Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

MLOD of all vehicle and soldier models released!

I wonder why BIS hasn't released the MLOD's for QG etc

They were probably made by one of the blokes at Black Element Software so perhaps aren't the IP of BIS and they can't release the MLODs.

Despite being based on BIS models they would have been created under a different EULA to the full MLOD library BIS released.

Likewise, if you base your soldiers only on the player model from the original set of MLODs that came with the first set of tools and don't use any parts from the other soldier MLODs, you're not obligated by the open source agreement.

If you read some of the FAQ stuff in the first post you'll see that you don't have to provide source MLODs to people in the release package but you have no right to object to people decompiling the ODOL from binary data and modifying it; so for 90% of people they still need to ask for the MLOD from you if they want to modify it.

There may be other circumstances where your model doesn't include just yours and BIS' work (i.e you might have parts from another community member's model) whereby you yourself can't pass on the entire model to others without permission from the person you got the other parts from.

It's a pretty good system that encourages sharing of sources, while making sure we're aware of where the work we use comes from, and who we should credit for it.

I remember reading in a EULA for modding tools along time ago and i came across a section that stated any and all work created using the tools that were released for the game were the property of the software Company.The Developers made the game and the tools so they owned anything made with these tools.

Actually sounds reasonable if you think about it.Though this has nothing to do with community side of things i thought i would mention it.I have no idea if this applies to Bis tools.

From what I know, this is not true.

The work is NOT becoming the property of BI.

Best to read that EULA again.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again... EULA's are hardly ever worth the paper they are printed on. I wouldn't loose any sleep over them. Often, they're designed by the Publisher for ass-covering and contain many things that are unenforceable.

That said... I think the BIS MLOD use agreement is fine. Personally, I give any source out to almost anyone who asks (except that idiot acer1961 who seems to insist every single thing I have ever made is directly ported from FSX; he gets nothing except my laughter when sends me PMs). The only time I don't release something is when I've purchased it, and that license doesn't allow me to give it away. Or, when its too big to upload somewhere.

I think the status quo is fine, works well. More people just need to make their stuff open source, and things get much easier.

Texture Rules what's allowed and what's not

I have arma sample models and their textures in my p drive is it allowed to re path the textures to the model so it is textured again ?

Some models see arma2 textures as well are these allowed to be used?

I read in a post in another thread that said you were not allowed to do the above but I am confused as in this thread it says you can.

I have seen the arma 1 hotel with its arma1 textures on fallujah did he need bi approval to use it? also the ffa terrorist coyota and pickup use arma1 textures that have been modified but have been used ?

cheers if any 1 can answer I read the eula but see no ref to textures just mlods

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

rvmats allowed textures not without permission , never heard BIS refusing this so its simply an e-mail to ask .

so your ok if its arma addon release you just stick original rvmat in and no textures

Edited by Thromp

cheers Thromp was getting worried for a while as have done loads of model rocks and features that use the bis rocks rvmats and ground textures.

Thromp who would be the guy to go to and ask in bis for some textures or models for use just so i know as i would like to get permission to use an oa wall as i have been trying to replicate the oa walls textures with out any luck so thought if bis would let me i would like to make them from the original to match them in game better.

Placebo or Dwarden should be able to help i reckon

Question regarding first paragraph of the License:

1) Bohemia Interactive grants to you a personal, nonexclusive License to open, modify and distribute the ArmA Sample Models for the purpose of designing, developing, testing, and producing non-commercial game content for PC game ArmA and its sequels or expansion packs.

Bold mine

Does it mean, that I am allowed to use this pack to create content for ArmA: Cold War Assault released in 2011, which is (in fact) updated OFP: Resistance? From technical point of view it's not a problem to block OFP users from using such addon...

Cold War Assault is a prequel to ArmA1, not a sequel ;)

Porting to the next game in the series is allowed (for example SLA troops from ArmA1 that were released for use in ArmA2), porting to an older game is not. Porting between different BIS IPs (Take on Helicopters, Carrier Command etc) needs permission from BIS.