Sign in to follow this  
Zorbtek

Sarah hotel wip

Hello,

I'm working on an object addon called the Sarah Hotel (sounded nice considering BIS called the Island Sarah and it happens to be my lovers name)

The thing is gigantic ingame and doesn't seem to have any problems ingame as of yet.  I wanted to see how ArmA handles gigantic objects compared to OFP, so far so good.

(To put the scale in perspective, that thing sticking out at the top will be a Helipad, an MH-6 fits on it right now) 

I'm looking for someone who may be able to texture it for me when I finish the model off.

**img removed by moderator - file size to large **

Almost forgot to say, it's based off of the Burj Al Arab in Dubai, only I wanted to give it my own flavor.  I think when it's done it's going to fit perfectly with Sahrani.  (Will look beautiful with textures and lights, setting the clock time to night or dawn)

du_dxb_burj_al_arab_a.jpg

Wow burj al Arab rofl.gif

Anyway looks good. Any variation on Sakkah would be great.

ohhh yea my bad, hahaha... I was thinking of the Taipei 101 for some reason

Can you move around in it? or it's just scenery?

PLEASE MAKE INTERIOR PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!

it would be so awesome to land on roof with MP swats and rush in and kill and oen everybody and terrorists and then exit from ground floor when all other floors have´been cleared biggrin_o.gif

I think like OFP, Arma has an object limit of 64x64... other wise your geometry starts to play up and not work.

I have not read for certain its still there in arma but it seemed to be for me when I tried an object bigger than 65m.

What you will need to do as explained in other threads dealing with the same problem, is to split it up into lots of small bits and place them together in game.

looks good so far, would be sweet though with a larger helipad so it can carry uh-60 choppers or chinooks size choppers too, for them big rescue missions or evacs.

Also some stairways like in enterable Bi hotel building all the way up would be nice and some enterable rooms and floors on some places a little random here and there.

Would be cool to make a Die hard 1 Nakatomi plaza style take over in mp with one team as terrorists and one team as police, swat units working against eachother. smile_o.gif

Interesting building...

I remember some ArmA developer (Suma?) saying objects shouldn't exceed 50x50x50 meters? And what is the 64 m limit Bracken is talking about? Is it a more accurate value.

I would be interested to hear what causes this limitation. And what exactly happens when it is exceeded.

I have been thinking of modelling large buildings so this information could be useful to me.

And what exactly happens when it is exceeded.

IIRC, the geolod either stops working completely or just functions way incorrectly.

Quote[/b] ]IIRC, the geolod either stops working completely or just functions way incorrectly.

though nobody can say what it means )) there was a big ship in ofp, and i tried import another big one into arma -works good enough...

If size is an issue you could just break it up into separate sections, then put them together either in Visitor or the Mission editor I guess.

I would put my thumbs up for BIS developers if they took the time to write the limits for 3D modelling and texturing into a nice little document, which would then be published for everyone to read.

There is even community.bistudio.com ready for publishing... I couldn't find anything relating to model size, except some polygon/vertex limit talk from the OFP modelling article, from the Biki, but that's hardly enough.

Anyone who knows well the limits in OFP & ArmA could write a Biki article? Please. It <s>could</s> should be a separate page only for this information.

The geometry works fine, I think the problem is going to be collision detection (I remember making giant skyscrapers in OFP and not having any geometry probs) But the collision detection was a very dissapointing limitation.

Zorbtek

You have been around long enough to know the forum rules.

Your initial post contained an image weighing in at 146kb.

Consider this a slap on the wrist.

Thankyou.

Does stacking parts of a building work?

I guess it should have to be done with a script, not in World editor program?

I'm fearing the parts could not be stable.

well why cant the bis devs just recode that lil bit of the exe to allow bigger objects?

it would be so awesome to land on roof with MP swats and rush in and kill and oen everybody and terrorists and then exit from ground floor when all other floors have´been cleared :D

You know that the "Burj al Arab (Chicago Beach Tower Hotel), Dubai" has 60 (52) floors?

http://www.thehighrisepages.de/hhkartei/dubburja.htm

So if you land on the roof and rush in to clear every f*cking floor it takes for certain much more than 5 hours.

But if this project comes true this will beyond doubt encourage someone to create a very very cool "Die Hard"-mission :)

Zorbtek

You have been around long enough to know the forum rules.

Your initial post contained an image weighing in at 146kb.

Consider this a slap on the wrist.

Thankyou.

No reason to delete the whole link! I cannot see the addon now sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Would be so awesome to see this in the game. I seriously wish that this project doesn't die. Thumbs up thumbs-up.gif