don't care. I had much more control over my aircraft playing OFP, I also prefer the controls in OFP over ArmA.

CHOMP!!!! U GOTTA DO AZ HIS SAYS!!!

BISKET TIN IN PARISIO CAFE FOR TEH REALIZM!!

Rudders are not the only control surface on helicopters, keep trying.

wow_o.gif

What manouvers are you guys finding so hard to do? I can do anything I want with an ArmA chopper. The chopper flight model is awesome. Seriously, leave it.

The chopper crash system however is crap, and I agree with Monty.

The chopper weapons isn't much of an issue, as these can be changed regardless of the game engine.

Then maybe Flight Simulator should b e the game.

Getting angry about the infantry combat in an infantry game is one thing but getting angry about the flight aspects of an infantry game is out of line, regardless of how one felt about the previous game.

--Ben

I believe you were looking for this patch here: Link.

Right?

EDIT: Seriously though, ArmA isn't advertized as a flight sim. The controls take some getting used to, and they may not be uber-realistic, but they get the job done ok.

CHOMP!!!! U GOTTA DO AZ HIS SAYS!!!

BISKET TIN IN PARISIO CAFE FOR TEH REALIZM!!

Rudders are not the only control surface on helicopters, keep trying.

Quote[/b] ]§12) Do not type in all capital letters

Typing in all caps equals according to standard net etiquette to yelling. It is also difficult reading such posts.

48h PR to give you the chance to read the forum rules forth and back until you understood them.

Megahurt

Even though you're not satisfied with the helicopters this doesn't give you the right to swear here.

We've before had proclaimed pilots, engineers and crewmen on this forum and they've said many contradicting things. Some claiming ofp was better, some prefered arma.

But I really wish someone could answer if flying ofp with a joystick was like on rails like with keyboard/mouse... It would make or break this topic completely.

eg, in ofp, could you perform a 360 degree barrelroll in helo? And did the helo follow terrain?

Overall, and forgive me if this comes as offensive, I feel more advanced players prefer the arma FM.

IMO the freedom in movement and rotation of the new FM is a solid improvement over ofp's on-rails model. If nothing else then at least with keyboard/mouse.

The solution is:

- Make the rudder work at speeds up to ~75-100.

- Make the choppers be able to land harder.

All the ppl that dislike the current values will LOVE it.

All the ppl that like the current values will STILL LOVE it, because they don't loose anything.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Just helo straf running is just kinda akward since the helo always wants to seem to auto centre all the time. Making precise bombing runs on stuff like OFP much more sparatic

I also noticed they removed the main rotar being able to kill infantry that got into it by standing on a rock or etc. seems to do nothing now. Made walking near the blades a more realistic experience making sure u did not get your chop knocked off

Re-learn how to fly the choppers in ArmA. The OP needs to adapt.

OFP's heli flight model was horribly simplistic. In OFP, nap of the earth flying meant holding Q and tilting the helicopter forward. No need to worry about hitting the ground.

The solution is:

- Make the rudder work at speeds up to ~75-100.

- Make the choppers be able to land harder.

All the ppl that dislike the current values will LOVE it.

All the ppl that like the current values will STILL LOVE it, because they don't loose anything.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Exactly.

Yeah I’m also a ‘very experienced RL helo pilot’ and have flown countless different types in my role as a test pilot for the Hyperoll test company. … I have flown so many types and so many hours in fact that I get bored with it and have to resort to flying in ArmA to get my much needed helo adrenalin fix! … LMAO!

Get over it, it’s a game! Even full-blown simulators won’t give you the same experience of real flight dynamics. I agree OFP was better from a ‘feel’ point of view, but was still crap compared to the real thing!

We've before had proclaimed pilots, engineers and crewmen on this forum and they've said many contradicting things. Some claiming ofp was better, some prefered arma.

But I really wish someone could answer if flying ofp with a joystick was like on rails like with keyboard/mouse... It would make or break this topic completely.

eg, in ofp, could you perform a 360 degree barrelroll in helo? And did the helo follow terrain?

Overall, and forgive me if this comes as offensive, I feel more advanced players prefer the arma FM.

IMO the freedom in movement and rotation of the new FM is a solid improvement over ofp's on-rails model. If nothing else then at least with keyboard/mouse.

Flying with a joystick was the same as the mouse in OFP the angle of bank and all that was still restricted, so you were better off just using a mouse in OFP. OFP and ArmA basically have the same flight model but ArmA unlocked the attitude restrictions and terrain following.

Daniel @ April 26 2008,10:16)]wow_o.gif

What manouvers are you guys finding so hard to do? I can do anything I want with an ArmA chopper. The chopper flight model is awesome. Seriously, leave it.

The chopper crash system however is crap, and I agree with Monty.

The chopper weapons isn't much of an issue, as these can be changed regardless of the game engine.

Can you perform a pedal turn at 50 knots? Can you perform a proper roll-on landing at speed? I didn't think so. The ArmA flight model is pretty good, but still needs work. A couple of minor changes could make it dramatically better. No one is asking for a flight simulator, just an improved flight model.

I also vote for somewhat more solid chopper handling, both in flight and hard landings, I mean, yea I'm taking this chopper down to the ground in a hurry but i'm aiming the strongest part to take the strain (aka the bottom of the thing, not the blades) and it just goes wrong almost everytime.

Aircraft were simplified in OFP. ArmA isn't all that realistic either, but it is more so than OFP. And lets not forget, it is just a game. It's not supposed to be a perfect flight simulation.

I also get a kick out of how many "licensed pilots" pop up in these threads. You're mature enough to pilot an aircraft, yet immature enough that you complain about a game not being like the real thing? Well... duh. tounge2.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#loop

_groundAlt = (getPosASL vehicle player select 2) - (getpos vehicle player select 2)

~0.1

vehicle player setPosASL [(getPosASL vehicle player select 0), (getPosASL vehicle player select 1), 2*(getPosASL vehicle player select 2) - (getpos vehicle player select 2) - _groundAlt]

goto "loop"

hehe smile_o.gif

I got the answer on how to fly the choppers.

Practice. I can fly it fairly well after just half an hour and I ain't got no joystick or other crap.

@John McClane

Only the thread starter seriously claimed to be a real life pilot, what are you talking about?

@The Architect

No one said they didn't know how to fly the aircraft. This is a discussion about how to improve the flight characteristics of the aircraft, not how to fly them.

The Blackhawks main landing gear are two-stage oleo shock struts capable of taking up to 11.25 Gs, that's a decent rate of about 39 feet per second. The Blackhawks now have CABS (Cockpit Air Bag System) and other features which makes their survivability one of the best in the world.

My whole point in this thread is to say that the aircraft shouldn't be so fragile and you should be able to perform pedal turns at a higher rate of speed.

Practice. I can fly it fairly well after just half an hour and I ain't got no joystick or other crap.

Agree.

I can now fly keyboard, mouse and joystick pretty good.

We do <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>not want silly OFP flight model</span></span> back.

Then maybe Flight Simulator should b e the game.  

Getting angry about the infantry combat in an infantry game is one thing but getting angry about the flight aspects of an infantry game is out of line, regardless of how one felt about the previous game.

--Ben

Arma is not an Infantry game its more a Battlefield simulator and just so you are aware FS does not simulate combat or weapons in anyway shape or form. And neither does it simulate FBW helicopters.

@John McClane

Only the thread starter seriously claimed to be a real life pilot, what are you talking about?

If you look back at similar threads, there are plenty of supposed real life pilots voicing their concerns... about a game. I find it amusing.

Gnat @ April 26 2008,20:43)]

Agree.

I can now fly keyboard, mouse and joystick pretty good.

We do <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>not want silly OFP flight model</span></span> back.

I agree with this. I don't know how realistic the flight model is or anything since i've never flown a helicopter let alone ever been in one but I find ArmA's flight model to be much, much better than OFP's. OFP kind of seems like they are on a rail or something as many others have said. OFP's was good for OFP but ArmA is awesome for ArmA.

It's definetley better than OFP, but about every other month, some idiot will start a new thread saying OFP was more realistic and demanding BIS to change back to that system. Since BIS actually listens to the community I usually feel compelled, and I see that others do as well, to say that they don't want the OFP flight model back.