Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Images provided by MrCash2009 - Thank You!

sh_forum4.jpg

sh_forum3.jpg

From the Readme:

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Requirements: ArmA 1.08 or higher. No QG required.

Acknowledgements:

I could not have created this without the shared wisdom, help and encouragement from people like Opteryx, Planck, Linker Split,

Phaeden, Edge, Allie and many other good souls in the BIS Map Editing Forum.

Legal:

Permission is granted for personal, military or educational use with Armed Assault or VBS2. Any commercial use is strictly forbidden by

BIS end user license agreement. Permission is granted to distribute this software as long as it is 100% free of charge and this readme

file is distributed with it. I assume no responsibility for any damages this program may cause - use at your own risk. If your video

card overheats or your computer blows up you're on your own.

Installation: Place the Schmalfelden.pbo file in your Arma/Addons folder.

Schmalfelden is a map based on actual terrain in Germany, created using a military 1:50,000 scale topographic map and a Google Earth

image of the area. I selected this area for recreating realistic engagements in a European environment which might typically described

as "good tank country", terrain which Soviet Forces would have sought to exploit with their tank and mechanized infantry forces had the

Cold War ever gone "hot". Another reason I selected this area was because unlike most of Germany, the farming communities in this area

are very small - most towns usually are at least a square kilometer or two. Hopefully the small size of the built up areas will help

the ArmA AI.

Although the ground may appear to be flat (especially from the air) there are actually differences in elevation across the area of 50

meters. Making use of the valleys and draws are critical in your tactical maneuvering.

The map is also well suited for use in WW2 European scenarios. I also find quite a bit of fun to ride around on a motorcycle and

explore the roads and trails and take in the sights from odd corners of the map. Flying NOE in a helicopter is also entertaining in

itself.

Known Issues:

1. These maps have a high object density and require a good system for high FPS. How many objects are in the players line of sight is

the main factor impacting frame rate. Obvious solutions to help improve FPS are reducing the Visibility Range and other Graphics

options, increasing the fog in your mission setup (not unrealistic for Germany) or fighting at night. A less obvious help is setting

up missions so the players primary direction of focus is toward the center of the map where there are fewer forests. Keeping the

forests on the west and northwest side at your back as much as possible is a good idea.

2. This is a 5120 meter x 5120 meter map, not an island - no water around it. Apart from the small size some may not be happy with,

this introduces oddities on the right and lower edge of the playing area, where the overlap of satellite image segments overlaps the

actual image. In effect you lose proper terrain image for some 250 meters on the right and bottom edge. Not particularly noticeable

on foot, but definitely noticeable when flying. I use these areas as setup areas for AI controlled forces to enter the scenario.

Additionally, the ArmA program uses the lower left satellite image segment to cover the area outside of the map playing area.

3. No airfield.

4. The ArmA restriction of 4 textures per map segment (I have 7 total textures on the map) has required some texture fudging where

there are too many texture types in close proximity. Therefore you will find some forest floors with grass instead of leaves and

ferns. There are also some areas where there is light colored grass instead of preferred darker green grass.

Within the constraints of the game engine, I have attempted to make this map as realistic as possible. Here are some exceptions and

other comments:

1. Buildings.

ArmA buildings are in general smaller than the real world buildings. I've done the best I could to determine the

general type of structures, and the close clutter of the structures is realistic. For those not familiar with

Germany, barns and other "out buildings" are usually all "in town" right next to the owners house - sometimes attached. Animals,

manure piles and associated odors too!

The hangar buildings represent the common pre-engineered steel "barns" which are quite evident in the Google image.

The church in Schmalfelden is much larger than the actual church which I found a photo of, but it is more correct in architecture. An

Eastern or Spanish style just didn't look right although the size would be more accurate.

I've used some artistic license in Schmalfelden and Speckheim to make them a bit more interesting.

2. Vegetation.

The forests in the area contain what might be called "lumber nurseries" where trees are harvested for lumber and the area then

replanted with trees in dense rows. Different species of trees and areas with different age trees are evident in the Google image.

While possible to recreate the dress-right-dress" rows of trees, doing so adds even more tree objects than are already on the map. I

opted for a random placement which restricts line of sight without using as many tree objects. Tree and bush placement outside the

forests is generally accurate because of the high resolution Google image used. You'll see single trees standing in the middle of a

wheat fields. They are there because they are really there.

3. Roads

Most German farm field paths and many forest trails are actually paved with light duty asphalt. I thought it a bit "much" to do all

the roads in asphalt and have down-graded many of these to gravel or dirt tracks.

4. Interesting Note

The quarry is know for it's excellent plesiosaur fossils. The area also has a lot of caves.

I request a little slack from German Armed Assault players <g>. I know someone out there knows the area or even lives there, and while

I am certainly open to criticism and correction, please remember I'm using maps, aerial images, and a few images off the net to

construct the map. Plus faded 20+ year old memories when I drove through the area once after visiting Rotenburg which is east of the

map area. (I lived in Thuengersheim, north of Wuerzburg 1985-88 while serving in the US Army.) In any case, please do not be insulted

by my failings or errors.

I would appreciate reports of errors on the map if you can provide coordinates or some description of the location. Contact me on the

BIS ArmA Forums (member name Nicholas Bell).

Enjoy!

Nick Bell

April 2008

V.81 27 April 2008

1. Desaturated greens on satellite map and eliminated some of the whitest farm fields. I believe these white fields are ripe oats.

The tan/brown fields are wheat.

2. Toned down the brightness of the quarry and the gravel pit.

3. Decreased the number of trees by 25,000 in the 2 woods in the center of the map and large portions (but not all) of the forests in

the northwest corner. I have experienced improved frame rate. I plan to continue to thin out the forests.

4. Modifications to road network.

5. Cleaned up some road intersections. I am aware of others than need work.

6. Added road reflector posts on some of the roads. Unfortunately they are backwards from the actual German posts. Not much I can do

about this.

7. Corrected building heights which where above or below grade (ie "floating" or "sunk")

Plus other miscellaneous corrections and improvements.

V.82 4 May 2008

1. Further improvements on satellite map.

2. Eliminated another 30,000 trees. Frame rate continues to improve.

3. Fixed several more ugly intersections.

4. Objects added: Additional road reflector posts, road signs, street lights in 2 towns so far, miscellaneous objects.

5. More building height problems addressed.

6. Longitude/Latitude changed to make it compatible with BAS f (this change is not included in the readme file but the change is the

PBO).

v.90 16 May 2008

1. Reduction of tree quantity in all forests now complete - a major task. Frame rates should show improvement.

2. Added additional fields with hay rolls.

3. Added brush to numerous locations along roads, lanes, and between fields. This consists of krovi_long bush type sunk 1.5 meters

below the surface. When used in combination with Durg's Vegetation Fix, these low bushes provide concealment when the player is prone.

4. Eliminated incorrectly located road reflector posts in towns and farm roads.

5. Further improvments in roads and intersections. The road smoothing script doesn't seem to be going the best job for some reason,

and many roads remain somewhat bumpy.

6. More improvements in the satellite image, toning down the bright fields.

7. I continue to find floating or sunk buildings which I am fixing. Some I swear I have already addressed. Either my memory is

bonkers (probable) or Visitor has gremlins (possible).

8. Odds and ends you probably won't notice.

v.91 20 May 2008 Minor Update

1. Ladders and doors now work. Thanks to Fitzee on the BIS forums for his help solving my problems with this.

2. Fixed a mask conflict at the quarry entrance.

v.94 5 June 2008 (Plain Version - looks like previous versions)

1. Satellite image improvements.

2. Continued work correcting minor problems.

v.94HV 5 June 2008 (Heavy Vegetation Version)

1 & 2 As above.

3. Edge growth added to forests. Expect lower frame rates. Great for ambushing the opponent.

v.94XHV 5 June 2008 (Extra Heavy Vegetation Version)

1-3. As above

4. Because the edge growth creates a "hollow forest", this version adds a "minimal" amount of vegetation to forest interiors to break

up line of sight. Expect lower frame rates. I have experienced some extremely "exciting" engagements in forests with this version,

but you will probably have to crank down your visibility range and visual options to get decent FPS. Of course, if the mission is

contained to forest areas you really don't need to have the visibility range set high. And if it causes too much lag, drop back and

use either the "plain" version or the "Heavy Vegetation" version.

V1.0

Hundreds of minor fixes and improvements to object placement, satellite image and terrain mask.

Major noticeable changes:

1. Terrain speed modifiers fixed so vehicles will not speed across farm fields.

2. Satellite map resegmented from 512 pixels squares to 256 pixels squares. This increases the playing area of the map on the east

and south edge. It also allows for improvement in terrain mask. For example, there are areas the true meadow terrain now.

3. All versions can be placed in your addon folders and appear as seperate maps in the editor.

4. Signature keys included with each PBO.

5. Time to complete: 19 January 2008 to 27 June 2008. Approximately 340 hours.

Versions:

Schmalfelden V1.0- no undergrowth at forest edge or inside forests. Provides the best FPS. (Note there is no "a" version as there was no problem with this file)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xwvbf0

http://mihd.net/yqtp2u9

http://www.mediafire.com/?gtucb3ri42g

SchmalfeldenHV (Heavy Vegetation) V1.0a- Undergrowth at forest edges provides excellent concealment. Expect lower FPS.

Version 1.0a fixes internal references, eliminating the "snow" terrain (no satellite image) problems.

http://mihd.net/6svnbzq

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ab22cj

SchmalfeldenXHV (Extra Heavy Vegetation) V1.1 - Undergrowth at forest edge and inside forests. Count on low FPS unless you decrease your settings.

Version 1.0a fixes internal references, eliminating the "snow" terrain (no satellite image) problems.

Version 1.1 Eliminates misplaced stray buildings sitting in the middle of farm fields.

http://mihd.net/z5rcefu

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1p15s0

Source files for use in Visitor 3. Please checkout the readme file included. Modify the map to make it the best for you! Aspirin not included - see you in the Map Editing (Visitor) forum.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ajnv6m (209 MB)

Please download and enjoy MrCash2009's outstanding collection of 50 Schmalfelden landscape shots. Makes a great slideshow screensaver or wallpaper. MrCash2009 authorizes mirroring and use of his images.

http://mihd.net/rg37zci

I've created a planning map from Visitor which is more detailed than the map you get in the ArmA editor.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gkii4nmbjtz

Here is a small sample, reduced in resolution. Contour lines are at 1 meter intervals.

SchmalfeldenPlanningMapSample.jpg

Thanks to all the site mirroring these files. I know I appreciate all the work and expense that goes into hosting and maintaining the sites and files.

This is friggen awesome! Beautiful work! How big is this in total though?

Great island ! really good work !

Something is missing?!

Some vehicle to drive o it !!

If i remember correcht for OFP it was the LLW (Low Land Larrior)

for Netherland Armord troops and Vehicle!!

ButFor ARMA ( Dont Know nener.gifnener.gifnener.gif )

Topic fixed. smile_o.gif

Good to see you finally released your work and even though it might be not 100% perfect or what you had in mind, I'm sure people (including me) will enjoy it. smile_o.gif

very nice map. reminds me of a part in germany - schwobaländli wink_o.gif

the forest is much to dense, performance like and also from the feeling standing in a german forest ... and yes i am german biggrin_o.gif

cut half of the trees in the wood and it will be perfect.

very nice work !!

may u can make ortschilder wink_o.gif and such like vorfahrtsschider biggrin_o.gif

greetz

themaster

Very impressive work sir. smile_o.gif

I followed your advice and took a ride on a bike over the island and i must say, it feels like germany. Especially when driving through the woods i felt like i was in south german countryside.

I have one request tho. I feel the satellite imagery layer is too bright. I will try and photoshop it a bit and show you if it is a satisfying result. Call me nitpicky but it bothers me because ArmA's textures are much darker than the colors from the sat image.

Thank you very much for your work, you made my day (if not the next few weeks) notworthy.gif

Very, very nice notworthy.gif

Kind of reminds me of the ArmaII screenshots smile_o.gif

Absolutely Awesome!!! Looks like "Home sweet Home"...

But may i suggest that you recommend a modfolder for the installation, rather than to put it "just" in your addons Folder ?

Best Regards, Christian

Exactly the kind of maps which are appreciated here, large and tanks-friendly landscapes.

First-rate piece of work, hats off.

Regards,

TB

Nice the towns are exactly how I love to see them smile_o.gif

Just set up a nice small mission, and AI is still looking for some nice fireing positions instead of just aimless shooting. So thumbs up for your work! biggrin_o.gif

Also a big thank you for some extra inspiration wink_o.gif

Nice map, particulary the Village !! (i am french, so...)

Very very good job, probably the best map on ArmA !

beautiful & realistic = inlove.gif

Great map but there is some serious performance issues concerning the forests. They need to be much less dense as at the moment i get very low frame rates on low settings whereas in sarani i get very smooth rates on medium settings.

That the forests eats fps doesn't surprise me and is described in the readme, together with some tips to improve performance.

Quote[/b] ]I have one request tho. I feel the satellite imagery layer is too bright. I will try and photoshop it a bit and show you if it is a satisfying result. Call me nitpicky but it bothers me because ArmA's textures are much darker than the colors from the sat image.

I would appreciate an example of what you think would be good. You're not the first to mention this. The saturation looks fine on my monitor - but that's me. Oh man, you know it might look good to me because I have Anomalous trichromactic color deficiency. I never thought of that.

Quote[/b] ]the forest is much to dense, performance like and also from the feeling standing in a german forest ... and yes i am german - cut half of the trees in the wood and it will be perfect.

I am continuing to work on that - another 2000 removed today so far. Half the trees out in order be to realistic? Have you been thinning out the forests since I was "playing Army" in them in the 80's smile_o.gif